The Playstation 5 thread

59 minutes ago, rushaboswal said:

A genuine question, do you really notice any of this when playing like some of them are shown by zooming 2 and 4x who has got so much time lmao XD
Unless there is some really really big difference all of this is just waste of time for us, and a good way for youtubers to earn money from the console war-boys .

this was in context of a previous conversation a few days back and it was regarding which version to buy - ps5 or xsx, in case someone has both consoles and opportunity to buy the game on both consoles. Here, only 2-3 simple points being considered to make the decision. Also, you do notice a difference in sharpness on TVs of size 65 inch and above - lower resolution or (bad) checkerboarding is immediately noticeable. So, there is no console war here. Only advice is being taken about a purchase decision.  

Edited by Panopticon
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, rushaboswal said:

Unless there is some really really big difference all of this is just waste of time for us

Checkerboard 4K & Native 4K is a lot of difference bro 

Obviously for someone not enthu enough even 1080p vs 4K won’t matter 

But yeah the preferred version in this case ends up being the PS5 coz SX drops a lot of frames if you don’t have a VRR display 

8 minutes ago, AnK said:

Checkerboard 4K & Native 4K is a lot of difference bro 

Obviously for someone not enthu enough even 1080p vs 4K won’t matter 

But yeah the preferred version in this case ends up being the PS5 coz SX drops a lot of frames if you don’t have a VRR display 

a few (or lot??) dropped frames in a few chaotic scenes vs noticeable improvement in sharpness for the full length of the game - which is better? Last time you said XSX, now PS5. What's the right answer?

I have seen the videos now which I mentioned last time I hadn’t 

SX drops frames consistently even outside chaotic scenes 

Like normal stealth action & water intense areas 

Though if you have a VRR display these sections will play smoother & you’ll notice drops only in chaotic areas 

Otherwise PS5 version should be preferred,softer resolution but no hiccups 

First Norman posts pic with Robbie from SH3 in it, now BlueBox pic shows blurred pic of some guy in an eyepatch?!

Are we getting both Silent Hill Remake and MGS Remake?! or maybe Solidus?! or Majima?!

GIF by Sky

Edited by gecko89

8 hours ago, AnK said:

Though if you have a VRR display these sections will play smoother & you’ll notice drops only in chaotic areas 

cool. One possible alternative you can do on xsx is play with fps boost on. Resolution is same native 2016p but might give better fps performance than this latest update 

2 minutes ago, Panopticon said:

cool. One possible alternative you can do on xsx is play with fps boost on. Resolution is same native 2016p but might give better fps performance than this latest update 

It’s the same whether you use patch or FPS boost 

Infact most likely after the patch the FPS boost feature might have to be removed from this game 

Neither SX nor PS5 is capable of giving great performance at a Native 2000+p resolution 

It’s got nothing to do with patch or API boost

Though end of the day it all comes to preferences 

Some might not mind the performance judder & would like to go with pristine image quality  

14 hours ago, Panopticon said:

a few (or lot??) dropped frames in a few chaotic scenes vs noticeable improvement in sharpness for the full length of the game - which is better? Last time you said XSX, now PS5. What's the right answer?

14 hours ago, AnK said:

Just as I said 

53 minutes ago, AnK said:

Just as I said 

yes. Some consolation for Xbox is that it's brighter. Worst part is that it falls into the 40s in very very few cases. But as you said, people who are sticklers for 'native' pristine 4k (for mental satisfaction) over locked 60 fps would like to go for Xbox. For example, RnC Rift Apart has Fidelity gfx mode with 30-40fps - something which a majority of players preferred due to sheer good looks. Also, I think with higher native resolution, textures scale up and do look much clearer. 

Edited by Panopticon

7 minutes ago, Panopticon said:

yes. Some consolation for Xbox is that it's brighter. Worst part is that it falls into the 40s in very very few cases. But as you said, people who are sticklers for 'native' pristine 4k (for mental satisfaction) over locked 60 fps would like to go for Xbox. For example, RnC Rift Apart has Fidelity gfx mode with 30-40fps - something which a majority of players preferred due to sheer good looks. Also, I think with higher native resolution, textures scale up and do look much clearer. 

They're not comparable scenarios.

Well technically speaking you can’t compare an inconsistent frame rate with RnC’s locked 30 or 40 or 60 framerate 

See higher framerate is important but the biggest problem than even a lower framerate is inconsistent frame time graph 

When a game consistently has an uneven frame time graph jumping up & down it leads to a lot judder & janky screens even in comparison to a locked lower framerate 

So the RnC reference isn’t right here coz all it’s modes have a somewhat consistently locked framerate & hence frame time graph 

Edited by AnK

6 minutes ago, AnK said:

Well technically speaking you can’t compare an inconsistent frame rate with RnC’s locked 30 or 40 or 60 framerate 

See higher framerate is important but the biggest problem than even a lower framerate is inconsistent frame time graph 

When a game consistently has an uneven frame time graph jumping up & down it leads to a lot judder & janky screens even in comparison to a locked lower framerate 

So the RnC reference isn’t right here coz all it’s modes have a somewhat consistently locked framerate & hence frame time graph 

That and the fact that R&C is 40fps on 120Hz which is not the same as 40fps on 60Hz.

10 minutes ago, TRMNTR said:

They're not comparable scenarios.

10 minutes ago, AnK said:

I am not comparing them on technical grounds

I am comparing them on the grounds of ‘mental satisfaction’ that you get from knowing that you are playing the highest fidelity, most ‘native’ 4k pristine image quality, irrespective of framerate

6 minutes ago, Panopticon said:

I am not comparing them on technical grounds

I am comparing them on the grounds of ‘mental satisfaction’ that you get from knowing that you are playing the highest fidelity, most ‘native’ 4k pristine image quality, irrespective of framerate

I don't care much for resolution since I play on a 1440p monitor but to each his own. :)

3 minutes ago, TRMNTR said:

I don't care much for resolution since I play on a 1440p monitor but to each his own. :)

I don't even know how people would know if dynamic res was in action in motion. Not like we're gonna pause, zoom 400% and check for artifacts. Especially when upscale tech is so good now.