Coronavirus - Stay At Home Foodie Thread

AtheK

3 hours ago, playstationdude said:

Is it safe to order/eat cold cuts? Or better to avoid?

What you mean by cold cuts?

Like Salami,  turkey slices, hams...and all?

If that is what you mean then I have bad news for you. They are bad for heath in long run. I was avid Subway eater, BMT was my favorite.

Hell, I used to have Subway 4-5 times a week.

I also used to clean up bag of Venky's chiken nuggets in a week.

Didn't know problems it comes with.

This kind of meat has high sodium and that leads to hypertension and heart issues.

Coupled with my smoking back in those times, It gave me bad insomnia and lot of issues which took two long years to resolve.

Once in a while having them is fine...don't make them part of your diet. Americans are living examples that Cold cuts must  be avoided.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Right said:

What you mean by cold cuts?

Like Salami,  turkey slices, hams...and all?

If that is what you mean then I have bad news for you. They are bad for heath in long run. I was avid Subway eater, BMT was my favorite.

Hell, I used to have Subway 4-5 times a week.

I also used to clean up bag of Venky's chiken nuggets in a week.

Didn't know problems it comes with.

This kind of meat has high sodium and that leads to hypertension and heart issues.

Coupled with my smoking back in those times, It gave me bad insomnia and lot of issues which took two long years to resolve.

Once in a while having them is fine...don't make them part of your diet. Americans are living examples that Cold cuts must  be avoided.

Or you can get the one that have very little additives ,check prasuma or artisan meats

First attempt at hot wings.

2e55de1397eea9efd1874f73374fabeb.plist

We love the Louisiana wings at a nearby restaurant, had to prepare our own as they are closed now for a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

i am a hardcore non vegetarian and last time i had processed meat like sausages was in oct that too cuz i stayed at a resort.  Very bad for your health.  All the goop that remains after getting the good bits from the chicken is turned into processed items and sold at a higher price point.

i dont even buy processed vegetarian items as they are very easy to make at home. i am surprised that companies are able to sell fries and other items in India as most of us are experts in deep frying items at home.

9 hours ago, silentassassin said:

This is made from my 12 year old niece all by herself.
She dint use any biscuits / pre mixes. Made the batter herself and baked the whole cake.
The shape dint come out well, but the cake tasted so good.  

gkf3p0R.jpg

It need not be perfect.. The imperfection is what makes is so perfect and beautiful..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bhpian Bali said:

All the goop that remains after getting the good bits from the chicken is turned into processed items and sold at a higher price point.

Actually, I have seen these items being sold for 1-2$ a day before “best before” dates. It kinda feeds into addiction among the low-income groups. 
initial pricing of the items account for wastage/discount-selling aa well, so companies don’t lose anything.

i think India has very much shielded from this crap so far, but it won’t take long before it becomes a disaster.

we need to start visual labelling food with trans-fat, sodium especially MSG, Olestra, very specifically..

Not necessarily a quarantine dish with respect to the many ingredients used.

But definitely is the best time to have a go at it : The Mutton Biryani.

Must ingredients :

Tender meat only, yoghurt, Ghee, whole garam masala - green cardamom, big cardamom,bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, black pepper etc,onions (fried), ginger, garlic, grounded regular spices according to preference, coriander.

Optional ingredients : mint, saffron, raisins, cashew, green chilli (can use red chilli powder too)

Method :

1. Marinate.

2. Crucial step - ghee roast marinated mutton with whole spices until enough water has left - shouldn't be dry or too wet : takes an hour (differs)

3. Layer.

4. Cook around 45-50 minutes with 75% cooked basmati rice in a closed dum.

All of it in low flame.

d6027e600398116761b9497ff65395c0.jpg0522693797546efe315af20499d6e85f.jpg67555e9b4e8063b5eb0db27fae93f466.jpg679dcca94817368d8dfd208638a53751.jpg1e8f0d595a89c9584a1b37197ea3d538.jpg

Edited by GunnerY2J
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Right said:

Actually, I have seen these items being sold for 1-2$ a day before “best before” dates. It kinda feeds into addiction among the low-income groups. 
initial pricing of the items account for wastage/discount-selling aa well, so companies don’t lose anything.

i think India has very much shielded from this crap so far, but it won’t take long before it becomes a disaster.

we need to start visual labelling food with trans-fat, sodium especially MSG, Olestra, very specifically..

we will be the first ones to do that infact. just that over here it is supposed to be a luxury item. all kinda crap but aspirational.

Made these in the oven after boiling the potatoes till they are bendy. Used olive  oil

Oh man, they came out so good, glass like texture on the outside, soft and fluffy on the inside

UCv1fPm.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Right said:

Wow!

Look superb.

@Snake @AtheK

1 hour ago, Assassins Creed said:

Broo, you are totally killing it.. was this done in OTG or Microwave ?? quick recipe please

Thanks. 

I used OTG. 

Recipe

1. Take chicken (500-600 gms) and make deep hashes, put pepper and 1 lime and let it marinate for 15 mins. 

2. Make marinate by mixing the below properly till it becomes a paste

4 table spoon hung curd, or use the dahi masti. 

1 teaspoon of besan, kashmiri lal mirch, coriander powder, kali mirch, salt, a bit of kastoori methi cooked on tawa. 

3. Apply the paste properly on the marinated chicken and fill the gashes. 

4. Add some red color and 1 table spoon oil, mix thoroughly with chicken. Cover the marinated chicken with aluminum foil, and leave it to marinate minimum 2 hrs, though I advise overnight. 

Grilling

1. Preheat the oven at 180-200 degree for 10 mins. 

2. Grease the tray with oil. 

3. Grill chicken for 25 minutes with both sides on. 

4. Take the chicken out, apply butter, swap sides, apply butter, put it back in. 

5. Grill for another 25 mins, let it sit for 5 mins in over after oven turns off. 

6. Heat a coal till red, put the coal in a small vessel and put it in the bowl which has tandoori chicken, add few drops of oil, cover the chicken leave it for 5 mins it will give it the smoky taste. 

Serve with chutney, lime and onion. 

Remember me while eating and send thanks :p

Edited by AtheK
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, kunjanp said:

Couldn't have let Mom's birthday go without a cake.

Peach and Mousse Cake with an apple jelly (inside), honeycomb and sugar work.

9wYCgHX.jpg

You run a food business as well? 

The stuff you cook is restaurant quality man, I won't mind paying up for it, awesome. 

44 minutes ago, kunjanp said:

Couldn't have let Mom's birthday go without a cake.

Peach and Mousse Cake with an apple jelly (inside), honeycomb and sugar work.

9wYCgHX.jpg

You run a food business as well? 

The stuff you cook is restaurant quality man, I won't mind paying up for it, awesome. 

Also happy birthday to aunty. 

43 minutes ago, Nathan.Drake said:

"Sorry, you cannot add any more reactions today."

You all are preparing so many amazing dishes. Leave aside tasting i can't even like them virtually. 

You guys are killing it and also killing me by posting such pictures. 

Oh ya Like limit has to be increased, Administrators.

Social validation is important part of our lives now.