Need help choosing between a 3DS or Switch Lite.

So, I have ~200$ and my relative is coming in from the USA in May. I'm leaning towards a 2DS XL (149$) since I mostly want a Nintendo console to play Pokémon and it supports games from Gen4 to Gen7. The Switch Lite is newer and has only SwSh so far but Zelda looks AMAZING. I'm torn and I have no idea which one to get. Switch games are expensive AF here but 3DS games aren't even available anymore. What do I do? 

3 hours ago, Dingbat123 said:

So, I have ~200$ and my relative is coming in from the USA in May. I'm leaning towards a 2DS XL (149$) since I mostly want a Nintendo console to play Pokémon and it supports games from Gen4 to Gen7. The Switch Lite is newer and has only SwSh so far but Zelda looks AMAZING. I'm torn and I have no idea which one to get. Switch games are expensive AF here but 3DS games aren't even available anymore. What do I do? 

Depends on what you value the most. 3DS has a lot of games, but the games are very expensive in India. Either they are over-priced, unavailable or you will be stuck with digital purchases (which means purchasing 3DS eshop codes from 3rd party sites). Switch has a relatively better selection here, as retailers do keep games, especially the big ones like Pokemon. 3DS tech is also pretty dated, and it frankly looks bad to play games in 360p (VCD resolution). On the plus side, there are many creative games like Professor Layton, Phoenix Wright, Rdiant Historia, SMT etc.

As far as Pokemon is concerned, there are 2 games - Let's Go and Sword/Shield. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team is a new one that's just released (I think). Also Sw/Sh is getting more content in the form of DLC this year, and any and all Pokemon releases will be coming to Switch only. Zelda is amazing if you are a fan of open world and just want to explore. Other amazing games such as Super Mario Odyssey, Donkey Kong, Animal Crossing, Rune Factory etc. And Switch games look really amazing at HD resolutions. S3witch is also getting remasters/remakes of Wii U and some 3DS games.

So ultimately, just ask yourself this - Do you want an immediate big library of games, with very little to no new games in future and with old tech? Or do you want a lesser library of games, but which will expand in future, and with far better tech? Ultimately, that will help your answer.

But if you are getting a Switch, if possible, try to get the full version (Not the lite) and a Pro Controller. Game looks excellent in Handheld, but looks absolutely amazing in docked (TV) mode. Almost as good as a PS4 game.

29 minutes ago, roun90 said:

Depends on what you value the most. 3DS has a lot of games, but the games are very expensive in India. Either they are over-priced, unavailable or you will be stuck with digital purchases (which means purchasing 3DS eshop codes from 3rd party sites). Switch has a relatively better selection here, as retailers do keep games, especially the big ones like Pokemon. 3DS tech is also pretty dated, and it frankly looks bad to play games in 360p (VCD resolution). On the plus side, there are many creative games like Professor Layton, Phoenix Wright, Rdiant Historia, SMT etc.

As far as Pokemon is concerned, there are 2 games - Let's Go and Sword/Shield. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team is a new one that's just released (I think). Also Sw/Sh is getting more content in the form of DLC this year, and any and all Pokemon releases will be coming to Switch only. Zelda is amazing if you are a fan of open world and just want to explore. Other amazing games such as Super Mario Odyssey, Donkey Kong, Animal Crossing, Rune Factory etc. And Switch games look really amazing at HD resolutions. S3witch is also getting remasters/remakes of Wii U and some 3DS games.

So ultimately, just ask yourself this - Do you want an immediate big library of games, with very little to no new games in future and with old tech? Or do you want a lesser library of games, but which will expand in future, and with far better tech? Ultimately, that will help your answer.

But if you are getting a Switch, if possible, try to get the full version (Not the lite) and a Pro Controller. Game looks excellent in Handheld, but looks absolutely amazing in docked (TV) mode. Almost as good as a PS4 game.

Thanks for the reply! I'm not interested in the docked Switch because I'm never at home and the Switch lite is in my budget. 

9 hours ago, Dingbat123 said:

Thanks for the reply! I'm not interested in the docked Switch because I'm never at home and the Switch lite is in my budget. 

I personally have used both and love both 3DS and Switch. But in your case, just ask yourself regarding future-proofing - Switch is far more future-proof and will continuously get you games. 3DS - the existing games are most likely all you will have. So if you like Nintendo and Nintendo games - you might have to get Switch in future. On the other hand, as you said, 3DS has a big library of games - now. Anyway it's your call. 

Anyway, that's just my opinion. Do what's best for you and enjoy :thumbsup:!!!

Yes, even I've always wanted to play all the Pokemon games, which would mean buying a 3DS. But despite that, I think its better to go for the Switch or Switch Lite. 

(But I've never owned a Nintendo console, so I agree with @roun90. You may not get enough Pokemon games, or a chance to play the old ones but plenty of other stuff to play) 

46 minutes ago, roun90 said:

I personally have used both and love both 3DS and Switch. But in your case, just ask yourself regarding future-proofing - Switch is far more future-proof and will continuously get you games. 3DS - the existing games are most likely all you will have. So if you like Nintendo and Nintendo games - you might have to get Switch in future. On the other hand, as you said, 3DS has a big library of games - now. Anyway it's your call. 

Anyway, that's just my opinion. Do what's best for you and enjoy :thumbsup:!!!

41 minutes ago, Chirag2001 said:

Yes, even I've always wanted to play all the Pokemon games, which would mean buying a 3DS. But despite that, I think its better to go for the Switch or Switch Lite. 

(But I've never owned a Nintendo console, so I agree with @roun90. You may not get enough Pokemon games, or a chance to play the old ones but plenty of other stuff to play) 

Yeah, I've decided to get the Switch. I'll use just Citra and play the 3DS Pokémon games on PC. 

40 minutes ago, Dingbat123 said:

Yeah, I've decided to get the Switch. I'll use just Citra and play the 3DS Pokémon games on PC. 

You can play the GameBoy and DS ones on an emulator. Just download an emulator apk on your phone/tablet if that works. Im assuming thats similar to Citra?

Thats how I played a few of the Pokemon games. 

Edited by Chirag2001

55 minutes ago, Chirag2001 said:

You can play the GameBoy and DS ones on an emulator. Just download an emulator apk on your phone/tablet if that works. Im assuming thats similar to Citra?

Thats how I played a few of the Pokemon games. 

I've already played Gen1 through Gen5. It's Gen6 and Gen7 I haven't played. Citra so far isn't that great on mobile. 

38 minutes ago, Dingbat123 said:

I've already played Gen1 through Gen5. It's Gen6 and Gen7 I haven't played. Citra so far isn't that great on mobile. 

Okay. I played em a few years back, dont remember if I used Citra or something else. Gen 6 is X&Y if I remember correctly, Kalos?

I haven't played Sinnoh onwards. Sorry I don't know the gens, I didnt really get to play much.

My love for Pokemon came from the anime not the games. 

1 hour ago, Chirag2001 said:

Okay. I played em a few years back, dont remember if I used Citra or something else. Gen 6 is X&Y if I remember correctly, Kalos?

I haven't played Sinnoh onwards. Sorry I don't know the gens, I didnt really get to play much.

My love for Pokemon came from the anime not the games. 

Yeah, Gen 6 is Kalos (X/Y) and Gen 7 is Alola (S/M and US/UM). 

1 hour ago, Dingbat123 said:

Yeah, Gen 6 is Kalos (X/Y) and Gen 7 is Alola (S/M and US/UM). 

Have played Gen 7 (S/M, not US/UM) and frankly - it's not great. There are no Gym Battles, which are replaced by ridiculous "Trials" that are boring mini-dungeons in themselves. And the Ultra-evolutions are gone, in favor of Z-Moves, which are entertaining for a bit. And the gamplay, look, story etc. are the most kiddish out of all Pokemon games.

Overall, Switch games are far better. Let's Go has a major life-convenience, in that you can see what Pokemon is on the grass in the over-world before engaging, which is a major life and time saver, as you can skip all the Ratatas and Pidgeys before encounter. But Wild Pokemon Battles are gone (Except legendaries - you proceed directly to capturing on Let's Go), so that might be polarizing, though I did like it (Trainer battles are still there, and we anyway mowed down easily anyway)

Sword/Shield though, is the best in the series IMO. Great graphics and proper graphics and animations for all Pokemon. Gigantimaxing is fun and adds tons to Gym Battles. There are proper raids which adds co=op and makes MP much more fun, a pretty decent open world (In the form of Wild Area) which gives freedom to roam and explore etc. There is no Victory Road in Sw/Sh (All Gym Battles and Pokemon Leagues are like major football events, so roaming in a cave makes no sense), but it's replaced by another dungeon for story purposes.

Oh and both S/M and the Switch Games (Let's Go + Sw/Sh) gets rid of HMs so that crap is finally gone.

21 minutes ago, roun90 said:

Have played Gen 7 (S/M, not US/UM) and frankly - it's not great. There are no Gym Battles, which are replaced by ridiculous "Trials" that are boring mini-dungeons in themselves. And the Ultra-evolutions are gone, in favor of Z-Moves, which are entertaining for a bit. And the gamplay, look, story etc. are the most kiddish out of all Pokemon games.

Overall, Switch games are far better. Let's Go has a major life-convenience, in that you can see what Pokemon is on the grass in the over-world before engaging, which is a major life and time saver, as you can skip all the Ratatas and Pidgeys before encounter. But Wild Pokemon Battles are gone (Except legendaries - you proceed directly to capturing on Let's Go), so that might be polarizing, though I did like it (Trainer battles are still there, and we anyway mowed down easily anyway)

Sword/Shield though, is the best in the series IMO. Great graphics and proper graphics and animations for all Pokemon. Gigantimaxing is fun and adds tons to Gym Battles. There are proper raids which adds co=op and makes MP much more fun, a pretty decent open world (In the form of Wild Area) which gives freedom to roam and explore etc. There is no Victory Road in Sw/Sh (All Gym Battles and Pokemon Leagues are like major football events, so roaming in a cave makes no sense), but it's replaced by another dungeon for story purposes.

Oh and both S/M and the Switch Games (Let's Go + Sw/Sh) gets rid of HMs so that crap is finally gone.

How does the EXP Share work in SwSh? I've heard it's annoying and you can't turn it off. 

31 minutes ago, Dingbat123 said:

How does the EXP Share work in SwSh? I've heard it's annoying and you can't turn it off. 

There is no reduction in exp and all 6 Pokemon in your party will get exp equally. There is no "Exp Share" item and it's directly in the game design itself.

Is it annoying? It depends. Are you planning on doing a self-created challenge run where you purposely don't want to give Pokemon exp? Then it might be annoying for you. I personally, like to level up my Pokemon so I loved that feature (Unlike earlier exp shares where exp was divided among all Pokemon, here everyone gets the full exp). Most of the complaints mainly came from the challenge runners. Even Min-maxers didn't have much complaints as you can do EV and IV training for Pokemon separately down the line.