The Playstation 5 thread

Just saw the reveal now. My opinion - it was OK - for a console reveal. Most people here seem to be forgetting, but a new gen console has either mediocre or flop games, or hyped up games that ultimately get cancelled, with maaybe a barely good game thrown in, if lucky. For example, PS3's major launch titles were Genji: Days of the Blade, Ridge Racer 7, Call of Duty 3, Untold Legends etc. Xbox 360's major launch titles were Kameo, COD 2, Project Dark Zero etc. PS4/X1 gen was even worse. PS4 major launch titles - Order 1886, AC4: Black Flag, Knack etc. X1 -Ryse, Dead Rising 3 etc. Almost all of them completely mediocre. In that sense, this launch at least had some guranteed good titles in RE8, Horizon 2 and Spiderman.

One of the disappointing aspects to me was there was a complete lack of fantasy games, complete lack of *good and properly playable* historical games (The * to point out that I'm excluding AC due to XP boost MTX sh*t and uselessly bigger map almost completely making actually playing the game a chore) and also a complete lack of Japanese Games, more specifically JRPGs. Some of the best games to me were JRPGs and their utter absence is disappointing.

Almost 90% of the show was completely boring what with "art-style" games that tried to do a poor man's take on Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey, Spiderman and Horizon 2 looking almost same as their 1st parts and the Bethesda games not looking that interesting at all. Resident Evil 8 and Hitman 3 were the only games that genuinely excited me. And PC is enough for both (If they don't come on PS4) It was absolutely worth it - getting a good night's rest and only seeing show later down the line.

Console design looks absolutely great, and was one of the good things about the show. Waiting on the price announcement and BC announcement - which are important.

That said, I see no reason to buy the console at launch at all. PS4 will easily last till 2022-2023. Till then the initial crop of these titles would have come out and more exciting titles would have been announced. Not to mention - all the early adopters here and everywhere else would have beta tested for us. So any problems like RROD/YLOD etc. we will have prior knowledge thanks to the great sacrifice of the launch purchasers here. Thanks in advance for that guys!!

@adity PS4 Gold Headsets are great. They really enhance the sound and you can even hear minor details that you would miss if you were on general speakers. You should try it out sometime, if you can. Other 3rd party headsets, including the premium ones like Audio Technica, Sennheiser etc. don't give a good sound on PS4 though. Sony does not support it and thus sound quality really suffers.That said for PS5, wait for headset quality reviews to come out first. The launch Gold Headset and launch Platinum Headset for PS4 were not good. It was only the subsequent revision models that made it worth the purchase.

53 minutes ago, playstationdude said:

I'm just gonna post somerhing controversial here and run, I like the design of Series X better. :fear1:

This is too edgy for my taste. Though I'll still buy a ps5 first because of games.

:threatenlumber: aaj se tu xboxdude. :P IMO, xbox is bland as f**k hence would do with any interior. It looks so much like my APC UPS. PS5 ke liye toh saare setup ki aukaat 2 levels badani padegi :wub:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AtheK said:

Ya the real reason I see myself upgrading is that I can quickly sell ps4 pro for a decent price, and invest in ps5 and offset the entry cost. Hopefully UC games and GOW game are backward compatible. 

Same. But simple Backwards Compatibility won't cut it for me. It should enhance the experience somehow without any game update nonsense. Let's see. Also if it cannot play PS4 discs at all then I would be majorly mad at Sony. Have like 10+ AAA games on disc that I haven't played (backlog of last 3yrs) I plan to play maybe 2-3 of them on pro and rest on PS5. 

Edited by rAgHaV

12 minutes ago, AtheK said:

Ya the real reason I see myself upgrading is that I can quickly sell ps4 pro for a decent price, and invest in ps5 and offset the entry cost. Hopefully UC games and GOW game are backward compatible. 

Maybe just maybe the mid life upgrade will be digital only and then that will make the one with disc that more desirable, like how the fat ps3 had backward disc compatability with ps2 games, but dropped later. 

if u get through the corona crisis bro .... don't count ur chickens so early :P

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, rAgHaV said:

Same. But simple Backwards Compatibility won't cut it for me. It should enhance the experience somehow without any game update nonsense. Let's see. Also if it cannot play PS4 discs at all then I would be majorly mad at Sony. Have like 10+ AAA games on disc that I haven't play (backlog of last 3yrs) I plan to play maybe 2-3 of them on pro and rest on PS5. 

Its the same disk drive, just upgraded to read 100GB disks.

2 hours ago, kold_war said:

The console looks awesome.......thank god its not a f**king mini fridge. 

It is definitely not mini in any way ,it's atleast 3-4" taller than series X :sign_omg: and looks ugly horizontally . 

Also would have been better if the colours were reversed ,black on the outside and white inside. Would have complemented the tv setup much better, White is kinda mehh. Hopefully comes with a stand as shown to place it vertically.

5 minutes ago, playstationdude said:

Ps5 looks like a Router :fear:

Twitter is filled with pics of a router shown as a ps5 with white sheet of paper on either sides :P

4 minutes ago, triggr happy ss said:

It is definitely not mini in any way ,it's atleast 3-4" taller than series X :sign_omg: and looks ugly horizontally . 

Also would have been better if the colours were reversed ,black on the outside and white inside. Would have complemented the tv setup much better, White is kinda mehh. Hopefully comes with a stand as shown to place it vertically.

Maybe it comes in black as well. Hope it does. I personally dont mind the white variant, but if theres a black ps5 console....DIBS.

2 hours ago, AnK said:

We already got a taste of 4k in these mid gen upgrades 

Pro doesn't have many or any AAA 4k games, they are mostly upscaled except for some last gen remaster I guess. All their 1st party are 1440p mostly. 

When you will play on the ps5 ,pro users will see a much bigger difference. Also the stream didn't do justice to the quality of graphics.

But ya everyone is expecting too much from these 1st wave of NextGen games ,it will take time.

1 hour ago, WhiteWolf said:

Ok, so what's everyone take on digital only PS5 edition? Everyone hated Xbox digital edition when it was released, so what now? You guys still hate it or gonna buy a disc less version?  :P

Exchanging games is so 2013 , Digital all the way :giggle:. So many fanboys eating crow , that Sony will never make a digital only console.

( Now see the tune change)

Also the lack of gameplay from first party , I thought there won't be any trailers ?. How Xbox event was criticised which was all 3rd party stuff and then Sony comes out and does this with its 1st parry . Except for rachet was anything else shown ?

Edited by triggr happy ss

If it can play PS4 game media, I'm in. Day 1. Or, as usual, 2nd year after launch. Good idea having two identical models, separated by a disc drive. Keeps the channel partners from being grumpy, and confirm demand trends. The disc one is going to be expensive. 

Not worried about the games. It's playstation. There's no reason for me to think they won't bring it.

However, they absolutely need to have one-second-continue from standby like the Switch. I'm done with boot-up screens for consoles and games. That sh*t should've been past tense from PS3. 

Also, can some one from the admin team wake the f**k up and repair this franken-forum? A lot of us care for it, and keep coming back. We've grown up with it, like Playstation. I don't know what the reason is, but I'm sure it's fixable. 

21 minutes ago, CarbonCore said:

People thinking this is Sony's first digital only console, did y'all start playing games in this decade? :lol: 

They also believe that  buying once and playing on multiple devices will start with smart delivery or cross platform multiplayer games started with xbox one. Can't blame these jokers. 

1 hour ago, rAgHaV said:

Same. But simple Backwards Compatibility won't cut it for me. It should enhance the experience somehow without any game update nonsense. Let's see. Also if it cannot play PS4 discs at all then I would be majorly mad at Sony. Have like 10+ AAA games on disc that I haven't played (backlog of last 3yrs) I plan to play maybe 2-3 of them on pro and rest on PS5. 

Never buy launch model.. Wait for few months and let day one buyers beta test system for any issues then buy it later.. Next year we will have better games which will look much better than launch lineup.