Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ten24bytes

PlayStation Plus membership prices slashed

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, KnackChap said:

 

Ps plus Service makes a lot money for them and has the most potential to grow. India is not a big market and not all PS4 users are plus subscribers. they're trying to reach a lot more people with lower prices. Don't be surprised if they start reducing PS4 game prices too. They did the same with PS2 and PS3 games.

 

Yeah. Im not a PS Plus member, I only play offline and Apex/Warzone online, so I don't need PS Plus.

 

Even after the price drop, I considered subbing, but I don't see a point in putting in 3K if Im not gonna use it. Not dying to play online, and more importantly the free games are pretty weak.

Even if its 3000 bucks a year now, I don't think its really value for money anymore if you only sub to it for the two free games a month, and not for online play. 

 

Now, if it worked like a subscription service, allowing me to play past PS Plus titles, I'd consider subbing. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AtheK said:

What do you want me to explain :p

How you use the Xbox as a part of your HT set up. 

 

3 hours ago, KnackChap said:

 

Jio already announced they're going to do something like that (simultaneous cinema + tv release) during the launch of jiofibre. 

Well Jio movies are hardly worth going to the theatre for so maybe not the best example :P

 

56 minutes ago, Joe Cool said:

Still you get the point. Xbox gaming brings is less than 10% or even 5%. MS has infinite money to burn. 

No one has infinite money to burn. Microsoft is doing the typical Silicon Valley thing. Have a good idea, medium execution, and kill with brute force, which in their case, is money. 

Doesn't last forever. Nadella is too sharp to let this go on for too long. 

 

Anyway, I hope full catalog subscription is figured out by someone properly. Apple Arcade and XGP are a small start. Does Steam have anything like that? They can pull it off. 

 

Edited by achilles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
No one has infinite money to burn. Microsoft is doing the typical Silicon Valley thing. Have a good idea, medium execution, and kill with brute force, which in their case, is money. 
Doesn't last forever. Nadella is too sharp to let this go on for too long. 
 
Anyway, I hope full catalog subscription is figured out by someone properly. Apple Arcade and XGP are a small start. Does Steam have anything like that? They can pull it off. 
 
UHD Player, Dolby vision and Dolby atmos support. The stock player plays all most all formats of movies. The stock format supports HDR playback, has all OTT apps, so one device does it all.

Sent from my HD1911 using Tapatalk

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Joe Cool said:

Still you get the point. Xbox gaming brings is less than 10% or even 5%. MS has infinite money to burn. 

Microsoft is a publicly listed company. They can't burn money just at the whims of execs. They've to answer their shareholders. Burning money is only tolerated if they have a plan in sight to make money from it (directly or indirectly).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Heaven Angel said:

 

I feel that Xbox is dormant for a while due to past mishaps which I presume we all know and i dont want to rant about the same year. 

 

With context to what you mentioned about regarding the reactionary irrelavance of the prices then it should have been the other way around that if you say that Xbox is dead then it's futile to say that there is a difference in pricing as there's no competition as such. 

 

 

With all the top mp games free like fortnite ,apex and warzone etc surely the sales have decreased , maybe that's a reason for the reduction in price. I think by nextgen mostly all big Mp games including fifa should be free , just pay for the sp player part.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, KnackChap said:

 

Ps plus Service makes a lot money for them and has the most potential to grow. India is not a big market and not all PS4 users are plus subscribers. they're trying to reach a lot more people with lower prices. Don't be surprised if they start reducing PS4 game prices too. They did the same with PS2 and PS3 games.

 

Don't think that will ever happen. As if they reduce the Indian disc price, people will stop buying games online here and if they reduce the PSN India pricing then international audience will start making Indian accounts for considerably cheaper games. 

 

Otherwise 2.5k price point was really perfect for Indian audience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt people pay full price at launch for digital games here anyway, so I think a 3k price point would have been great for physical copies.

 

A world of difference in our buying power.

 

In US 60 bucks is like 3% of salary for someone earning 2000 bucks a month, which most of the working peoplr can make, whereas in India an entry level engineer earns close to 30k per month, making 4k more than 10% of the monthly salary for 1 game which is ridiculous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, playstationdude said:

I doubt people pay full price at launch for digital games here anyway, so I think a 3k price point would have been great for physical copies.

 

A world of difference in our buying power.

 

In US 60 bucks is like 3% of salary for someone earning 2000 bucks a month, which most of the working peoplr can make, whereas in India an entry level engineer earns close to 30k per month, making 4k more than 10% of the monthly salary for 1 game which is ridiculous.

Why do you think we only have 21 active members right now :p

 

With all probability we hardly have 50 regular members, out of which hardly 10 buy games at full price :lol:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, playstationdude said:

I doubt people pay full price at launch for digital games here anyway, so I think a 3k price point would have been great for physical copies.

 

A world of difference in our buying power.

 

In US 60 bucks is like 3% of salary for someone earning 2000 bucks a month, which most of the working peoplr can make, whereas in India an entry level engineer earns close to 30k per month, making 4k more than 10% of the monthly salary for 1 game which is ridiculous.


Seriously? Have you tried what it’s like to live in the US with a $12000 or even $40000 income? After deducting taxes, food, rent, fuel, insurance etc you have nothing left. Even worse if you are sole bread earner in a family.  The cost of medicine/treatment and labor is prohibitively expensive there. In my opinion, the Indian engineer is actually richer considering the lower cost of living and no taxes in that income slab. It is wrong to assume that every American can afford the launch games let alone going to those fancy colleges.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Mysteryman said:


Seriously? Have you tried what it’s like to live in the US with a $12000 or even $40000 income? After deducting taxes, food, rent, fuel, insurance etc you have nothing left. Even worse if you are sole bread earner in a family.  The cost of medicine/treatment and labor is prohibitively expensive there. In my opinion, the Indian engineer is actually richer considering the lower cost of living and no taxes in that income slab. It is wrong to assume that every American can afford the launch games let alone going to those fancy colleges.

Do you probably think a guy with a family earning 30k in India would think about gaming?

 

Dont jump to conclusions. I'm talking about someone who has no family responsibilites.

 

Places like Mc donalds pay 10 bucks an hour to part time workers. A student who works 3 hours a day for pocket money can easily pocket 800-900 dollars a month. 60 bucks is easily affordable im that. 

Whereas here Mc donalds and all dont pay more than 5-6k to part time workers, spending 4k out of that is not even imaginable.

Edited by playstationdude

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, playstationdude said:

Do you probably think a guy with a family earning 30k in India would think about gaming?

 

Dont jump to conclusions. I'm talking about someone who has no family responsibilites.

 

Places like Mc donalds pay 10 bucks an hour to part time workers. A student who works 3 hours a day for pocket money can easily pocket 800-900 dollars a month. 60 bucks is easily affordable im that. 

Whereas here Mc donalds and all dont pay more than 5-6k to part time workers, spending 4k out of that is not even imaginable.


Even without family obligations, gaming is considered expensive for the blue collar employees in US even though it is only fraction of the salaries. You have to consider taxes, rent, medical costs, labor costs which are much higher in the US. They barely make much to save for luxuries. So you cannot assume or compare the quality of livelihoods based on salary alone. 
 

A fun fact. As for McDonald’s and any American chain store, the pricing strategy is different here. The food is actually more expensive in India (even with cheaper local produce, labor and lower taxes) than in the US as their target audience is the upper middle class mostly in cities. 

 

 

Edited by Mysteryman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Mysteryman said:


Even without family obligations, gaming is considered expensive for the blue collar employees in US even though it is only fraction of the salaries. You have to consider taxes, rent, medical costs, labor costs which are much higher in the US. They barely make much to save for luxuries. So you cannot assume or compare the quality of livelihoods based on salary alone. 
 

A fun fact. As for McDonald’s and any American chain store, the pricing strategy is different here. The food is actually more expensive in India (even with cheaper local produce, labor and lower taxes) than in the US as their target audience is the upper middle class mostly in cities. 

 

I don't know much, but if that was the case, why is it that there are so many dudes (and now girls too), streaming on Twitch out of their mom's basement, or standing in queues for buying games day 1?
 

There is a reason we don't get special or Collector's editions in India for most games, that because not many can actually afford that kinda stuff. 
But US gets everything. Sure we now have online stores catering to gamers, but Gamestop has been running in the US since god knows when and they have physical store, which means rent and actual salesman, along with an online website. They're making enough money to keep running, so there are people buying their bullshit T-shirts, and Scuf controllers and random accessories, apart from buying just games. 

 

 

So thats my reasons for why I feel its easier to be a gamer from the states. 

 

PS- It took me 5 years to justify buying a PS4, and I ultimately got it from the US xD 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mysteryman said:


Seriously? Have you tried what it’s like to live in the US with a $12000 or even $40000 income? After deducting taxes, food, rent, fuel, insurance etc you have nothing left. Even worse if you are sole bread earner in a family.  The cost of medicine/treatment and labor is prohibitively expensive there. In my opinion, the Indian engineer is actually richer considering the lower cost of living and no taxes in that income slab. It is wrong to assume that every American can afford the launch games let alone going to those fancy colleges.


But basic necessities are really cheap in US. Even a retail worker working at something like say Walmart, can afford consoles and iPhones there. It is a first world country.

And no, engineers are paid a lot better there. You'll see lot of Indians jumping at the chance to work there as they can earn a lot more in dollars.  Hell, you can go for any stream in US you like and can still earn well. Studying at even a decent college there guarantees a good future. Unlike in India, which is not possible due to over population.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah even if a $6k household keeps 10% as disposable income per month, one game would be 10% of that. For us one game would be entire quota of disposable income for that month. There's a reason why majority of console game sales come from US.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CarbonCore said:

Yeah even if a $6k household keeps 10% as disposable income per month, one game would be 10% of that. For us one game would be entire quota of disposable income for that month. There's a reason why majority of console game sales come from US.


CORRECTION: For 6k per month, it’s relatively a good standard of living for family of 4. This is the target audience. 

Edited by Mysteryman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cyberpunk said:


But basic necessities are really cheap in US. Even a retail worker working at something like say Walmart, can afford consoles and iPhones there. It is a first world country.

And no, engineers are paid a lot better there. You'll see lot of Indians jumping at the chance to work there as they can earn a lot more in dollars.  Hell, you can go for any stream in US you like and can still earn well. Studying at even a decent college there guarantees a good future. Unlike in India, which is not possible due to over population.


Can you elaborate on basic and cheap necessities in the US? If you are talking about food and fuel, that would be it. Even many Americans can not afford living in a city (or a good part of it) now. 
 

Of course electronics are cheaper in the US because manufacturers knows how to price their products and their target market is middle class which forms a large chunk of the US population. However this is not to say that blue collar jobs like Walmart workers can buy new iPhones and consoles just because they can cover the cost. This is an unsustainable financial model. The America from the 70s and 80s doesn’t exist now. 
 

Talk is easy how studying in a decent US college can land you good jobs. It doesn’t work that easily these days unless you have a strong network, talent or part of the STEM fields. 
 

The maths looks simple but in reality it isn’t. 

Edited by Mysteryman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From fighting between which is better between game pass and PSN+ to comparing lives of American and Indian citizen. This thread has been intresting.

But i am here still sitting and wondering why do i even have to pay MS/Sony to play multi-player? I pay the internet guys for the internet connection, I pay the game publisher for the game and the game server, I paid MS/Sony for the hardware to play the said games on. Now why do i again pay to play multi-player on a game i bought? How is this even legal? As far as I know MS/Sony do not provide the game servers then why in the name of everything Holy is this still accepted?

Sent from my ASUS_I001DE using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chirag2001 said:

 

I don't know much, but if that was the case, why is it that there are so many dudes (and now girls too), streaming on Twitch out of their mom's basement, or standing in queues for buying games day 1?
 

There is a reason we don't get special or Collector's editions in India for most games, that because not many can actually afford that kinda stuff. 
But US gets everything. Sure we now have online stores catering to gamers, but Gamestop has been running in the US since god knows when and they have physical store, which means rent and actual salesman, along with an online website. They're making enough money to keep running, so there are people buying their bullshit T-shirts, and Scuf controllers and random accessories, apart from buying just games. 

 

 

So thats my reasons for why I feel its easier to be a gamer from the states. 

 

PS- It took me 5 years to justify buying a PS4, and I ultimately got it from the US xD 


Welcome to the PS4 club. I am sure that you will have lots of fun with it. 
 

I doubt that it is a healthy or secure way to make money from streaming. Since they are young, they are likely used their parent money to buy them and the streaming equipment thinking it is a good investment. Probably less than 1% of them makes good money out of it. The rest will not last long. 

It’s not just about affordability, it is also a question of value. Collector and special editions do not have additional value compared to a standard edition. They look cool at first but whatever edition you have they will gather dust in your shelf and its value won’t increase in time. In the US, they have loads and loads of stuff not just in gaming because they have more purchasing power. Americans are spenders and Indians are savers.


 

 

Edited by Mysteryman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...