The Playstation 5 thread

42 minutes ago, Animus said:

Just wondering....if Series X has 800gb usable out of 1TB storage.

How much would it be for Sony, 600gb out of 825gb?:scratchchin:

It's not 800gb of usable storage? Has this been confirmed? 600gb doesn't sound right anymore even for this gen.

Not sure why all are expecting usable 800gb. It was pretty obvious I thought that OS needs to be carved out from 825gb.  They wouldn't have specifically called it 825gb all of a sudden when branding it as 1tb and carving out os space from it already worked every gen

So it will definitely be around 600+ but less than 700gb of usable space.

Just now, triggr happy ss said:

Its 650 ,175 fb for os as per rumours

That's going to be a real downer. If it's one 125gb for OS from 1Tb that would explain the 825. If it's 175 from the 825 that'll be a real bitch.

25 minutes ago, El Tigre Chino said:

If it's true that is such a strange decision to go with a 800Gb drive. I wonder what the limitation or savings are compared to going with a 1tb drive instead.

Because its not a drive. The solution was a custom design to increase bandwidth. These are 12 64GB modules arrayed around the CPU I believe. Its not a single SSD. Hence the results.

Not that I like it, but it is what they compromised on to get a super high speed.

Edited by kittoo

1 hour ago, CarbonCore said:

Its 825GB system storage total. 64GiB chips in 12 channels.

64GiBx12x1.024³=825GB. Formatting and OS will eat up something like 125-150GB.

Need to have that  Sony approved SSD handy, hoping it won't cost a bomb (.....)

Edited by Right

16 minutes ago, kittoo said:

Because its not a drive. The solution was a custom design to increase bandwidth. These are 12 64GB modules arrayed around the CPU I believe. Its not a single SSD. Hence the results.

Not that I like it, but it is what they compromised on to get a super high speed.

Its 12 channels to custom flash controller which then connects to main APU via 4 channel PCIE 4.0. The nand modules themselves are cheap and spreading over 12 channels mean they get crazy speeds without breaking the bank.

• Like 1