Coronavirus - Stay At Home Foodie Thread

AtheK

On 5/3/2020 at 4:08 PM, Aftrunner said:

Someone link me a good chicken 65 recipe that's worked for you. 

I found a recipe on Facebook. If you'd like, you can give it a try.
Disclaimer: This is not my recipe and I haven't tried it. Someone else posted it in a Foodies group on FB and I have copy pasted the whole thing here. Credit goes to Mr. Ankur C. from Desi Foodies FB group.

• Take 400-500 grams of boneless chicken. I had taken breast of a single chicken (two breast pieces)- which are roughly 450 grams. All the other ingredients taken are as per that measurement. If you are taking less or more chicken, then alter the quantities of other ingredients accordingly.
  • Now slice the chicken into medium pieces. If you are taking chicken breast, make sure to slice it horizontally first, to make two fillets from a single breast piece, and then cut the fillets in medium pieces by keeping the knife at a 45 degree angle (there are ample videos on YouTube describing how to cut chicken breasts). The chicken pieces should not be too thick, otherwise the coating will be cooked but the chicken would be semi-cooked. This step will take approximately five minutes.
  • Now take the chicken pieces in a bowl and pour salt (as per taste, approx.. one tablespoon), black pepper* (one tablespoon), red chilli powder (one tablespoon), coriander powder (one tablespoon), garam masala powder (half tablespoon), ginger-garlic paste (two to three tablespoons), cornflour (three tablespoons), maida (1.5 tablespoon), vinegar** (two teaspoons), and then mix all the spices with chicken well.
  • Whisk an egg in a separate bowl, and pour the whisked egg onto the chicken and again mix well. This step will take at max. 5 minutes.
  • Now, let the chicken marinate for 15 minutes.

*Black pepper powder, if not available, can be replaced by equivalent amount of red chilli powder (but it is advisable to use the black pepper powder for the quintessential Chinese flavour)
**Vinegar, if not available, can be replaced by equivalent amount of lemon juice (but it is advisable to use the vinegar for the quintessential Chinese flavour)

• Now, while the chicken is getting marinated, chop 8 to 10 bulbs of garlic finely, and slit 4-5 green chillies (you can increase or decrease the amount of green chillies according to your taste).
  • After marinating the chickens, heat oil in a pan, and fry the chicken pieces. Keep gap between the pieces, or they will be mixed. You should fry it in 2 to 3 batches. It will not take much time to fry the chicken pieces. One batch will take 2 to 3 minutes (in medium flame). In between, flip the pieces. If you fry the chicken in 2 to 3 batches, then also this step will take max. 10 minutes.
  • Now our chicken pieces are fried. You can just have this fried chicken also as a snack. This is also quite tasty.
  • Now, take a clean pan and heat two tablespoons of white oil. When the oil is lukewarm, add half tablespoon of cumin seeds, and the chopped garlics. Stir fry for 30-40 seconds.
  • Now, add 3-4 red chillies, and the slit green chillies into the pan. Also add around fifteen curry leaves. It was my bad lack that I didn’t have curry leaves that day. Without curry leaves, the typical taste of chicken-65 will not be there. Now, add two tablespoons of Red Chilli Sauce, and little water to the pan. Stir and fry the masala for a minute.
  • Add the fried chicken pieces now, and mix well with the masala. Cook till the water is absorbed. This whole step (from heating the oil to here) will take approximately 5 minutes.
  • Now pour the contents of the pan in a serving bowl. Plate it with onion rings atop, You can also add chopped spring onions (green part) too.

That’s it. The dish is ready. Plating will take hardly 2 to 5 minutes.

Edited by Banz
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Banz said:

So essentially keema pav, except that keema is of chicken instead of mutton. ?

Nope, everything like in pav bhaji, only chicken instead of potatoes.

Keema pav doesn't have Vegetables like cabbage, cauliflower, capsicum and carrot.

Edited by GunnerY2J

Overall better than the basic pav bhaji.

Could eat it just like that as well.

I used ghee instead of butter.

The Vegetables taste fine as they should, the individual chicken taste was more lost, but the combination was nice and would be great for fillings as well.

I was cooking pav bhaji for the first time,  so did a mistake maybe which I realised later - like shouldn't have boiled the chicken before,

should have let it stir fry with the vegetables, didn't know vegetables take so much time before they can be mashed - so there was enough time for the chicken to cook as well along.

Chicken doesn't feel heavy like potato too.

Overall much better than the basic pav bhaji.

Could eat it just like that as well with spoon.

I used ghee instead of butter.

The Vegetables taste fine as they should, the individual chicken taste was much less, but the combination was nice and would be great for fillings as well.

I was cooking pav bhaji for the first time,  so did a mistake maybe which I realised later - like shouldn't have boiled the chicken before,

should have let it stir fry with the vegetables, didn't know vegetables take so much time before they can be mashed - so there was enough time for the chicken to cook as well along.

Chicken doesn't feel heavy like potato too.

@Banznow trying the above method for chicken 65 with the remaining with-bone chicken.

Edited by GunnerY2J
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bhpian Bali said:

Never boil any type of kheema if you are going to cook it again in kadhai. The meat gets cooked really fast due to teeny tiny pcs.

Yes, true except for mutton kheema, that still takes time, 45 minutes mostly on low flame.

Edited by GunnerY2J

Chicken 65.

Pre Frying recipe as shared by@banz
Turned out really good, a tad oily but liked the coating very much.

Rest regular chilli chicken recipe with some additions exclusive to chicken 65 : curry leaves, cashew, red chilli and mustard seeds.fe9ff6513013258931b737b5deedfd3d.jpgb12bdc7a021b45e46de75f2fdaa2975f.jpg

Sent from my ASUS_X01BDA using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GunnerY2J said:

Recipe 

1) 24 Chicken wings

2) Enough curd to give them a light coat, 1 tablespoon each of amchur, garam masala and red chilli, salt (I added as per taste, so exact quantity might differ).

3) Paste of 3 gloves of garlic + 1 3" piece of ginger.

4) Mix everything, toss in the wings, leave to marinate for 4hrs min.

5) Take 1/2 cup of maida (you can use any flour)

6) Add 1 tbsp of red chilli, pepper. 1/2tbps of salt, mix well (adjust for taste).

7) Take the wings and completely squeeze out the marinade, just a light cover (don't want excess maida to stick), toss in maida. Light coat.

8) Fry in the oil of your choice, medium high heat, took 6-8 mins for me. Let them rest a bit.

9) Paste of 4 garlic cloves, 4 tbsp soy sauce, 1/4 cup of honey, 1/4 cup of water, 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes, 1/2 teaspoon red chilli.1 tbsp oregano (if you have seasoning then adjust salt and chilli), 1tbsp cornstarch. Heat it in a pan till it's nice and thick (approx measurements, adjust for taste, leave out a bit of water if you don't have cornstarch).

10) Toss the wings. Sprinkle with any green you like.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Tandoori Raan (Indian Steak)

This has never gone so perfect and so much resides on finding tender meat.

Roasted and crispy on the outside and still juicy and very suprisingly perfectly cooked on the inside with all the marination seeping in.

Just a fork was enough.

02e6eed9c6605a5aa99ba0b8daa27f36.jpg6dec0f087956ada21c680b20b3365888.jpg

Sent from my ASUS_X01BDA using Tapatalk

1232acb9c20e4cdcab2643bc2f3615eb.jpg

• Like 8

I went overboard with chicken this week..had it almost daily and drank heavy cocktails thrice this week. 

The salt and alcohol has done a number on me. Have high BP and yesterday was spent on bed. Realised late in the evening that it was a bad bad hangover. 

Looking at the Chili chicken, wings, raan, burger, tandoori chicken.has brought my appetite back. 

Them wings :wub: