Coronavirus

hope

12 hours ago, cyberpunk said:

Thank God coronavirus didn’t start in India, it lacks China’s grit: Ex-Goldman Sachs chief

https://theprint.in/world/no-way-indian-govt-could-have-reacted-how-china-has-jim-oneill-on-coronavirus-outbreak/379594/

Such a dumb and juvenile statement to make right now.

I absolutely despise China's government but his reasoning - 

“…there’s absolutely no way that the quality of Indian governance could move to react in the way that the Chinese have done, that’s the good side of the Chinese model, and I think you could probably say the same about Brazil too.”

isnt wrong however much it hurts your nationalistic pride. We cant even handle events that we know will happen every year. Dengue, pollution in winters, roads in monsoon etc. all come around like clockwork every year and our response is pathetic every single time.  

Administratively speaking, our government (local or national) is an absolute failure festival. 

As per TV news, 2nd death from Coronavirus reported in India. This is the first death in Delhi. Deceased was a 69 year old woman, who got the COVID19 from her son who returned from abroad. She had some underlying complications

Also Theaters, Gyms and Swimming Pools to be closed from tonight in several cities of Maharashtra like Mumbai, Thane, Pune, Navi Mumbai, pimpri Chinchwad etc. Status of malls and hotels unclear (Some sites are saying those are open, others are saying those are also to be closed)

@Aftrunner I was reading a post about this on quora, and the person who answered made some (what I feel) highly relevant points. He basically said - Right from January, when entire West was ignoring the virus and only restricted teavel to and from Wuhan, we were one of the only ones who stopped visits to and from China completely. When virus started spreading, we were one of the only ones who quickly expanded that list to stop travel to several countries like Thailand, Korea, Japan etc. - even though Japan threatened us that it will negatively impact the bullet train deal. We also have a test for finding COVID19, which, while it takes longer than China to give results, is far more accurate. We also quickly evacuated our citizens who were trapped abroad. So it's not like the Indian govt. did nothing. The fact that we only have so few cases, started getting the virus late and have so few casualities is due to their efforts. Meanwhile the entire West is over-run and casualities are very high. And it's not just COVID19, almost all major epudemics like SARS etc. bypassed us with minimal effects for the same reason. From what I read, last great epidemic to seriously affect us was Cholera, way back during the callous and incompetent British Raj times.

We should also not encourage comments like that which was made by that idiot. It reflects Western Snobbery and their typical "Superior" attitude towards us. There was no need to mention India at all when the entire West was caught with it's pants down. Not to mention - there was a very less chance of the virus originating in India, since we don't have the horrible practices of China.

Edited by roun90
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, roun90 said:

As per TV news, 2nd death from Coronavirus reported in India. This is the first death in Delhi. Deceased was a 69 year old woman, who got the COVID19 from her son who returned from abroad. She had some underlying complications

Also Theaters, Gyms and Swimming Pools to be closed from tonight in several cities of Maharashtra like Mumbai, Thane, Pune, Navi Mumbai, pimpri Chinchwad etc. Status of malls and hotels unclear (Some sites are saying those are open, others are saying those are also to be closed)

@Aftrunner I was reading a post about this on quora, and the person who answered made some (what I feel) highly relevant points. He basically said - Right from January, when entire West was ignoring the virus and only restricted teavel to and from Wuhan, we were one of the only ones who stopped visits to and from China completely. When virus started spreading, we were one of the only ones who quickly expanded that list to stop travel to several countries like Thailand, Korea, Japan etc. - even though Japan threatened us that it will negatively impact the bullet train deal. We also have a test for finding COVID19, which, while it takes longer than China to give results, is far more accurate. We also quickly evacuated our citizens who were trapped abroad. So it's not like the Indian govt. did nothing. The fact that we only have so few cases, started getting the virus late and have so few casualities is due to their efforts. Meanwhile the entire West is over-run and casualities are very high. And it's not just COVID19, almost all major epudemics like SARS etc. bypassed us with minimal effects for the same reason. From what I read, last great epidemic to seriously affect us was Cholera, way back during the callous and incompetent British Raj times.

We should also not encourage comments like that which was made by that idiot. It reflects Western Snobbery and their typical "Superior" attitude towards us. There was no need to mention India at all when the entire West was caught with it's pants down. Not to mention - there was a very less chance of the virus originating in India, since we don't have the horrible practices of China.

IIRC the travel restrictions to China came into play in Feb not Jan. 

When virus started spreading, we were one of the only ones who quickly expanded that list to stop travel to several countries like Thailand, Korea, Japan etc. -

This didnt happen till like last week. 

even though Japan threatened us that it will negatively impact the bullet train deal.

Is there a source for this beyond the Qoura guy? 

And it's not just COVID19, almost all major epudemics like SARS etc. bypassed us with minimal effects for the same reason.

They also bypassed everyone else with minimal effects - https://www.who.int/csr/sars/country/2003_07_11/en/

From what I read, last great epidemic to seriously affect us was Cholera, way back during the callous and incompetent British Raj times.

Our infant mortality rate due to preventable diseases and malnutrition is actually worse than some african countries. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_infant_and_under-five_mortality_rates

So here is the counter argument - Stop getting your information from Qoura. It is actually worse than your whatsapp forwards. Blind nationalism is actually, GENUINELY harmful because it lulls people into a false sense of security. It is possible to love your country and still understand its shortcomings. 

I know people that work in the medical and insurance sector (my wife is one) and I can absolutely tell you we are woefully unprepared if this becomes an epidemic. Our medical infrastructure is barely creaking along in normal times. 

• Like 2

been reading about this virus for a while now and it's all starting to feels like a pilot for a bad tv show.. 

healthy individuals with good immunity need not worry, masks are required for sick people to stop it from spreading. keep hygiene, avoid crowded places and stay at home. this virus is a mutated one hence cure is taking time. all casualties in India so far are elderlies with co-morbidities like BP/Diabetes/pulmonary infections.. 

@Aftrunner Seems I was mistaken in a lot of points. Thanks for correcting me. But still it does not change the fact that Jim O'Neill need not gave mentioned India at all. Why single out India when the entire world was helpless? To me this shows he is either a racist or on a mission to promote China and defame India at their behest.

Also source for Japan threat -

NEW DELHI: 

Japan

has issued a demarche to India asking it to review its decision to cancel all e-visas to Japanese nationals. Apparently upset that it has been clubbed with countries like Iran, Italy and South Korea, Japan has conveyed to India that a blanket ban on visas is going to hurt economic engagement with India including work on the Ahmedabad-Mumbai bullet train which has a 2023 deadline

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.timesofindia.com/india/visa-ban-could-hurt-economic-ties-japan-warns-india/amp_articleshow/74501709.cms

Edited by roun90

14 minutes ago, Aftrunner said:

So here is the counter argument - Stop getting your information from Qoura. It is actually worse than your whatsapp forwards. Blind nationalism is actually, GENUINELY harmful because it lulls people into a false sense of security. It is possible to love your country and still understand its shortcomings. 

I know people that work in the medical and insurance sector (my wife is one) and I can absolutely tell you we are woefully unprepared if this becomes an epidemic. Our medical infrastructure is barely creaking along in normal times. 

Well I get most of my info through news channels. And two news channels I was watching today had doctors on em, founder of Dr. Dang Labs (if I'm not mistaken) and he went on to say our country is better prepared for this, and we've been on the front foot about fighting this.

Now, I'm no expert so I tend do blindly believe my doctors, and not Whatsapp forwards or Quora posts. 

Then again, Quora is a like a forum just like this, and I don't think fact-checking is exactly beneficial at the moment at any rate. 

Edited by Chirag2001

5 minutes ago, roun90 said:

@Aftrunner Seems I was mistaken in a lot of points. Thanks for correcting me. But still it does not change the fact that Jim O'Neill need not gave mentioned India at all. Why single out India when the entire world was helpless? To me this shows he is either a racist or on a mission to promote China and defame India at their behest.

Also source for Japan threat -

NEW DELHI: 

Japan

has issued a demarche to India asking it to review its decision to cancel all e-visas to Japanese nationals. Apparently upset that it has been clubbed with countries like Iran, Italy and South Korea, Japan has conveyed to India that a blanket ban on visas is going to hurt economic engagement with India including work on the Ahmedabad-Mumbai bullet train which has a 2023 deadline

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.timesofindia.com/india/visa-ban-could-hurt-economic-ties-japan-warns-india/amp_articleshow/74501709.cms

I'm pretty sure an article is sufficient, but my dad's on the Mumbai-Ahmedabad bullet train project. All his meetings have been postponed for 3 months, (there are Japanese and Chinese nationals involved); he was supposed to head to Mumbai yesterday. This is in the initial stage anyway, any delays now will delay the completion too. 

So that is pretty accurate. 

20 minutes ago, roun90 said:

Even if he is both, he is still not wrong. We would do well to focus on if what is being said is right or not rather than shooting the messenger. 

India's medical infrastructure is barely hanging on at the best of times in Metro cities. It is an absolute shitshow once you get out to the villages and small towns. 3 months from now, if this thing becomes a raging pandemic, what the rest of the world is doing isnt gonna get your elder relatives a ventilator or a hospital bed. 

This isnt a threat. They are literally saying they cant work with us if their workers arent allowed in the country and that we should at least allow visa for the workers. 

At least read your own sources dude. :doh:

Edited by Aftrunner
  • Like 1

Beware of the misinformation and fake news going around in some circles. Do not use WhatsApp and social forums as the source of information. Go straight to genuine sites for fact checking. 

Also it is no time and always immature to be xenophobic. 

6 minutes ago, Mysteryman said:

Beware of the misinformation and fake news going around in some circles. Do not use WhatsApp and social forums as the source of information. Go straight to genuine sites for fact checking. 

Also it is no time and always immature to be xenophobic. 

you know what - you're absolutely right. I just hate the fact that we have to think 10 times before going out due to others' poor practices, and these people (Jim O'Neill and crew) are unnecessarily commenting against us on top of that.

9 minutes ago, Chirag2001 said:

Well I get most of my info through news channels. And two news channels I was watching today had doctors on em, founder of Dr. Dang Labs (if I'm not mistaken) and he went on to say our country is better prepared for this, and we've been on the front foot about fighting this.

Now, I'm no expert so I tend do blindly believe my doctors, and not Whatsapp forwards or Quora posts. 

Then again, Quora is a like a forum just like this, and I don't think fact-checking is exactly beneficial at the moment at any rate. 

Regardless of what your views of the Indian govt is you have to give them credit where it is due. The screenings at our airports did start way back in January and that's the reason I bought a 100 pack surgical mask for just 249rs. The first wave from China and so was neutered and we only ended up with 3 cases but then we started getting cases from everywhere. Still I would say the govt has been very proactive right from having mandatory callertunes/ads on mobiles/social media or cancelling visas and making sure everyone coming in will be quarantined. If anyone has failed, it's the common indian citizen. From hiding their travel history to refusing to get treatment or just basic hygiene like spitting/pissing on the streets. Yesterday I read a report that the the people kept in quarantine by the ITBP were demanding seperate rooms and better amenities... FFS :doh:

Whether our healthcare system can handle this is a completely different questions, even developed counties are struggling and China with all it might couldn't manage it. Let's just all pray that it doesn't come to it & our traditionally strong immune system, the coming indian summer will help in containing the cases. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, roun90 said:

you know what - you're absolutely right. I just hate the fact that we have to think 10 times before going out due to others' poor practices, and these people (Jim O'Neill and crew) are unnecessarily commenting against us on top of that.

It is extremely easy to be angry but doesn’t help us in the long run. Every country including India has people like him to undermine each other. We can’t control them but we can control what we can. 

Both of us don’t know what exactly happen in history as we were not born then. History is written by the victors. I would not say that life before the British Raj is a utopia yet some Indians still find it more convenient to blame the British instead of fixing current problems. Pandemics and epidemics are as old as the human race. The human race is always cruel no matter which race and background. Murder, torture, plundering, lawless and evil practices like sati, human infanticide etc were a part of life. Only the nobles and Kings have the good life. 

India is and will still be woefully unprepared for any calamity not because the government is lazy but more due to a massive, diversified and uneducated population. 

I would go to jail if I post something similar in China. Don’t  be a blind nationalist. Accept this fate. 

sorry for going a bit-off topic.

Edited by Mysteryman

In India, the situation is not that serious like China or Italy yet so these steps from Govt. are commendable.Precautionary measures this early is a great step by Govt. 

They are trying to prevent whats happened in Italy. Plus there is panic now among people so they will be extra careful. 

Talk about sh*t things, drinking sanitizer doesnt let you have corona is going around. Which sick fck who started this :furious:

China is better equipped to handle crisis like this by virtue of being an authoritarian government. This is one of the very few positive upsides of a state having godlike powers over its puny citizens. Try throwing a tantrum in China about your nearest gym being closed in the news/social media and see what happens.

5 minutes ago, playstationdude said:

I really hope this bitch gets jailed for atleast 5 years without bail, once she's cured.

Also, such assholes should be publicly shamed. This is just pure intent to murder other people.

Thats sorta true. If you know you have it after the test, and you don't comply with the authorities and move about in public you're infecting others, and possibly killing a few