The Playstation 5 thread

1 hour ago, Walker said:

People want BC on their own terms. Personally I don't care much for BC. It's cool if it's there. No biggie if it's not. Don't care much for remasters either. If they're there cool, no biggie if they're not.

Assuming zero BC and no remasters, if your old console would break and cant be repaired, what would you do? Forget about / sell those games or buy the same old console again?  

I have a library of PS3 games and I don't know what to do with them. Some pretty strong memories attached to COD4 and Demons Souls and I am frankly really glad that those games are (or going to be) playable on consecutive generations (in whatever avatar)

And remasters should be chargeable, for sure. No questions about it. 

My guess why the next gen upgrades are free this one time is "probably" because the upgrading process doesnt require lot of time and effort on either platforms (similar architecture?). Didn't MS boast during the Gears 5 next gen showcase that it took only a week to bump it up? 

2 hours ago, SuperT said:
2 hours ago, rushaboswal said:
Sony is lucky they have 3 good exclusives. Otherwise im on Team Xbox too

It just makes more sense to get the Xbox now and rent the PS5 when the exclusives release and finish them all in a month. I guess rent would be around 3-4k for the PS5 10-12 months down the line. Some rental companies even give the games for free if you rent it from them.

This is a pretty good idea...has me questioning my decision to go with ps5 over series x.

The only reason I am planning on getting ps5 is spiderman,god of war and older exclusives that I haven't yet played like uncharted and tlou

Edited by koolkunz

59 minutes ago, dylanjosh said:

Well, when the competitors are giving it for free, so naturally people will complain when they have to pay. 

Because of the GamePass model, they cannot serve 360-looking graphics to XSX console owners,

PLUS Its not like if they remaster them, they can sell f**k-ton in retail.

1 hour ago, AnK said:

I don’t remember Halo MCC or Gears UE being given away for free do I ?!? :rofl:

Xbox BC came much later.

You are still stuck in 2013-14 and very conveniently just remember the xbox side of things . They have come a long way since then and sony however has forgotten the “for the players “ slogan .

1 hour ago, WhatsInTheName said:

Assuming zero BC and no remasters, if your old console would break and cant be repaired, what would you do? Forget about / sell those games or buy the same old console again?  

I have a library of PS3 games and I don't know what to do with them. Some pretty strong memories attached to COD4 and Demons Souls and I am frankly really glad that those games are (or going to be) playable on consecutive generations (in whatever avatar)

That is a very personal thing so I get what you're saying. That said, personally if an old console stops working or the media no longer works, I'd call it bad luck and move on. Would it be nice if I could play it on a new console? Sure. Would I bother if it doesn't? Nope.

My first console was an Atari. I have glorious memories of Sunday afternoons spent with my younger brother. And that's what they are. Glorious memories. I'll hold them forever.

We've had this exact same discussion 6 years back too. My stand hasn't changed. BC and remasters are not imperative. When you invest in something you'd look at what the company is promising and what the company has historically done. And for some it's a no brainer. Sony has never faltered on bringing new games and experiences. Ever. And in a games console that matters. Nothing else.

Edited by Walker
  • Like 5

47 minutes ago, adity said:

Nintendo has managed to become a thing of its own by carving a very unique identity with its form factor and games. 

Sony does have its top notch exclusives but MS might just catch up with them now. It has Sony beat in every other department. 

How exactly?

Acquiring a studio and actually managing a studio well enough to put out successful quality games are 2 very different beasts. Acquiring is easy. Throw money - and voila, it's done. Quite simple when you have revenue from all the PCs and Offices in the World (Windows and MS Office). Now, putting out games however - that's where the true skill, competence and test comes in. Remember Scalebound? MS could not manage Platinum - which is the best studio for action games. And that's only 1 game. Rare - Where is it today? Crackdown - they could not manage 1 game here as well. The same dev also made Little Big Planet 3 - which was well received. Team Ninja - they kicked out Itagaki because company was in trouble due to his insistence on MS only. Mistwalker - Don't even know if the studio is alive, Ensemble Studios and BigHuge Games - Dead, Lionhead - Dead

It's easy to say catch up, but Sony has been grooming it's studios from the days where they were nowhere and made them into the power-houses of today. MS record on the other hand is to acquire good already successful studios, and the results have not been pretty, to say the least

Also other departments? Other than actual games - what more important departments are there on a video game console? 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, roun90 said:

How exactly?

Acquiring a studio and actually managing a studio well enough to put out successful quality games are 2 very different beasts. Acquiring is easy. Throw money - and voila, it's done. Quite simple when you have revenue from all the PCs and Offices in the World (Windows and MS Office). Now, putting out games however - that's where the true skill, competence and test comes in. Remember Scalebound? MS could not manage Platinum - which is the best studio for action games. And that's only 1 game. Rare - Where is it today? Crackdown - they could not manage 1 game here as well. The same dev also made Little Big Planet 3 - which was well received. Team Ninja - they kicked out Itagaki because company was in trouble due to his insistence on MS only. Mistwalker - Don't even know if the studio is alive, Ensemble Studios and BigHuge Games - Dead, Lionhead - Dead

It's easy to say catch up, but Sony has been grooming it's studios from the days where they were nowhere and made them into the power-houses of today. MS record on the other hand is to acquire good already successful studios, and the results have not been pretty, to say the least

Also other departments? Other than actual games - what more important departments are there on a video game console? 

logic.

https://tenor.com/YG43.gif

8 minutes ago, Walker said:

That is a very personal thing so I get what you're saying. That said, personally if an old console stops working or the media no longer works, I'd call it bad luck and move on. Would it be nice if I could play it on a new console? Sure. Would I bother if it doesn't? Nope.

My first console was an Atari. I have glorious memories of Sunday afternoons spent with my younger brother. And that's what they are. Glorious memories. I'll hold them forever.

We've had this exact same discussion 6 years back too. My stand hasn't changed. BC and remasters are not imperative. When you invest in something you'd look at what the company is promising and what the company has historically done. And for some it's a no brainer. Sony has never faltered on bringing new games and experiences. Ever. And in a games console that matters. Nothing else.

spoken like a wise old man. But your unchanged stance means you definitely are backwards compatible :P

Spoiler

j/k :fear1:

Jokes aside, very well put. These things do create lasting memories and everyone will save and retrieve them in their own way. I guess that is the beauty of it. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, roun90 said:

How exactly?

GEdPfpk.gif

I've been saying this since some time now. All they've done is throw money at their problems. I'll believe them when they actually make something good out of it.

There's only one thing going great for them, GamePass.

Also, adding to the list of things they f*cked up you mentioned, we have Bungie leaving and the half a billion dollar Halo Infinite that looks worse on 12TFs than GoT on a less than 2TF machine :P

19 minutes ago, roun90 said:

Affordability and access to games- Two things which Gamepass provides in spades, especially considering how expensive next gen games are on Sony (70 bucks each).

Also MS all access basically makes sure even a school kid can afford a series X at 35 bucks a month.

Other than that, yeah agreed with the studios part.

5 minutes ago, playstationdude said:

Affordability and access to games- Two things which Gamepass provides in spades, especially considering how expensive next gen games are on Sony (70 bucks each).

Also MS all access basically makes sure even a school kid can afford a series X at 35 bucks a month.

Other than that, yeah agreed with the studios part.

Just to clear this FUD, its not Sony only games, but 3rd party as well.. MS hasnt announced yet what their games will cost, which I expect will be $70 dollars as well

Just now, Snake said:

Just to clear this FUD, its not Sony only games, but 3rd party as well.. MS hasnt announced yet what their games will cost, which I expect will be $70 dollars as well

Their own games are on gamepass, so..

And a lot of 3rd party games also come on gamepass a few months down the line..

4 minutes ago, playstationdude said:

Their own games are on gamepass, so..

And a lot of 3rd party games also come on gamepass a few months down the line..

Im talking about ownership, and games on gamepass move out after a few months right?