Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

STICK3Rboy

1 hour ago, 0verlord said:

I have played AC 1 and AC 2. Then left the series. Now I have AC IV which I want to play as I hear it's very good. After that, how should I proceed -

1) play AC origins - on sale now at 800

2) play AC odyssey

3) play AC valhalla

Out of above 3, which ones should I play or skip? Or play all 3?

AC2,ACB,Syndicate, Odyssey and Valhalla my favourite AC games. 

Valhalla plays best coz 60fps. 

Odyssey and Valhalla both good.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 0verlord said:

I have played AC 1 and AC 2. Then left the series. Now I have AC IV which I want to play as I hear it's very good. After that, how should I proceed -

2) play AC odyssey

3) play AC valhalla

AC Games are completely different now than what they were in AC 1 and 2. AC Syndicate was the last off the old style AC Games. For now, I would suggest just play AC Valhalla. Then play AC Syndicate when you are free later. For the rest, just google the modern day story if you are interested. All AC Games are huge with a lot of padding. If you try to play all - you will get burned out very fast and most probably quit AC for life.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 0verlord said:

2) play AC odyssey

3) play AC valhalla

All modern AC games are trash and nothing like old AC games. 

These new ones are open world filled with absolute trash level quests and copy pasted content.

The main story isn't good either. The combat has no weight. Very cheap. RPG elements all added to waste the time for absolutely nothing.

Other than visuals, nothing really good going on in AC games these days. You are better off not playing them...unless super bored or want to get bored further. 

Edited by Joe Cool
  • Like 2

On 12/23/2020 at 7:02 PM, Joe Cool said:

All modern AC games are trash and nothing like old AC games. 

These new ones are open world filled with absolute trash level quests and copy pasted content.

The main story isn't good either. The combat has no weight. Very cheap. RPG elements all added to waste the time for absolutely nothing.

Other than visuals, nothing really good going on in AC games these days. You are better off not playing them...unless super bored or want to get bored further. 

Man, I think this sums everything up lol. I miss the more focused approaches the older games had up until (and including) Unity.

The new lot aren't bad if you like the witcher 3 style of game, I guess.

And is the modern stuff even relevant anymore? How good is that post-Desmond story these days?

Edited by Keyofx

I don't hate AC... It is one of my favorite series but new AC games are nothing like once AC used to be. 

Other than visuals nothing really goes on and I get bored so fast as I've seen all the already or feel like I've seen everything within first few hours. Nothing new or interesting. Valhalla lasted 7 hours before giving up. Absolute boredom. Even Fallout 4 had better world, NPCs, story, exploration going on... 

9 hours ago, Keyofx said:

Man, I think the sums everything up lol. I miss the more focused approaches the older games had up until (and including) Unity.

The new lot aren't bad if you like the witcher 3 style of game, I guess.

And is the modern stuff even relevant anymore? How good is that post-Desmond story these days?

Witcher 3 open world sucks too but the game makes up with awesome story and characters. Doesn't bore you to death nor puts you in tedious grind for nothing. 

All these modern open world games are just visuals. 90% budget into eye candy and 10% of everything else. 

So played around 2.5 hours yesterday, had to break as it was getting late, but what I played was good.  Set to the highest settings (ultra high), and on average I was getting around 100 FPS at 1080p as per the in-game stats.

Here're some initial impressions, do note that I haven't played odyssey, so I'm mostly comparing it to AC:Origins :

- The game is pretty, the draw distances are breathtaking.  The snow clad setting in Norway seems far more beautiful than compared to the arid deserts of the previous games.  The hills, water, everything seems to be better modeled compared to the previous games.  There're not much options to fiddle around with in-game graphics menu though.  Also, I could not find any option for RT in the in-game menu options, assuming the game doesn't support it.

- The premise is much more interesting compared to AC:Origins, and the character Evior actually feel more etched out, as compared to bayek, who mostly felt like a walking/talking cardboard cutout most of the time. 

- The combat is revamped, kinda similar to dark souls now - with parry / stamina thrown in apart from the regular light/heavy/dodge as seen in previous games.  

- The skill trees are also vastly improved, with each sub-tree having its own specialization (ex: a special move) and leading to more sub-trees upon completing all the nodes in them.  There are additional abilities which gives more moves to Evior, which get unlocked via some artifacts found by in-game exploration.  I guess these are restrictive and might need some counter to fill up etc., tried it only once though.

- The main character can choose from an array of dialogues unlike the previous ones where cut-scenes where mostly non-interactive.

Overall, I feel this game feels more closer to a proper RPG , compared to the previous games which were mostly open world action/adventure , where the RPG elements felt like an afterthought.  

Its too soon to tell, but I'm liking the game so far.  Also,  I've been ignoring the side quests and focusing on the main quest so that more of the game map is available to play.  Will post more impressions once I've played more and completed some major plot points.

30 minutes ago, Ne0 said:

So played around 2.5 hours yesterday, had to break as it was getting late, but what I played was good.  Set to the highest settings (ultra high), and on average I was getting around 100 FPS at 1080p as per the in-game stats.

Here're some initial impressions, do note that I haven't played odyssey, so I'm mostly comparing it to AC:Origins :

- The game is pretty, the draw distances are breathtaking.  The snow clad setting in Norway seems far more beautiful than compared to the arid deserts of the previous games.  The hills, water, everything seems to be better modeled compared to the previous games.  There're not much options to fiddle around with in-game graphics menu though.  Also, I could not find any option for RT in the in-game menu options, assuming the game doesn't support it.

- The premise is much more interesting compared to AC:Origins, and the character Evior actually feel more etched out, as compared to bayek, who mostly felt like a walking/talking cardboard cutout most of the time. 

- The combat is revamped, kinda similar to dark souls now - with parry / stamina thrown in apart from the regular light/heavy/dodge as seen in previous games.  

- The skill trees are also vastly improved, with each sub-tree having its own specialization (ex: a special move) and leading to more sub-trees upon completing all the nodes in them.  There are additional abilities which gives more moves to Evior, which get unlocked via some artifacts found by in-game exploration.  I guess these are restrictive and might need some counter to fill up etc., tried it only once though.

- The main character can choose from an array of dialogues unlike the previous ones where cut-scenes where mostly non-interactive.

Overall, I feel this game feels more closer to a proper RPG , compared to the previous games which were mostly open world action/adventure , where the RPG elements felt like an afterthought.  

Its too soon to tell, but I'm liking the game so far.  Also,  I've been ignoring the side quests and focusing on the main quest so that more of the game map is available to play.  Will post more impressions once I've played more and completed some major plot points.

Few side quests good and don't ignore Valka quests and i suggest choose - Let Animus decide Eivor gender option :P

Will not go in details as spoilers. Just do as i say

Edited by WhiteWolf

3 hours ago, Ne0 said:

What settings are you on? ;)

1 minute ago, 0verlord said:

what factors matter when choosing between high fps with less resolution vs high resolution with moderate fps?

Check your monitor/TV's refresh rate, if its just 60Hz, then there's no point going for frame rates over 60fps, as your monitor/TV won't be even able to process the high frame rate.  Increase the resolution at this point so that the image is crisp & sharp instead.  High FPS (above 60 fps) usually matters in first person / competitive games, provided you've a 144Hz monitor / 120Hz TV.  

• Like 1

On 12/25/2020 at 11:17 AM, Ne0 said:

My biggest issue with the dialogues is that sure, there are options here, but none of them really affect anything. It's like no one gives a sh*t about what you have to say. 

Very  good video 

I like Valhalla but its not as good as Odyssey imo. Odyssey team learned from mistakes and fixed stuff very fast. Valhalla team ignoring most requested features and continue to add paid items in shop which way better than ingame stuff and all of them affect gameplay.  You don't need those paid items to complete  the game ofcourse, but it sucks that there's no way to obtain ingame. In Odyssey i was able to obtain all good paid packs ingame for free.

Man I loved Odyssey and bought all DLC. No plans to do it for Valhalla 

Edited by WhiteWolf

1 hour ago, WhiteWolf said:

Very  good video 

I like Valhalla but its not as good as Odyssey imo. Odyssey team learned from mistakes and fixed stuff very fast. Valhalla team ignoring most requested features and continue to add paid items in shop which way better than ingame stuff and all of them affect gameplay.  You don't need those paid items to complete  the game ofcourse, but it sucks that there's no way to obtain ingame. In Odyssey i was able to obtain all good paid packs ingame for free.

Man I loved Odyssey and bought all DLC. No plans to do it for Valhalla 

Could be the boring VIKANGZ setting also.

Egyptian Kingdom, Eastern Roman Empire/Byzantines, Persian empire, Roman Empire, Alexander's empire all very good ancient times settings

There's also China/Japan.

Or they could go back to the renaissance period onwards