Coronavirus - Stay At Home Foodie Thread

AtheK

24 minutes ago, playstationdude said:

I dont think its even healthy to eat raw meat. I think curing in lemon juice and all is different as it cooks the meat but this seems risky.

Dipped in yoghurt and then sauted 4-5 minutes with onions and ginger/garlic.

So the lemon job has been done by yoghurt.

Rest of it will get cooked for another 75 minutes.

Just now, GunnerY2J said:

Dipped in yoghurt and then sauted 4-5 minutes with onions and ginger/garlic.

So the lemon job has been done by yoghurt.

Rest of it will get cooked for another 75 minutes.

So I guess the correct term is rare meat, and not raw meat which should be ok as I see Chefs eating rare meat all the time on TV.

4 minutes ago, playstationdude said:

So I guess the correct term is rare meat, and not raw meat which should be ok as I see Chefs eating rare meat all the time on TV.

I did meant 90% raw as 10% cooked but rare meat is made I think in high heat or roasting.

Did eat without sauting as well plenty of times but always dipped in yoghurt.

Sushi I also felt like puking once.

That sushi was at some wedding buffet.

And it was vegetarian. I don't know what goes in veg sushi.

I didn't know how to eat or what it was and it wasn't big, so tried to eat it one go - was the worst bite of my life.

Was too sour as well.

I realised later why not one person was near that counter.

Edited by GunnerY2J

19 minutes ago, GunnerY2J said:

I did meant 90% raw as 10% cooked but rare meat is made I think in high heat or roasting.

Did eat without sauting as well plenty of times but always dipped in yoghurt.

Sushi I also felt like puking once.

Rare meat has nothing to do with high heat or roasting. It's just about what's the internal temperature, the outside can be cooked for a short duration over medium heat or longer duration with low heat.

You can cure meat in any acid and still get it rare or well done without heating it to a certain temp., in this case you are cooking by denaturing protein.

Not every meat can be eaten rare. Beef or Lamb generally don't carry the parasites which can infect humans, the ones they do carry are mainly on the surface and since the meat is dense, these are not able to penetrate it. Hence, cooking the surface and leaving inside tender is fine i.e. rare. This applies only to whole cuts, not keema etc.

But you will never see Duck, Chicken or even Pork being served rare.

Not sure what you meant by dipping it in yogurt because for it to cure, it needs some time. What you actually did is just cooking the surface by sauteing and leaving inside tender and since it was mutton, it is relatively safe to do that but goat is still recommended to be cooked through. So don't eat it raw often.

33 minutes ago, kunjanp said:

Rare meat has nothing to do with high heat or roasting. It's just about what's the internal temperature, the outside can be cooked for a short duration over medium heat or longer duration with low heat.

You can cure meat in any acid and still get it rare or well done without heating it to a certain temp., in this case you are cooking by denaturing protein.

Not every meat can be eaten rare. Beef or Lamb generally don't carry the parasites which can infect humans, the ones they do carry are mainly on the surface and since the meat is dense, these are not able to penetrate it. Hence, cooking the surface and leaving inside tender is fine i.e. rare. This applies only to whole cuts, not keema etc.

But you will never see Duck, Chicken or even Pork being served rare.

Not sure what you meant by dipping it in yogurt because for it to cure, it needs some time. What you actually did is just cooking the surface by sauteing and leaving inside tender and since it was mutton, it is relatively safe to do that but goat is still recommended to be cooked through. So don't eat it raw often.

I meant generally I keep it a couple of hours at least in yoghurt and some spices when eating raw - not much, only 2-3 pieces.

This time just mixed with yoghurt and instantly sauted 1.5 kg meat and ate around 8 pieces out of it after a few minutes, rest was regularly cooked for lunch.

I usually  have seen these rare medium stuff (onntv as well) after meat is beaten up thin and grilled or fried on high heat, I don't know any of the technical stuff like you do, so you must be right.

What does denaturing mean ?

And what is the best way to cook it ? (Nutrition wise)

Edited by GunnerY2J

4 hours ago, playstationdude said:

I dont think its even healthy to eat raw meat. I think curing in lemon juice and all is different as it cooks the meat but this seems risky.

You can eat the red meats raw. Bacteria are present only on the surface and do not penetrate to the inside. 

2 hours ago, GunnerY2J said:

I meant generally I keep it a couple of hours at least in yoghurt and some spices when eating raw - not much, only 2-3 pieces.

This time just mixed with yoghurt and instantly sauted 1.5 kg meat and ate around 8 pieces out of it after a few minutes, rest was regularly cooked for lunch.

I usually  have seen these rare medium stuff (onntv as well) after meat is beaten up thin and grilled or fried on high heat, I don't know any of the technical stuff like you do, so you must be right.

What does denaturing mean ?

And what is the best way to cook it ? (Nutrition wise)

Denaturing means breaking down the structure of proteins which make the tissues in the meat. That is the reason meat turns tender.

Using higher temp. denatures the meat and kills the bacteria. The denaturing allows  lower heat to penetrate the tender tissue and not use high heat.

But give enough time, the meat will turn tough.

Using acid like yogurt/lemon does the same thing but it does not kill bacteria, it only tenderizes. That's why only meat such as beef are cured because they don't have the same parasites as Chicken. Also fresh fish or one which has been blanched before.

Acids changes the environment of the meat into such that bacteria can't live but that is true only for thin pieces.  It does not work for pieces we generally eat. Can only impart taste.

Give enough time, the meat will turn tough by curing too.

For curing the pieces of meat you showed? It would take a day or more, so that yogurt did not help you in curing the meat.

Best way is the way when you can consume it safely. Raw meat might give more nutrients but will make you susceptible to microbes too.

So the most nutrition you can get while being safe is by cooking meat like beef/lamb on heat till rare. Just check while cooking, use Youtube.

For pork/goat medium rare is good enough. And chicken/fish you really want to cook through i.e. not pink, just glistening.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Banz said:

You can eat the red meats raw. Bacteria are present only on the surface and do not penetrate to the inside. 

That is generally the case but google and you will find many studies regarding that some bacteria will still penetrate. So good quality and fresh meat is important.

Either cure the thin pieces or atleast cure till rare.

• Like 1

I would not advise eating uncooked/undercooked meat, here's why.

The reason is there is a regular practise of using growth-promoting hormones and various anti-bodies given to animals in the breeding farms.

You can never be sure if the mutton/chicken is 100% organic. In the US, FDA actually approved use of hormones for increasing growth & size.

Hormones are basically proteins.

They get broken when cooked properly, Undercooked meats which have antibiotics/Hormones can make you sick and will give you damages you won't even know.