The Playstation 5 thread

3 hours ago, WhatsInTheName said:

intent achcha hai, calculation "angle" is a bit off. To get the true cost of "playing" those 108 games you need to add the cost of the PS+ subscription beyond 3 years as well because you can't access them if you unsubscribe.

Now, assuming you will need a couple of years to play those 108 games,  you will get around 70 more games during that time. To play those games you would stay subscribed for another 2 years or so during which you will receive more game.......and so on. You get the point.

Now that this perpetual series is established, one can argue that you can enter it at any point in time and still have the same overall effect. Given that premise, it would be best to enter it when you actually have the console at hand to maximize the value of the money paid. 

Lets say you have determined to buy PS5 or some version of it only after 2-3 years but right now have a FOMO of the games currently being given out on PS Plus. For that I suggest doing the following: make a list of games released on PS plus during the last 3 years and see how many you really wanted to play. check their lowest price on psprices and add them up. If that total its less than the "total cost" of subscription, your FOMO doesn't have much ground.

Now, the only situation where I think buying a subscription right now without a console makes sense is if the PS+ "collection" is of any importance to you. Or, the games released this month are important to you. And then too, you are buying a PS5 within this year. If you delay to next year, again, subscribing right now makes less sense.

And lastly, how come you did 2249 * 3? Isn't that discounted price only for new accounts and there is no stacking possible?   

I am also considering that since this is the 1st year of PS5 they’ll give out good PS5 ps plus games as choices are limited and they want to build the console base, so they’ll give out good games, hopefully. Last 3-4 months have been really good.

2 hours ago, Assassins Creed said:

stacking possible in November sale, Just did it last year..

how would that work? I purchased from the ps online store. now it says i already own it and can't buy more. in the next sale, where there's a 25% or more discount in Nov sale/christmas/March sale, would it allow me to buy 12 months again at discounted price and extend 1 more year beyond my current sub?

Edited by 0verlord

4 minutes ago, 0verlord said:

how would that work? I purchased from the ps online store. now it says i already own it and can't buy more. in the next sale, where there's a 25% or more discount in Nov sale/christmas/March sale, would it allow me to buy 12 months again at discounted price and extend 1 more year beyond my current sub?

Some sales let you stack, July (State of Play) and November should.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Keyofx said:

Oh yea, those are some great games. It's amazing value especially if you skipped the last gen. I also like the fact that I'll have Control UE in my account as long as I'm subbed!

I need to stack a couple of years in the next sale. Is there a stacking cap? :D

There isn't afaik. Some people stacked till 2030 when it was going for $25 :lol:

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, 0verlord said:

plan is to add all PS4 and PS5 games to the library over the next 3 years till my Gamepass Ultimate subscription expires. That’s a total of 36*3 = 108 games. Cost would be 2249*3 = ₹6747. Hopefully, to cover the cost, at least 7 games worth ₹1000 each would be included in the 108 games, rest are just bonus. 

After 3 years, I’ll get the PS5 or PS5 slim which will be hopefully released by that time with more reliable controller and better and smaller design. At that time, I would have a ready library of 108 games from ps plus. Almost as good as Gamepass. To add to that, good PS exclusives will be less than ₹2000 per game by that time (like ff7r integrade)

Disagree with everyone who said you got scammed. :P

This is a solid deal, especially if you get the PS5 Digital.  

PS Plus is valuable only if you keep the subscription for 2-3 years at least. 

And if you're worried you'll never have time to play those 108 games, ask yourself how many games (from over 100 high quality titles) you're actually playing from the game pass library. It's the same. 

As an added bonus, you get to keep ps plus games forever as long as you're subbed. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, WhatsInTheName said:

intent achcha hai, calculation "angle" is a bit off. To get the true cost of "playing" those 108 games you need to add the cost of the PS+ subscription beyond 3 years as well because you can't access them if you unsubscribe.

Now, assuming you will need a couple of years to play those 108 games,  you will get around 70 more games during that time. To play those games you would stay subscribed for another 2 years or so during which you will receive more game.......and so on. You get the point.

Now that this perpetual series is established, one can argue that you can enter it at any point in time and still have the same overall effect. Given that premise, it would be best to enter it when you actually have the console at hand to maximize the value of the money paid. 

Lets say you have determined to buy PS5 or some version of it only after 2-3 years but right now have a FOMO of the games currently being given out on PS Plus. For that I suggest doing the following: make a list of games released on PS plus during the last 3 years and see how many you really wanted to play. check their lowest price on psprices and add them up. If that total its less than the "total cost" of subscription, your FOMO doesn't have much ground.

Now, the only situation where I think buying a subscription right now without a console makes sense is if the PS+ "collection" is of any importance to you. Or, the games released this month are important to you. And then too, you are buying a PS5 within this year. If you delay to next year, again, subscribing right now makes less sense.

And lastly, how come you did 2249 * 3? Isn't that discounted price only for new accounts and there is no stacking possible?   

from last 3 years 2018, 2019, 2020 - some selected PS plus games are as follows. Are they worth ₹9000 in total, even without considering any discounts and paying full price of 3000*3? Are these 46 games worth 9000?

1. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
  2. Bloodborne
  3. Ratchet &Clank
  4. Beyond: Two Souls
  5. Rayman Legends
  6. XCOM 2
  7. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier
  8. Call of Duty: Black Ops III
  9. Heavy Rain
  10. Mafia III
  11. God of War III Remastered
  12. Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition
  13. Yakuza Kiwami
  14. SOMA
  15. Hitman: The Complete First Season
  16. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
  17. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered
  18. What Remains of Edith Finch
  19. Borderlands: The Handsome Collection
  20. Detroit: Become Human – Digital Deluxe Edition
  21. Sniper Elite 4
  22. Batman: Arkham Knight
  23. Darksiders III
  24. The Last of Us Remastered
  25. Nioh
  26. Titanfall 2
  27. Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection
  28. BioShock: The Collection
  29. The Sims 4
  30. Shadow of the Colossus (2018)
  31. Sonic Forces
  32. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
  33. DiRT Rally 2.0
  34. Call of Duty: WWII
  35. Star Wars Battlefront II (2017)
  36. Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration
  37. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Remastered
  38. Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout
  39. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
  40. Street Fighter V
  41. Need for Speed: Payback
  42. Vampyr
  43. Middle-earth: Shadow of War
  44. Hollow Knight: Voidheart Edition
  45. Bugsnax
  46. Just Cause 4

side note: dayum, what a list

Edited by 0verlord
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, adity said:

Thing is they came on the service when they pretty much exhausted their sale potential ie. after going on $5 sales multiple times. If you can wait that much, knock yourself out. I don't. 

Also, no I don't think these games are worth 9000 unless you like every single one of them

Just an example, JC 4 is trash, so is sonic forces, Vampyr is middling, I hated shadow of war, PUBG is abhorrent, TF2 is on EA Play, who tf hasn't played UC4 by now, Xcom 2 runs like a*s, etc. etc. 

would your opinion change considering -

1. this back-test scenario is for a gamer who bought ps4 in 2020 for the 1st time and subbed to ps plus from 2018-20 to collect games - he did not play these games and there was no reason to buy games during 18-20 as he didn't have a console - here, my hypothesis is to stay subbed from 21-23 and then buy a PS5, so I won't be playing and buying any PS5 games till then

2. 1st few years of ps5 may lead to much better ps plus games during 21-23 for attracting new buyers and building ps5 base as compared to last 3 years 18-20 of ps4 gen (not that good games)

but the question still remains whether cost of 3 years' sub is less than cost of buying those ps plus games 3 years later with price drop. even if we consider 10 really good ps plus games which cost 1000 each (during sale or in 2nd hand market), that more than covers 3 years' sub. I am not considering new sub period required to play old ps plus games because you get new games with new sub period and it's a tapering path and can be disregarded just for simplicity's sake

@0verlord I just specified the framework for decision-making. Basically, how to calculate the numbers for making a decision. Not just you, anyone can use it. Heck, I used it to make my own decision (with an Excel sheet and all :D).

Of course, everyone's outcome could be different, because the framework specifies the guidelines, not the outcomes. e.g. it seems you would like to play all these 46 games (my list was around 15). If their lowest discounted prices (again, check on psprices, instead of a random 1000 per game price) during the last 3 years total to more than 9000 (edit: add the cost of duration to actually play those games) then you have have your decision to subscribe. 

PS: all of this is for the hypothetical scenario of someone who will not play a single game given during the 3 years of subscription and then starts playing. You, on the other hand, I am told, already have a PS4. So, for you it does make sense to subscribe as you need not wait 3 years. You can just start playing them now. 

Edited by WhatsInTheName
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, WhatsInTheName said:

@0verlord I just specified the framework for decision-making. Basically, how to calculate the numbers for making a decision. Not just you, anyone can use it. Heck, I used it to make my own decision (with an Excel sheet and all :D).

Of course, everyone's outcome could be different, because the framework specifies the guidelines, not the outcomes. e.g. it seems you would like to play all these 46 games (my list was around 15). If their lowest discounted prices (again, check on psprices, instead of a random 1000 per game price) during the last 3 years total to more than 9000 (edit: add the cost of duration to actually play those games) then you have have your decision to subscribe. 

PS: all of this is for the hypothetical scenario of someone who will not play a single game given during the 3 years of subscription and then starts playing. You, on the other hand, I am told, already have a PS4. So, for you it does make sense to subscribe as you need not wait 3 years. You can just start playing them now. 

thanks for nicely explaining again without being rude, I appreciate it 

10 minutes ago, 0verlord said:

thanks for nicely explaining again without being rude, I appreciate it 

Lol, dont tell me the bar has gone so low on the forum that we need to thank each other for talking like adults.

4 minutes ago, Assassins Creed said:

Spend all this with time us also on Xbox Live  :chair: @quixote_1989

Homer Simpson Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

Outer Worlds is getting too damn interesting. I can't leave. I might need help. Also, I do MP only after 1130 :spank: 

Lets do it tonight. I am ready. Downloaded Wreckfest, transferred Gears 5 and FH4 and Dirt 5 was on disk already. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, WhatsInTheName said:

Lol, dont tell me the bar has gone so low on the forum that we need to thank each other for talking like adults.

Homer Simpson Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

Outer Worlds is getting too damn interesting. I can't leave. I might need help. Also, I do MP only after 1130 :spank: 

Lets do it tonight. I am ready. Downloaded Wreckfest, transferred Gears 5 and FH4 and Dirt 5 was on disk already. 

Download Rocket league also