The Playstation 5 thread

8 minutes ago, gecko89 said:

I don't even know how people would know if dynamic res was in action in motion. Not like we're gonna pause, zoom 400% and check for artifacts. Especially when upscale tech is so good now. 

on TVs of 65 inch size or bigger, screen is very large and softness is noticeable 

Just now, gecko89 said:

I don't even know how people would know if dynamic res was in action in motion. Not like we're gonna pause, zoom 400% and check for artifacts. Especially when upscale tech is so good now. 

Checkerboard resolution is not same as Dynamic resolution 

it will be consistently blurrier than Native resolution even when you are marvelling the beauty of a scene 

But alas the reviewer up states that it’s a very good implementation of checkerboarding on par with Sony games & SX is a tad lighter than native 4k anyway,standing at 2016p 

So it’s not exactly unmatchable quality to begin with 

ppl who own both systems should definitely opt for PS5 version unless you want that Native 4K mental satisfaction 

35 minutes ago, TRMNTR said:

That and the fact that R&C is 40fps on 120Hz which is not the same as 40fps on 60Hz.

Yeah. Initially, I was playing RnC with Performance RT settings but ever since the 40 fps update came, Fidelity mode is my preferred mode because 40 fps at 120 Hz feels incredibly smooth. Perfect balance of both aesthetics and performance

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, iam said:

Not if you have VRR. VRR takes care of fluctuations between 40 and 120 fps. 

Very uncommon spec in the market right now 

Though I still mentioned that in my previous posts

31 minutes ago, Panopticon said:

I am not comparing them on technical grounds

I am comparing them on the grounds of ‘mental satisfaction’ that you get from knowing that you are playing the highest fidelity, most ‘native’ 4k pristine image quality, irrespective of framerate

That mental satisfaction is there only if the performance is not getting hampered. I fail to see how can people get that "mental satisfaction" if the actual playing/gameplay part is laggy/not optimum

3 minutes ago, Sach4life said:

actual playing/gameplay part is laggy/not optimum

it’s not laggy. Average framerate is around 58.something which means that drops occur during a few seconds and likely to be missed by average people 

if you told me that frame drops occur for hours on I’d change my mind

anyway this discussion concerns only those with both consoles and dilemma of which version to buy. Others may not bother

6 minutes ago, iam said:

People shouldn't opt for either because both ROTR and Sotr are just mediocre as sh*t. 

But, if you have to play i imagine most would go for ps since it was free on ps plus. 

Should play sotr for ‘mental satisfaction’ of having completed the trilogy 

otherwise, one would be on one’s deathbed and regretting that - dammit, why didn’t I complete the trilogy!!

people are seriously underestimating the ‘mental satisfaction’ factor. It’s a real thing 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Panopticon said:

it’s not laggy. Average framerate is around 58.something which means that drops occur during a few seconds and likely to be missed by average people 

if you told me that frame drops occur for hours on I’d change my mind

anyway this discussion concerns only those with both consoles and dilemma of which version to buy. Others may not bother

Wasn't talking specifically about this game. Just commenting on how scenarios can be different and its not a just a simple option between performance vs resolution always.

30 minutes ago, gecko89 said:

Change in res for dynamic resolution are tough to spot unless there are huge drops in res. However, if the max res is low to begin with, it would be pretty evident.

39 minutes ago, gecko89 said:

also, if you want a BIG example of checkerboarding softness, check this video from 4.20 till 14.00

I have saved you from watching the full 30 minutes video and specified only relevant 10 minutes. So you must watch it. And watch at 1080p

I guarantee that anyone will change their opinion about checkerboarding and upscaling after watching from 5.10 till 14.00

Edited by Panopticon
Watch from 4.20 to 14.00
  • Like 1

Not every game’s Checkerboard solution is on par 

Sony games usually implement it the best 

NXG said it’s on par with that & considering the tad lower than native 4k on SX version,it’s not unmatchable in SoTR’s case 

But anyway if you have made up your mind then irrespective of what I or NXG say you should go for pristine resolution & Framerate is not like it’s unplayable or anything 

1 hour ago, Panopticon said:

also, if you want a BIG example of checkerboarding softness, check this video from 4.20 till 14.00

I have saved you from watching the full 30 minutes video and specified only relevant 10 minutes. So you must watch it. And watch at 1080p

I guarantee that anyone will change their opinion about checkerboarding and upscaling after watching from 5.10 till 14.00

I get it.

But Sony(and MS as well I'm sure) has come a long way from basic checkerboarding, plus I did mention 'in motion' and not pause, zoomed 400% to see differences. I know I won't be doing that while playing any game. 

Edited by gecko89

9 minutes ago, Mr.Copyright© said:

Wonder how VGchartzz got to know this figure weeks in advance 

They are definitely wrong about their Xbox numbers 

The officially released numbers just don’t tally…….

……..oh well 

• Haha 1

PS5 is the fastest-selling PlayStation as it hits 10m sales milestone

• Other sales figures released by Sony includes that Spider-Man: Miles Morales has sold over 6.5 million copies since its launch last year.
  • PS5 exclusives Returnal, released in April, has exceeded 560,000 copies
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, which was released last month, is already on over 1.1 million units worldwide.
  • Sony San Diego-developed MLB: The Show 21, which was released on non-PlayStation platforms, has surpassed two million sales worldwide. The game actually has more than four million players, and was included in the Xbox Game Pass subscription service.

• Like 2