What you bought this week - 2020 edition

Heaven Angel

22 hours ago, Snake said:

Screenshot_20201201-012742_PS App.jpg

Never played a Persona game before....so here we go

Welcome to Persona!!

Do keep in mind one thing though (I'm assuming you got this from PSN India): Play the game on your Indian PSN - even if your remaining trophies from other games are on US PSN. Atlus will routinely send you awesome goodies based on your progress, so long as you upload/sync associated trophy (It will be sent to your registered email which purchased the game) and you will miss out on it if you play it on another account.

I think one of the users here missed out on it, when I initially posted about it because of above reason. @CarbonCore It was you who could not get the goodies due to playing on US account after Indian purchase right?

Edited by roun90
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, roun90 said:

Welcome to Persona!!

Do keep in mind one thing though (I'm assuming you got this from PSN India): Play the game on your Indian PSN - even if your remaining trophies from other games are on US PSN. Atlus will routinely send you awesome goodies based on your progress, so long as you upload/sync associated trophy (It will be sent to your registered email which purchased the game) and you will miss out on it if you play it on another account.

I think one of the users here missed out on it, when I initially posted about it because of above reason. @CarbonCore It was you who could not get the goodies due to playing on US account after Indian purchase right?

Yup, bought on Indian account and playing on it too...Thanks

45 minutes ago, Snake said:

Disease?

This game is a disease.  it’s so addictive literally. P5 was my first persona game as well and I was just blown away. P5R is just on another whole new level with new semester.  Once you complete this game you can’t play any other single player games for some time it’s that addictive and I never thought it to be. Best game ever 2020. 

11 hours ago, GameAnalyzer said:

This game is a disease.  it’s so addictive literally. P5 was my first persona game as well and I was just blown away. P5R is just on another whole new level with new semester.  Once you complete this game you can’t play any other single player games for some time it’s that addictive and I never thought it to be. Best game ever 2020. 

hhhhmmmmm

* looks at DP *

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, adity said:

I've played one on 3ds. Persona games are way better imo. The core combat is similar but the tone is way different. It's post apocalyptic and super depressing setting. Also none of the life Sim elements which Persona has. 

Yeah, Persona is mostly high school setting with comedic and fun elements, and hence making it more accessible to people.

Megami Tensei tends to have darker and more serious storylines, but overall great games in their own way.

Anyway, reason I asked is that if any of you are interested in delving into that, Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne is getting a HD remaster early next year. Absolutely loved this game back in PS2.

31 minutes ago, gecko89 said:

Yeah, Persona is mostly high school setting with comedic and fun elements, and hence making it more accessible to people.

Megami Tensei tends to have darker and more serious storylines, but overall great games in their own way.

Anyway, reason I asked is that if any of you are interested in delving into that, Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne is getting a HD remaster early next year. Absolutely loved this game back in PS2.

Just to add one more crucial differentiator. Persona demands that you build social bonds with other NPCs in the game. This high school sim part is what makes is stand out and endears it to most folks.

AFAIK, Shin Megami Tensei games lack this component and are relatively more straight-forward in comparison. 

Edited by l33tmaniac

25 minutes ago, l33tmaniac said:

Just to add one more crucial differentiator. Persona demands that you build social bonds with other NPCs in the game. This high school sim part is what makes is stand out and endears it to most folks.

AFAIK, Shin Megami Tensei games lack this component and are relatively more straight-forward in comparison. 

Yuss.

Also, SMT is more difficult if I remember correctly.

4 hours ago, gecko89 said:

Ok, I'm just curious. Ya'll played the Shin Megami games? of which Persona is actually a spinoff.

AFAIK Shin Megami Tensei and Persona are both spin-offs of the base series - which is Megami Tensei. There are I think around 7-8 series which are spin-offs, including stuff like Digital Devil Saga, Devil Survivor, Demikids etc. Persona by itself, I don't think is a spin-off of SMT, but both are parallel spin-offs.

That said, it's best to ignore everything if you're playing Persona. Don't want anyone getting the idea that to play Persona 5, you need to play an obscure 1980s set of games. Persona is it's own series. Especially since Persona 3. Persona 3 did not even have the "Shin Megami Tensei" title in Japan, they just added it to the US since Nocturne was big at the time. Ever since P4G when Persona stood on it's own - the SMT title was discarded.

Now, Persona is too big a franchise for SMT. It's far bigger than SMT ever was. In fact, I won't be surprised if they market SMT5 as a spin-off or "From the Makers of" of Persona.

Quality wise though - I think current Persona is far above SMT. SMT these days is a glorified dungeon crawler with a healthy dose of depression. Persona is in the real world and the characters feel real, the relationships and friendships you make, the interactions - all feel realistic and amazing. You feel like you're forming friendships, the city feels alive and when it's time for the game to end - you feel sad that your time with the quirky cast is coming to an end. SMT discards all that and without Confidants/Social Links - it's like 50% of the game is stripped off in favor of only dungeon crawling aspect - which is not where the most fun lies. This is just my opinion ofc.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, roun90 said:

AFAIK Shin Megami Tensei and Persona are both spin-offs of the base series - which is Megami Tensei. There are I think around 7-8 series which are spin-offs, including stuff like Digital Devil Saga, Devil Survivor, Demikids etc. Persona by itself, I don't think is a spin-off of SMT, but both are parallel spin-offs.

That said, it's best to ignore everything if you're playing Persona. Don't want anyone getting the idea that to play Persona 5, you need to play an obscure 1980s set of games. Persona is it's own series. Especially since Persona 3. Persona 3 did not even have the "Shin Megami Tensei" title in Japan, they just added it to the US since Nocturne was big at the time. Ever since P4G when Persona stood on it's own - the SMT title was discarded.

Now, Persona is too big a franchise for SMT. It's far bigger than SMT ever was. In fact, I won't be surprised if they market SMT5 as a spin-off or "From the Makers of" of Persona.

Quality wise though - I think current Persona is far above SMT. SMT these days is a glorified dungeon crawler with a healthy dose of depression. Persona is in the real world and the characters feel real, the relationships and friendships you make, the interactions - all feel realistic and amazing. You feel like you're forming friendships, the city feels alive and when it's time for the game to end - you feel sad that your time with the quirky cast is coming to an end. SMT discards all that and without Confidants/Social Links - it's like 50% of the game is stripped off in favor of only dungeon crawling aspect - which is not where the most fun lies. This is just my opinion ofc.

That makes sense, Persona feels livelier because of the setting alone, not to mention the story and interactions are more welcoming to new gamers.

I didn't mean to imply that Persona is in any way weaker than SMT. My intention was just to ask if anyone has played it, not to make comparisons. The last SMT game I played was more than 15years ago, and I remember having a blast. My disc broke just before I could finish the game, and getting a game like that in India was freaking difficult back then. I'd suggest people to check it out and consider it, with or without comparing it with the Persona series.

19 hours ago, GameAnalyzer said:

I got this on a whim over the weekend. Never played any JRPG or turn-based whatever this thing is. Do you need prior experience of such games before jumping into this? If yes I’m SOL :fear1:

4 minutes ago, gecko89 said:

That makes sense, Persona feels livelier because of the setting alone, not to mention the story and interactions are more welcoming to new gamers.

I didn't mean to imply that Persona is in any way weaker than SMT. My intention was just to ask if anyone has played it, not to make comparisons. The last SMT game I played was more than 15years ago, and I remember having a blast. My disc broke just before I could finish the game, and getting a game like that in India was freaking difficult back then. I'd suggest people to check it out and consider it, with or without comparing it with the Persona series.

No need to go back to 15 year old games or even the 6 year old 3DS ones. SMT5 will be coming to Switch (and maybe even PS4?) in 2021 or 2022 I think.

2 minutes ago, Jigsaw said:

I got this on a whim over the weekend. Never played any JRPG or turn-based whatever this thing is. Do you need prior experience of such games before jumping into this? If yes I’m SOL :fear1:

You don't need to know anything. Just go in blind, play and enjoy the experience. Old stories are not necessaries (Some small easter eggs for fans, that's about it) and the game does a good job of explaining the basics to you. You can play with that itself, but there is a ton of depth that you can unlock if you experiment. Just remember - try to complete the Palaces (Dungeons) as as less tries as possible (in 1 try if at all possible, though it might be hard in the beginning) so you can have more time for the Social Aspect of the game.

• Like 1

Just now, radicaldude said:

No. You just need a lot of time 

Time I can find. Just don’t have any experience of the turn based combat mechanics. What I see on YT looks funky and flashy but equally scary :fear1:

1 minute ago, roun90 said:

No need to go back to 15 year old games or even the 6 year old 3DS ones. SMT5 will be coming to Switch (and maybe even PS4?) in 2021 or 2022 I think.

You don't need to know anything. Just go in blind, play and enjoy the experience. Old stories are not necessaries (Some small easter eggs for fans, that's about it) and the game does a good job of explaining the basics to you. You can play with that itself, but there is a ton of depth that you can unlock if you experiment. Just remember - try to complete the Palaces (Dungeons) as as less tries as possible (in 1 try if at all possible, though it might be hard in the beginning) so you can have more time for the Social Aspect of the game.

thanks bro I’ll definitely keep that in mind. :good:

2 minutes ago, roun90 said:

Exactly what I said earlier, I wasn't suggesting to go play it on PS2 -_-

HD Remaster is coming early 2021 for Switch and PS4. Already released in Japan if I'm not mistaken.

1 minute ago, adity said:

Nope. It was my first ever rpg and I had zero issues getting into the groove. There are some hot tips which will make your life easier but the game explains things well enough. 

Yeah I have read it’s the Baap of time-sink games. No idea what I’m about to get myself into. ?