Coronavirus

hope

12 minutes ago, playstationdude said:

Our food habits are really bad. And im not talking just about junk food.

We cook everything to the point where all nutrition is gone. 

We need to be more of salad eaters than Roti and Rice, but unfortunately we dont do that. I'm guilty of this myself.

Indians don't understand problem Carbs come with.

Carbs are more harmful than Butter & Ghee.

Second biggest problem is saturated fat and PUFA.

For a long time, we consumed stuff made in Groundnut oil or Mustard oil with a dangerous MUFA
Hell, we still use Coconut oil, which has high MCT but very very high Saturated fats

When we go past this, we got addicted to fast-food, full of trans-fats, one of the worst things and we still use Dalda.
But in bigger cities I see lately there is some awareness, so consumption is not blown up like America.

29 minutes ago, Right said:

Indians don't understand problem Carbs come with.

Carbs are more harmful than Butter & Ghee.

Second biggest problem is saturated fat and PUFA.

For a long time, we consumed stuff made in Groundnut oil or Mustard oil with a dangerous MUFA
Hell, we still use Coconut oil, which has high MCT but very very high Saturated fats

When we go past this, we got addicted to fast-food, full of trans-fats, one of the worst things and we still use Dalda.
But in bigger cities I see lately there is some awareness, so consumption is not blown up like America.

Who said ghee is harmful ?

It is the healthiest oil you could cook with.

And the body needs carbohydrates as well.

Also, which oil do you recommend ?

Edited by GunnerY2J

16 minutes ago, GunnerY2J said:

Who said ghee is harmful ?

It is very healthy.

And the body needs carbohydrates as well.

Also, which oil do you recommend ?

When did I say Ghee is harmful?

Ghee has got moderate MCT and full-spectrum of fats. It's actually one of the best thing to cook in. Plus no bad milk-proteins. 

Rice Bran is something I would recommend the most.

Conola is considered good too, but Conola seeds cultivated in last 50 years or so are from GM stain, and it has 0.5% of hydrogenated fat (Trans fat).

Though KIng of oils is Avacado Oil, high MCT, low saturated fat, but it is very very expensive.

In India, since Coconut is popular, one should go for Virgin cold-pressed one, it has 65% MCT, but because of high Saturated fat, it may not suit everyone

Carbs have to be eaten in moderation.
Carbs convert into glucose and give energy, but if unutilized then it gets stored in the body as glycogen.
Glycogen is 1gm of glucose and 4 grms of water, so  250gm of excess carb gives you 1Kg weight boost.

Edited by Right
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Big Boss said:

What about Sunflower oil?

I'd say all are more or less bad since all are refined.

The cold pressed ones (expensive) are good and doesn't matter much of the type as it's basically preferred with the region.

Like Cold regions use mustard oil and is recommended in winters.

52 minutes ago, GunnerY2J said:

I'd say all are more or less bad since all are refined.

The cold pressed ones (expensive) are good and doesn't matter much of the type as it's basically preferred with the region.

Like Cold regions use mustard oil and is recommended in winters.

Damn. We thought sunflower oil was better than ground nut oil so we switched years ago.

EDIT: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Indian-refined-oils-safe-for-cooking/articleshow/4078251.cms

This link is more reassuring though.

Edited by Big Boss

42 minutes ago, Big Boss said:

Damn. We thought sunflower oil was better than ground nut oil so we switched years ago.

EDIT: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Indian-refined-oils-safe-for-cooking/articleshow/4078251.cms

This link is more reassuring though.

All the refined (refined means processing the oils multiple times - it mostly removes most of the benefits)  ones are more or less harmful.

Like : groundnut is also pretty healthy but refined groundnut oil is not because of the processing.

If using these, It's better to keep switching oils with season and also to get benefits of each (whatever) and also keep switching harmful effects of each.

We keep switching - sometimes rice bran, ground nut, mustard and sunflower etc and I mostly cook in ghee.

Edited by GunnerY2J

Saturated is fine as long as it comes from good sources like ghee, olives, avocado, coconut.

Carbs are pretty much a necessity because its cheap and mass produced. You need them to feed billions of people. Doesn't change the fact that they're the least nutrition dense, mostly empty calories that fill your daily calorie quota, but destroys your health and immunity over time. People hail green revolution as the greatest agricultural discovery that saved India, but all it did was make generations of people weaker and more susceptible to pandemics, increased diabetes 10 fold and let the population grow unchecked. If you actually try to feed people nutrition dense food like green veggies, nuts and fruits, good quality dairy, poultry and grass-fed meat, you'll soon realize how hilariously short your food supply is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Right said:

Carbs have to be eaten in moderation.

Carbs convert into glucose and give energy, but if unutilized then it gets stored in the body as glycogen.
Glycogen is 1gm of glucose and 4 grms of water, so  250gm of excess carb gives you 1Kg weight boost.

That extra water weight is not at all harmful. Unless you are a model/show bodybuilder you should not worry about it. The more glycogen you store, the more reserves you have for prolonged work. We only have a little bit of glucose in our blood (necessary for essential body functions) and the body pulls from the glycogen reserves whenever we need more. 

We also have a limit of about 500-600 grams of glycogen that we can store. 

Problem is that body will store any excess glucose above that as fat and unlike glycogen, there is no limit to how much fat the body can store. Excess abdominal fat has been linked to higher cholesterol levels in blood, insulin resistance, etc. 

Another problem with (refined) carbohydrates is that they get quickly absorbed and cause spike in blood glucose, that can also cause insulin resistance. 

Edited by Banz

@Banz that’s correct, once your glycogen store is full excess glucose is converted to Bodh fat. And you are right about insulin resistance too.

This is why intermediate fasting, OMAD are good for maintaining a weight.

helps you drain out glycogens and  keep the calories intake in check.

I did OMAD last year for a month, it was pretty good and it added at least 1 hr in a day for me.

Edited by Right

I want to try that but my wife won't allow me to.

When I was away at training a month ago I tried it but it was difficult to keep control of because we got free lunch at the office and in the evening were wandering around in a new city trying out popular places to eat. 

Now I just do the traditional way. Balanced diet and regular exercise (only walking and jogging on the terrace possible these days). 

5 minutes ago, Right said:

Mumbai, come on. Seal it off, before its too late!

ICMR: 13143 tested, 320 positive : 2.43% :thumbsup:

Yeah! Had an incredibly weird convo with wives cousins. They were telling me how they're waiting for the 15th so they could go on vacation to either Goa or somewhere else. Are people this clueless on what's happening?

:wallbash:

3 minutes ago, Walker said:

Yeah! Had an incredibly weird convo with wives cousins. They were telling me how they're waiting for the 15th so they could go on vacation to either Goa or somewhere else. Are people this clueless on what's happening?

:wallbash:

Yes.

45 minutes ago, Right said:

Mumbai, come on. Seal it off, before its too late!

I thought parts of it have already been sealed. Kalyan-Dombivli has 20 odd cases (most of them taking treatment in Mumbai) and both cities have been sealed. APMC markets closed and the vegetable sellers have been told to set up stalls in local maidans. 

Can't buy most stuff after 11 am and can't go out at all after 5 pm. Many areas closed entirely. 

Edited by Banz