The Playstation 5 thread

29 minutes ago, SaiKO said:

Amazon box was already open. 

This. 

The video is suspicious because they decided to film it after cutting the Amazon box’s packaging tape. ?

It’s like they already know the PS5 was not going to be inside…

22 minutes ago, Assassins Creed said:

Chances of Amazon doing the scam is unlikely as they should have quality checks in place before anything leaves warehouse.

They can mitigate this issue easily by adding tamper-proof seals like Reliance Digital. Once the seal is broken, they won’t be liable. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, SaiKO said:

Just saying, what are the chances you unbox your PS5 while making video when you are not a youtuber or something? 

Also, the SEAL sticker can be removed nicely with a HEAT GUN. 
Bottom seal never been shown in video.

Nice scam though, from whichever side that is...seller or customer.

I always make a video while opening any expensive item I have bought online. Should ideally be doing it for all items though (even cheaper ones).

8 hours ago, Assassins Creed said:

Chances of Amazon doing the scam is unlikely as they should have quality checks in place before anything leaves warehouse.

When you say "Amazon" doing the scam, do remember most of these items are delivered by ATS, which are technically mostly sh*t 3rd party last mile delivery, but is still under the gamut of Amazon. 

Fixing this is relatively easy - tamper proof packing (might increase packing and delivery costs) + mandatory open box delivery with video evidence above certain value (they can also strategically position multiple barcodes etc which have to be scanned before opening any box - and any tampering with the box renders the barcode useless). 

The deciding factor is costs. Will implementing whatever mitigation strategy be costlier than the current rate of returns ? Remember, every return hits the seller, not Amazon (unless it's Cloudtail etc).

Pretty sure Amazon must have done their deep dive into whatever is the cheapest option. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vamos said:

This. 

The video is suspicious because they decided to film it after cutting the Amazon box’s packaging tape. ?

It’s like they already know the PS5 was not going to be inside…

Nothing suspicious about it. When I got my PS5, even I opened the main amazon box, saw the Ps5 box sealed inside and then gave the OTP to the delivery guy. Have done the same thing while ordering mobile phones where I open the main packaging and see if it's the right phone without unboxing it. Amazon or FK was not this bad earlier.

I would rather trust the victim here esp since he's one of us than some e- commerce site which is known for duping people recently esp with many cases of people getting fake games. 

• Like 2

I personally knew some dishonest a**holes doing scams like this for mobile phones, and those are from consumer end. So I have hard time believing that consumers are the victims always. 

You CAN get broken items (which gets broken in shipment), you CAN get opened box with some of the items missing from inside. But A SEALED box with a slightly oxidized inverter inside? Seems like a alot of work from delivery person's end. And tbh, they lose their job like this...I can easily say the delivery complaints already raised a Red flag to their job, which, if true, then could bring an end to their career in anywhere in future, and I don't think nowadays nobody is stupid enough to do that for a ps5, it's not worth that. Nor it happens in Amazon's warehouse, they have strict policy about this, and if it's a returned product, they check the item (Again) in their warehouse before resealing it again (For amazon fulfilled seller specifically).

It's nice to romanticize that you get a bar of soap instead of a phone delivery or an inverter instead of ps5 because it's sooo much easier to blame a corporation and sympathize a fellow consumer (because it's easier to relate). But knowing ugly side of story, I don't actually believe that it's the consumer who are always the victim.

And this video doesn't hold enough proof. Seals can be tampered with....just need a heatgun or a very good hairdryer. And the way the guy was unpacking, I dunno....seems like he was very straight forward on his way to show the inverter... as if he know something is wrong!

On 10/17/2021 at 9:24 AM, Assassins Creed said:

I thought return wasn't an option for consoles ? During return the courier guy also checks what are you returning, Is it the same product etc.

Such scams are being mostly done at local level courier distribution center.. there was a video running around where he is checking boxes which is not his job... 

Did amazon reply to this?

18 hours ago, KnackChap said:

Nothing suspicious about it. When I got my PS5, even I opened the main amazon box, saw the Ps5 box sealed inside and then gave the OTP to the delivery guy. Have done the same thing while ordering mobile phones where I open the main packaging and see if it's the right phone without unboxing it. Amazon or FK was not this bad earlier.

Often delivery agents refuse giving the box without the OTP first. I start video recording from that moment onwards, give the OTP, take the package, and unbox it right there with video still on. 

Sometimes I tempt them with a Rs 100 tip for them to wait till I unbox the entire package and record the video right in front of them.

2 hours ago, ox- said:

Often delivery agents refuse giving the box without the OTP first. I start video recording from that moment onwards, give the OTP, take the package, and unbox it right there with video still on. 

Sometimes I tempt them with a Rs 100 tip for them to wait till I unbox the entire package and record the video right in front of them.

Similar thing my delivery boy said after he realised I opened the box without giving OTP. He said you have 10 ways to get your money back but we'll lose our job if u refuse after opening box. 

15 minutes ago, KnackChap said:

Similar thing my delivery boy said after he realised I opened the box without giving OTP. He said you have 10 ways to get your money back but we'll lose our job if u refuse after opening box. 

Yup I don't think the delivery person would take back the item after I open it, they would just refuse/run away. Just the fact that I have a video recording where the delivery person also acknowledges that the item isn't as intended just gives me a stronger case to fight with Amazon/FK.

On 10/15/2021 at 3:12 PM, LordSpymaster said:

The PS5 I ordered for my friend too was also fake. Linking the full thread below. Never happened to me on Amazon before today. Damn! And he had bought a new FIFA too, can't play it now :|

On 10/15/2021 at 6:52 PM, 0verlord said:

video should have been better for a more concrete case, this video has these weaknesses

1) amazon's cardboard box opened beforehand

2) bottom of the ps5 box not shown as sealed

but this is serious massive ball-shriveling f**kup if true

On 10/16/2021 at 1:05 PM, silica said:

Just google how people replace products and return the wrong one in the box. If the online seller did not check properly when the item was returned, then an unfortunate customer will receive the wrong product, but in the correct packaging.

@rushaboswal will be better able to answer this type of fraud than I.

On 10/17/2021 at 9:16 AM, SaiKO said:

Just saying, what are the chances you unbox your PS5 while making video when you are not a youtuber or something? 

Also, the SEAL sticker can be removed nicely with a HEAT GUN. 
Bottom seal never been shown in video.

Nice scam though, from whichever side that is...seller or customer.

Tbh , even when i first saw the video it looked suspicious, but i cant tell for sure either way. 

I got my PS5 on Amazon , firstly they sent me a digital edition instead of the disc version, secondly they didnt even send it in a cardboard box , it just came like how you would buy it in a store. I still recorded the opening though , but when i got the box the bottom was also unsealed and then sealed again in a very haphazard manner. So even if i had got scammed , I'm not sure if that video would have been enough proof. And also ,on watching the video , i realised that i kept the phone down for a second and the screen went dark , and i was praying that there was an actual PS5 inside, loll. 

On 10/16/2021 at 3:16 AM, Walker said:

Holy crap. Man I'd be literally crying. Dafuq. After Dualshock 2, was this a f**king rusty old amp? 

True story, we got a used mop from Amazon last month :roflroll: Like who the f**k used the mop and then returned it?

They (Amazon) can make an issue of the fact that the video starts after the original box is opened already. If you are making an unboxing video, why not make it from the beginning, and match the Order ID to what is there on the box. Or am I missing an earlier video in the thread or something? This is the stuff of nightmares man, i can only imagine the sinking feeling in the stomach when they realise they have been scammed. 

Edited by Soultrader92

On 10/15/2021 at 2:02 PM, CtrlAltDev93 said:

First, I thought they just screwed up and sent me a regular DS5

kX9DBpY.jpg

But then I saw the crappy carboard box and thought "f**k"

4rx6ILs.jpg

And then I opened the box and lost my sh*t

UQ2NPFW.jpg

Did you get a refund? What did they investigate? And was this Cloudtail?

On 10/15/2021 at 3:45 PM, Mysteryman said:

That sucks. It seems that there are frauds in small to medium sized items. 

Any cases for larger items like Fridges, washing machine and TVs?

For larger whitegoods, i remember flipkart used to have a policy that customer is not to open the box after it has been delivered, the box was to only be opened by the installation guy. If not, then they would get no refund, no warranty nothing in case of broken product or fake or different product, Which frankly i think is not such a bad idea if the installation guy can come within a couple of days. 

From the perspective of Amazon its much easier for them to refund and move on and use analytics and data to reduce the instances of customers scamming them. If they start to get really strict with returns, the loss from reduced sales will be FAR greater. I mean honestly already most people in this group would avoid buying a game from amazon if they had a choice and the price differential is not astronomical. 

• Thanks 1