The Playstation 5 thread

5 minutes ago, CarbonCore said:

Its 12 channels to custom flash controller which then connects to main APU via 4 channel PCIE 4.0. The nand modules themselves are cheap and spreading over 12 channels mean they get crazy speeds without breaking the bank.

Will the compatible expansion SSDs they will announce have the same "64GiB chips in 12 channels" architecture? 

32 minutes ago, kittoo said:

Because its not a drive. The solution was a custom design to increase bandwidth. These are 12 64GB modules arrayed around the CPU I believe. Its not a single SSD. Hence the results.

Not that I like it, but it is what they compromised on to get a super high speed.

9 minutes ago, CarbonCore said:

Its 12 channels to custom flash controller which then connects to main APU via 4 channel PCIE 4.0. The nand modules themselves are cheap and spreading over 12 channels mean they get crazy speeds without breaking the bank.

Oh that's an interesting approach. Has there been any word on how expandable storage would work on it? I can't imaging regular SSDs functioning at the same performance level.

17 minutes ago, WhatsInTheName said:

Will the compatible expansion SSDs they will announce have the same "64GiB chips in 12 channels" architecture? 

No it'll be your standard 2 or 4 channel NVME drive. Which is why you have to overcompensate with extra speed like 7GB/s 980 Pro. If Sony makes one themselves for PS5 it might be 12 channels though. 

• Thanks 1

Meh. I'd keep an el-cheapo 4TB Hdd connected and move the games around. Anyway i dont play multiple games at a time. I usually play a sports game and one big RPG or single player game at a time on my consoles. So even if the storage is just 600Gb, its not a big issue but yeah a definite inconvenience. 

2 minutes ago, playstationdude said:

Each game is gonna cost 5k anyway, how y'all planning to keep 6-8 games at a time? :fear:

40k invested in games. Rich people!

Game sharing. did that whole last gen of PS4 and Xbox. Buy games at launch at 50% discount. Just need to have a friend you can trust and who is as much into gaming as you are. I'm lucky to have one such friend. We usually agree on all game purchases. Now we are sharing our Steam accounts as well as gamepass on the pc too.

21 minutes ago, dylanjosh said:

5.5k. At that price even the 0.5 counts :( 

I was just pondering, with 50k consoles + this stupid a*s game pricing, does it even make sense to buy a console now? I mean I personally was one of the guys who believed consoles were cheaper than PCs, but I think you can build a decent PC for 70-80k? And game prices will be significantly cheaper plus there is always gamepass?

You can build an okay PC at 70-80k in India. For a comparable PC which will play AAA games for the next 3-4 years without compromising on graphics you'd be looking at spending about 1-1.12L.

Economically (for me) it makes sense if you are going to be using that PC for more than just games. 

I know this is pretty much irrelevant here but might be an indication of India's PS5 launch date.

https://www.playstation.com/es-ar/ps5/?smcid=pdc%3Aes-ar%3Aprimary%20nav%3Amsg-hardware%3Aps5

Argentina PS page updated to show their launch is December 4th. So if some countries are getting late launches despite Sony saying 'Rest of the world on Nov 19th', I think its safe to say we'll have quite the delay too. Maybe December around Xmas, worst case scenario Jan next year like PS4 launch.

Even if it is Dec 4, its not that bad of a delay. Just 2 weeks after ROW. Unlike the 2 months that we were expecting. But atleast they should communicate that and calm the fans. BC pata chale ki raat ko 2 baje randomly preorder open kar diye 20 units ke saath aur subah tak gayab