Coronavirus

hope

Italy Coronavirus deaths hit new record:

Italy has reported 368 more Coronavirus deaths, a new one-day record.

Lombardy - the country's worst affected region - accounted for 252 of the total.

Nationwide the total death toll is more than 1,800.

7 hours ago, kunjanp said:

So I took her to RML because my mom was a bit wary, filled up the form for screening. Then the screening guy told her that they will not do a screening test on her because she doesn't have any other symptoms, travel history or contact with any of the confirmed cases and private hospitals are forwarding every such case to them to not take the responsibility.

Got a report saying that COVID Screening is not required.

This is the case with people going for checks in Mumbai too. Unless you have a really bad cough, fever, flu they don't seem to feel the need to check.

Just thought I'd post this here.

A very close friend of mine (like really, really close - he was the Best Man for my wedding) complained about a very high fever since about 11:00 AM. As the day passed, he complained about throat ache and body ache, too (he's 28 years old, so he's obviously never had this kind of a body ache, which was something he felt mostly in his joints). Went to the local physician in the evening and they gave an injection and some medicines. Advised to rest for a day and if the fever doesn't reduce, the doctor said that they will then do a blood test.

He's lost his appetite and is barely eating or drinking juice or anything much.

For now, I guess, we'll follow what the doctor is suggesting. I met him in the evening and he's not looking great. However, the fever has reduced (thankfully). He still has pain in his joints, though and is coughing quite a lot.

We were joking about various things (Coronavirus and everything, to keep the mood light since his Mom hasn't seemed to take this well enough) but I truly hope it's nothing serious.

7 minutes ago, VelivolusDas said:

A very close friend of mine (like really, really close - he was the Best Man for my wedding) complained about a very high fever since about 11:00 AM. As the day passed, he complained about throat ache and body ache, too (he's 28 years old, so he's obviously never had this kind of a body ache, which was something he felt mostly in his joints). Went to the local physician in the evening and they gave an injection and some medicines. Advised to rest for a day and if the fever doesn't reduce, the doctor said that they will then do a blood test.

For now, I guess, we'll follow what the doctor is suggesting. I met him in the evening and he's not looking great. However, the fever has reduced (thankfully). He still has pain in his joints, though and is coughing quite a lot.

We were joking about various things (Coronavirus and everything, to keep the mood light since his Mom hasn't seemed to take this well enough) but I truly hope it's nothing serious.

Fever reducing is also a natural progression for coronavirus infection, since you came into contact with him, i would advise self quarantine until he gets tested and results arrive.

A theatre in Nashik defied orders and had a play. 150+ people attended. Elsewhere a confirmed patient was allowed to leave and the hospital did not inform anyone that he was on the loose. 

Don't think people and institutions here have enough discipline to stop or slow the spread of this disease. 

10 hours ago, mohit9206 said:

Fever reducing is also a natural progression for coronavirus infection, since you came into contact with him, i would advise self quarantine until he gets tested and results arrive.

Not really, if you consult doctors who are actually checking and screening at the Govt. hospitals, fever and body ache alone isn't an indication for Corona. My mum had it too, the fever has almost gone but the main point is the fever has to be accompanied with blocked/running nose or dry cough. It's in the mechanism of the Corona family of viruses.

And your local physician can't test for corona.

So straight away you can't advise for isolation. 

If he develops any more symptoms, then he needs to go for screening, fever in such changing weather is very common and going for the test will only result into crowding of the screening Govt. hospitals.

11 hours ago, El Tigre Chino said:

This is the case with people going for checks in Mumbai too. Unless you have a really bad cough, fever, flu they don't seem to feel the need to check.

Well, unless you have a bad cough, fever, flu aka THE SYMPTOMS, why should they check?

To test corona viruses they have kits, limited number of those and if you don't have any symptoms, there is no point in wasting one of them.

Hindustan Times: 4 coronavirus suspects flee from Nagpur hospital, traced later

First of all, mere suspects should not be brought in contact with known positive cases. 

Also considering the small number of cases we have now, police should be stationed near isolation wards to ensure no one flees like this. And those policemen who are stationed in these places should themselves get checked to ensure they don't catch it.

South Korea has managed to control the disease extraordinarily well because they're testing 10000+ people a day. We need to ramp up our testing capabilities too.

22 hours ago, VelivolusDas said:

Update:

He's absolutely recovered now. Symptoms are gone as well. The doctor has given it in writing that no further tests/investigation is necessary. He just advised rest for another day for him to get to 100% and he can resume work, too.

Thank God, it turned out okay.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, kunjanp said:

Well, unless you have a bad cough, fever, flu aka THE SYMPTOMS, why should they check?

To test corona viruses they have kits, limited number of those and if you don't have any symptoms, there is no point in wasting one of them.

Really bad case of all three, not just cough.

Friend went in to get himself checked out of paranoia after he flew back from Kerala and had developed a flu, cough & headache. They told him that it had to be a lot worse and/or have had travel history from one of the flagged countries to be checked.

Makes sense with the limited kits, I assumed it was a blood test kind of deal till I heard about this incident.

34 minutes ago, El Tigre Chino said:

Really bad case of all three, not just cough.

Friend went in to get himself checked out of paranoia after he flew back from Kerala and had developed a flu, cough & headache. They told him that it had to be a lot worse and/or have had travel history from one of the flagged countries to be checked.

Makes sense with the limited kits, I assumed it was a blood test kind of deal till I heard about this incident.

There can be asymptomatic cases of Coronavirus but the symptoms do start to creep up in a week or 2, that's why anyone who actually goes for a screening test must already have clear cut symptoms based on which they made a decision to take the test. But mostly, people are going out of fear thus the only ones being tested asymptomatically are the ones with travel or contact history.

Now the test works by taking a swab sample of your throat, might even have to cough up some sputum. Then they use a procedure called Reverse Transcriptase Polymerase Chain Reaction in which they extract genetic material from the sample taken, mix it with other genetic material which is extracted from the specific virus which is Coronavirus in current scenario.

Now if the sample has the same material as the Corona, the genetic material will amplify and will be reported by the testing machine. If it doesn't, then it's negative.

No blood or any other body fluids required.

The genetic material of Corona is not in a surplus supply hence the limited number of testing kits.

But it's getting better, India had about 100,000 and ordered 200,000 more from Germany. Although it will be quite some time before it becomes ubiquitous.

• Thanks 3