Coronavirus - Stay At Home Foodie Thread

AtheK

19 minutes ago, Big Boss said:

Recipe?

Cut all vegetables/fruits you want to add in mid sized cubes (if cut too small, and there's no crunch to them).

Saute cauliflower first and keep aside.

Saute onions for a minute, and then add the rest. Saute till they start changing just a bit of color but still remain crunchy. Keep aside.

For white sauce:

Mix 2 cups of milk with 2 spoons of maida and 1 spoon of cornflour (increase or decrease milk depending on consistency needed).

Take some butter in a heated kadhai, pour this mix in and saute for a minute. Add salt, pepper and grated cheese to taste. Mix for another 30 secs. 

Add the sauteed veggies/fruits to the mix. Garnish with some cheese, chilli etc. 

Bake at 220 for about 20 minutes. 

If you don't have OTG/can't bake, roast the maida for 3-5 minutes before mixing with milk. You can then follow the recipe 

• Like 1

Any recommendations for a good oven with convection feature?

My oster convection oven has conked off. It isn't regulating heat properly and one of the grills inside lit like a bulb and it cooked my cake in 15 mins or should I say burnt my cake @150 deg in 15 mins.

Also @kunjanp what would you recommend?

My oster convection oven has conked off. It isn't regulating heat properly and one of the grills inside lit like a bulb and it cooked my cake in 15 mins or should I say burnt my cake @150 deg in 15 mins.

Also [mention=11704]kunjanp[/mention] what would you recommend?

If you want to go for oven. Do check havells AirOven. It’s similar to Airfryer but with bigger capacity.

4 hours ago, Bhpian Bali said:

Also @kunjanp what would you recommend?

It depends. Do you want a separate OTG?  Or a combi one which has convection?

If you find yourself baking quite often, I would recommend you to get an OTG because all around it will give you more flexibility and it would maintain the temperature much better. Usually combi ovens are way off, like you set 200°C and temp. won't go above 150°C (trust me, it's very common, I use an oven thermometer).

You can look for IFB for this. They make pretty good ones.

If you want a combi one. I would recommend Samsung, but a top range of that one. Because the lower range ones just can't maintain high temps. and kind of direct heat in a particular direction hence uneven baking. I personally have been quite happy with a Samsung myself, models change every 6 months, but something around 20k range. Don't look online for model numbers, just look for general reviews.

LG is a good option too, you can try it as well.

Try to buy offline, go and look what kind of fan it has to circulate heat, what's the opening like for heat to come through. And try to get one which goes above 200°C because even at 200, you won't find one which goes past 165°ish.

And if you are really serious about it. Get a separate, dedicated, full blown OVEN. Samsung, KAFF, you will find great options but obviously more space, more expensive. I am getting one soon from KAFF.

Edited by kunjanp

5 hours ago, djanuj said:

If you want to go for oven. Do check havells AirOven. It’s similar to Airfryer but with bigger capacity.

Is it any good? I saw that particular model while checking ovens. For a big air fryer 10k seemed reasonable.

2 hours ago, kunjanp said:

It depends. Do you want a separate OTG?  Or a combi one which has convection?

If you find yourself baking quite often, I would recommend you to get an OTG because all around it will give you more flexibility and it would maintain the temperature much better. Usually combi ovens are way off, like you set 200°C and temp. won't go above 150°C (trust me, it's very common, I use an oven thermometer).

You can look for IFB for this. They make pretty good ones.

If you want a combi one. I would recommend Samsung, but a top range of that one. Because the lower range ones just can't maintain high temps. and kind of direct heat in a particular direction hence uneven baking. I personally have been quite happy with a Samsung myself, models change every 6 months, but something around 20k range. Don't look online for model numbers, just look for general reviews.

LG is a good option too, you can try it as well.

Try to buy offline, go and look what kind of fan it has to circulate heat, what's the opening like for heat to come through. And try to get one which goes above 200°C because even at 200, you won't find one which goes past 165°ish.

And if you are really serious about it. Get a separate, dedicated, full blown OVEN. Samsung, KAFF, you will find great options but obviously more space, more expensive. I am getting one soon from KAFF.

Hi. Can you give some examples of otg, combi.ovens? 

My experience with a samsung microwave oven with convection feature hasnt been good.

A separate kaff oven is gonna cost a lot. I bake a lot but not in a position to invest a lot for now. 

Need something good and something to get by with at the cheapest price. Saw a croma oven with convection feature for 5500. A reconnect one for 3500 :P

1 hour ago, Bhpian Bali said:

Is it any good? I saw that particular model while checking ovens. For a big air fryer 10k seemed reasonable.

Hi. Can you give some examples of otg, combi.ovens? 

My experience with a samsung microwave oven with convection feature hasnt been good.

A separate kaff oven is gonna cost a lot. I bake a lot but not in a position to invest a lot for now. 

Need something good and something to get by with at the cheapest price. Saw a croma oven with convection feature for 5500. A reconnect one for 3500 :P

I bake in the Croma oven with convection all the time. It's decent. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

I bake in the Croma oven with convection all the time. It's decent. 

Great. Ill go and take a look at the shop if aint too crowded.

I hope no uneven cooking or anything,? In my oster oven i used to have this problem.

Edited by Bhpian Bali

32 minutes ago, Bhpian Bali said:

I hope no uneven cooking or anything,? In my oster oven i used to have this problem.

Nope. It's been decent so far. Only gripe is no internal light (our previous OTG had it - and it makes looking at the item being baked pretty convenient). 

We have only tried some cakes, cookies, pizza, baked vegetables, toast etc. Nothing super chefy, so your YMMV, ^_^

Well I have not used it myself. So no idea. But i do have airfryer and it’s really good. I always wished something similar come up in over form. And havells did that. So I guess it should work well. I am really satisfied with AirFryer!

1 hour ago, djanuj said:

Well I have not used it myself. So no idea. But i do have airfryer and it’s really good. I always wished something similar come up in over form. And havells did that. So I guess it should work well. I am really satisfied with AirFryer!

I have an air fryer too. Dont use it much. But i have not really liked cooking in it so far. Maybe cuz it is too small

1 hour ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Nope. It's been decent so far. Only gripe is no internal light (our previous OTG had it - and it makes looking at the item being baked pretty convenient). 

We have only tried some cakes, cookies, pizza, baked vegetables, toast etc. Nothing super chefy, so your YMMV, ^_^

Ok. Ill check. I personally wouldn't mind having no light after my grill became one.

Edited by Bhpian Bali

5 hours ago, Bhpian Bali said:

My sister is a professional Baker and she uses this at our place for home orders. Got it for 9990 last year at some flash deal at Amazon. 

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00AYA859Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_dU8iFbEVA9YB0

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KnackChap said:

My sister is a professional Baker and she uses this at our place for home orders. Got it for 9990 last year at some flash deal at Amazon. 

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00AYA859Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_dU8iFbEVA9YB0

Thanks bro. It seems a lot of people prefer morphy richards for ovens. In my city's foodie group a lot of people recommend the same..will check them out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, playstationdude said:

How do you roast the chicken? Are electric tandoors any good for roasting? or should I get a separate otg? 

Cant use the gas stove cause i have to cook non veg in balcony.

Gas tandoor.

placed on gas stove and closes from top as well.

Will send you a pic if you want, very good and efficient.

Oh I didn't read you don't want on a stove.

No, electric tandoori don't work well.

Edited by GunnerY2J