Coronavirus - Stay At Home Foodie Thread

AtheK

4 hours ago, Walker said:

I'd give an arm and a leg for some of that ?

I have some Fava beans and a nice Chianti

23 hours ago, GunnerY2J said:

Spicy chicken curry.

Dry roasting all the spices before grinding gives the extra punch.c98df0a722148e137c8baedcb91bbafb.jpg

Sent from my ASUS_X01BDA using Tapatalk

Care to share this recipe? Like the color of it!

2 hours ago, Ph3N0M said:

Care to share this recipe? Like the color of it!

Don't have a fixed recipe.

Father said he wanted to eat spicy and a darker colour gravy. (Saoji style although that is thinner and slightly more red)

Will give the method, all of this in the same kadai, keep mixing in low flame to avoid burning 

1. Most crucial step to give the smoky color and flavour  Dry roast these  :

whole spices : garam masala - green cardamom, black pepper, black cardomom, cloves, cinnamon,bay leaf, cumin etc

(Black cardomom and cloves are strong - so less of these)

Add red chillies, onions, ginger, garlic as well later to dry roast and one tomato at last is optional.

2. After onions have changed their color, take the entire thing out except bay leaf (don't grind bay leaf),

Onions need to be fried separately in oil as well before grinding all of it together.

Optional step : Ghee or oil roast the chicken in the same kadai  until masala cools and take them out again.

3. Grind the dry roasted masala along with the fried onions to a smooth paste - adding water as needed (can add some yoghurt as well to reduce the heat)

4. Stir fry the grinded masala in oil, add turmeric powder and corinader powder,

red chilli powder is optional

5. When done, add the chicken in as well, cook them together for some time,

add water, salt and cover and cook till done.

Edited by GunnerY2J

Chocolate Mousse cake with a chocolate sponge inside, chocolate ganache filling. Topped with a chocolate mirror glaze.

Some corners were cut due unavailability of ingredients like neither did I have the correct type nor enough quantity of biscuits to create an even, thick outer layer.

Could have put in more time to make it look better but my family was impatient.

kj2n4F6.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, GunnerY2J said:

1. Most crucial step to give the smoky color and flavour  Dry roast these  :

whole spices : garam masala - green cardamom, black pepper, black cardomom, cloves, cinnamon,bay leaf, cumin etc

(Black cardomom and cloves are strong - so less of these)

Add red chillies, onions, ginger, garlic as well later to dry roast and one tomato at last is optional.

2. After onions have changed their color, take the entire thing out except bay leaf (don't grind bay leaf),

Onions need to be fried separately in oil as well before grinding all of it together.

Optional step : Ghee or oil roast the chicken in the same kadai  until masala cools and take them out again.

3. Grind the dry roasted masala along with the fried onions to a smooth paste - adding water as needed (can add some yoghurt as well to reduce the heat)

4. Stir fry the grinded masala in oil, add turmeric powder and corinader powder,

red chilli powder is optional

5. When done, add the chicken in as well, cook them together for some time,

add water, salt and cover and cook till done.

Thanks. Have questions about the bolded parts. This might sound dumb because I probably do not understand, but did you actually mean that the onion, ginger, garlic, and tomatoes were actually dry roasted with the spices and then the onion somehow separated from all of it to be fried with oil individually? Would you recommend adding anything to the chicken (or marinating it) before frying?

14 minutes ago, Ph3N0M said:

Thanks. Have questions about the bolded parts. This might sound dumb because I probably do not understand, but did you actually mean that the onion, ginger, garlic, and tomatoes were actually dry roasted with the spices and then the onion somehow separated from all of it to be fried with oil individually? Would you recommend adding anything to the chicken (or marinating it) before frying?

Didn't make it clear, 

I did dry roast all of it, 

Maybe 2 onions (not cut very finely so that you can separate later) were dry roasted along with everything else, ginger garlic was also not cut finely for dry roasting.

After that took more onions,this time  cut finely (maybe 4) for frying in oil - other things don't need frying separately before grinding as onions do need, other stuff after grinding get cooked along with onions as you will be refrying the grinded masala anyway.

Yes, I d recommend marinating, I mostly marinate everytime I cook chicken/mutton/fish etc.

- whatever spice you use can be used as marination - the coriander powder, turmeric powder, gram masala powder  can be used, yoghurt definetly if you are going to use it.

Method might sound confusing to follow as a definite recipe as I don't have a fixed recipe and not knowledgeable enough about the technicalities and go on as I cook

but dry roasting is the key here.

Edited by GunnerY2J
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, kunjanp said:

Chocolate Mousse cake with a chocolate sponge inside, chocolate ganache filling. Topped with a chocolate mirror glaze.

Some corners were cut due unavailability of ingredients like neither did I have the correct type nor enough quantity of biscuits to create an even, thick outer layer.

Could have put in more time to make it look better but my family was impatient.

kj2n4F6.jpg

Jalana bandh kar be.

Looks really tasty. 

Edited by Bhpian Bali

7 minutes ago, GunnerY2J said:

Didn't make it clear, 

I did dry roast all of it, 

Maybe 2 onions (not cut very finely so that you can separate later) were dry roasted along with everything else, ginger garlic was also not cut finely for dry roasting.

After that took more onions,this time  cut finely (maybe 4) for frying in oil - other things don't need frying separately before grinding as onions do need, other stuff after grinding get cooked along with onions as you will be refrying the grinded masala anyway.

Yes, I d recommend marinating, I mostly marinate everytime I cook chicken/mutton/fish etc.

- whatever spice you use can be used as marination - the coriander powder, turmeric powder, gram masala powder  can be used, yoghurt definetly if you are going to use it.

Method might sound confusing to follow as a definite recipe as I don't have a fixed recipe and not knowledgeable enough about the technicalities and go on as I cook

but dry roasting is the key here.

Okay, just to be sure (let me know if I understood this process), you dry-roasted and separated the non-finely-cut onion and then fried that in oil with more finely-cut onion, before mixing the fried onion to the existing dry roast mixture (now having the remaining dry spices, ginger, garlic, and a tomato) - all of that being transferred to a grinder to make a paste.

I also never follow a recipe closely when cooking, but the general mechanism of what you are describing is new to me, so it might be best to understand it before trying on my own. How much chicken did you cook this time with this many onions?

1 hour ago, Ph3N0M said:

Okay, just to be sure (let me know if I understood this process), you dry-roasted and separated the non-finely-cut onion and then fried that in oil with more finely-cut onion, before mixing the fried onion to the existing dry roast mixture (now having the remaining dry spices, ginger, garlic, and a tomato) - all of that being transferred to a grinder to make a paste.

I also never follow a recipe closely when cooking, but the general mechanism of what you are describing is new to me, so it might be best to understand it before trying on my own. How much chicken did you cook this time with this many onions?

Yes, add the non finely chopped onions for frying depending on how done they are to the oil - not.much difference though.

Dry roasting doesn't take much time, first garam masala and then other things till they smoke out and give some aroma, don't burn them.

Maybe 5-10 minutes.

Don't grind black cardomom either.

Don't know the quantity of chicken used.

Had bought 5 kg chicken and maybe took out 1 kg.

Edit :

@Ph3N0M since you already cook, I'd advise you to follow what everything you do, just whatever you use try dry roasting them once before and also frying the chicken part, rest proceed how you normally do - you already know the main ingredients.

Edited by GunnerY2J

1 hour ago, Bhpian Bali said:

Maybe putting it in serving bowl would have made that yummy looking chicken more appealing for people who dont like the look in a kadhai.

Guess it's more about the spice and the dark colour, not many prefer to eat indian spicy food (maybe oily as well) now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kunjanp said:

Ah! One of those students who are disappointed when they score 90% and not get 95%.

Jokes apart, love the things you make man, and it's inspiring.

• Haha 1