The Playstation 5 thread

22 minutes ago, HundredProofSam said:
I swear Sony’s handling of preorders and lack of India updates is making Xbox strategy sound like genius.

I think India is the only major country that hasn’t announced price for PS5 yet.

I wonder why is that - the gaming community has been growing in India and I think the PS4 must have done good numbers, I am not going to compare us to Japan, USA where the number of consoles sold are in millions within a couple of months after launch, but still I wonder are the no. of units sold in India so less that they don't take India too seriously ?

Compared to xbox which hardly does any nos in India it's shocking the way Sony handles India when it comes to the Play Station.

Edited by SuperT

11 minutes ago, adity said:

Let's just say that the number of ps4s sold in US on a single black Friday outnumber the number of ps4s sold in India over the life of the console. So yeah, its pretty insignificant. 

They probably make less PS paisa from India than from Russia, Brazil, Mexico type markets.

Most "games" here are the PubChi-on-10K-Xiaomeme-phone variety, followed by people who play only pirated games on shitty desktops or slightly less shitty 1 lakh laptops.

Console walas are small minority.

If gaming was profitable here, you would have Nintendo with an official presence :rofl:

7 minutes ago, adity said:

Let's just say that the number of ps4s sold in US on a single black Friday outnumber the number of ps4s sold in India over the life of the console. So yeah, its pretty insignificant. 

I am sure the nos. are really bad but still I feel treating gamers in one of the largest upcoming economies of the world they way they do isn't right. They need to learn from Xbox atleast in this regard. I mean I am sure the no. of xbox units sold will be very meagre to say the least, yet they have a price reveal and communication from time to time. 

Also, they have a proper separate team for the PS in India with a Head and separate divisions, I wonder what their role is - maybe they are just there to take orders and execute with zero feedback flowing back to HQ.

Following is from a huffpost article dated September 2019.

"Sony’s global track record with PlayStation consoles somewhat mirrors how well it has done in India too. The PS2 India sales were close to a million while the PSP sold around half of that. The PS3 hit 350,000 eight years after its launch.

As for the PS4, it stands at around 400,000 sold in the country. No PS1 sales data exists as Sony only launched its consoles in the country with the PS2 while the company never revealed how well the PS Vita did aside from saying its sales were lower than every other console it launched in India. Nintendo doesn’t have an India presence and Microsoft’s troubles in the nation are well documented leaving Sony the de facto choice for many."

Just now, adity said:

I'm not saying it's right or wrong. Obviously we as consumers paying the same amount of money as a consumer in any other part of the world deserve the same quality of service. 

I'm just saying that the gaming scene in India is depressingly small. 

Ya, I agree - 100% with you, after all paisa bolta hai.

19 minutes ago, HundredProofSam said:

It’s not profit, because India also has high import duties on games. So that same $60 game should technically be $70 or more in India. Instead, we pay about $50. Sony does that by cutting its own margin in an effort to support a developing market, while local distributors and retailers still get their margins.

But the actual physical cost of the game is few pennies (disk+plastic cover). Its not like Sony is buying them out of pocket from EU and sell them here at loss. If India wants 100k more disks they can just print 100k more disks and send them over. Its less margin but still overall net +income vs not selling anything at all.

Yeah. Even if a disk is sold for 2,000rs, that 2,000rs mostly goes to profit/recoup development costs right, since development costs are fixed. Can any company make a loss selling games(unless physical copy is sold below printing/import cost)?

Sony Considered Xbox Series S-Style PS5, Doesn't Think Lower Spec Models Have Had Success

He continued: “One thing that can be said is that if you look at the history of the game business, creating a special low priced, reduced spec console is something that has not had great results in the past. We’ve considered that option and seen other executives who have attempted this discover how problematic it is. Based on our research, it’s clear that people who buy a game console want to continue using it for four, five, six or even seven years. They want to believe they have bought something that is future-proofed and not going to be outdated in two-to-three years.”

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/09/sony_considered_xbox_series_s-style_ps5_doesnt_think_lower_spec_models_have_had_success

I'll gladly take one year of cross gen games over games being held back  for the next decade because of an "outdated " product.