The Playstation 5 thread

Miles morales DF analysis

From ray tracing to performance mode, Insomniac and PS5 blow us away.

It begins with the simple act of launching the game. Once you clear menu screen animations, loading times are a mere four seconds - an astonishingly short space of time. In fact, the UI transition adds three seconds further to the count. This is so fast that it rivals any cartridge-based system from the past. We've had optical discs and spinning platter drives limiting the speed of consoles for more than two decades, but with the arrival of a fast SSD in the PS5, we're witnessing the end of waiting - or at least, that's the hope, and Spider-Man: Miles Morales highlights what's possible. By comparison, the original PS4 Spider-Man took over 30 seconds to load.

Beyond all of this, the real-time ray traced reflections are simply phenomenal. This is the very first console game we've played with this feature and its arrival reveals many interesting things about the this upcoming generation - and it just so happens that Spider-Man is a perfect game to show it off. Basically, as with any modern city, the world is packed full of shiny surfaces. Glass panels adorn buildings, the metalwork of every vehicle is inherently reflective as are the many polished metals across the world. Put simply, all of these materials produce realistic reflections generated using PS5's hardware accelerated ray tracing. The primary benefit during gameplay is additional parallax and sense of depth while exploring the world. Scaling the side of a building and seeing all that detail reflected across its surface is a true sight to behold, boosting the sense of scale and adding much more realism to the overall presentation.

As the first full game that I've played through on PlayStation 5, Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales is one heck of a place to start. It's every bit as good as the original but offers a fantastic new coat of paint alongside some cool extra features. That we have such an ambitious example of ray tracing right at launch is a really good sign for the future - things can only get better from here, and I can't wait to check out Insomniac's very own Ratchet and Clank. We'll just have to see how that turns out, but in the meantime, Miles Morales is simply a brilliant launch game and a wonderful way to kick off the next generation.

• Like 2

https://press-start.com.au/news/playstation/2020/11/06/the-ps5-doesnt-support-external-hard-drives-for-ps5-games/

When plugging an external hard drive into the PS5, it’s made pretty clear that you can’t store PS5 games on an external with phrases such as “You can install PS4 games to extended storage and play them directly from there”.

At no point is it ever mentioned that you can store PS5 games on the external hard drive.

When trying to move games to the external hard drive that I had plugged in, only PS4 games showed up, which was consistent with that initial message. One saving grace is that you can automatically set the PS5 to install PS4 games on an external hard drive, so that’s pretty handy.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Awesomeash said:

Dave2D says ps4 games work from an external drive. 8ecaf7e62ca8ab70a51ac70750dc74f6.jpg

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk

I'm so glad I backed up my entire digital library to a 2 TB HDD before selling my PS4, even though Sony didn't confirm it'll work on PS5 beforehand

• Like 2

Saw the Digital Foundry video. PS5 doing locked 60 fps on most titles is great.

Also turns out AC Unity dropping to 36fps during cutscenes and interiors :rofl: 

Fanboys here were making fun of DF for showing AC Unity on XSX where it was locked 60 fps . Maybe now yall will understand why its used as a yardstick 

Edited by dylanjosh