The Playstation 5 thread

9 minutes ago, CtrlAltDev93 said:

my girlfriend dumped me because I left a marketing job to pursue a course in Writing for Video Game

If you are a malayali, I find it very easy to believe this.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Soultrader92 said:

haha how did that turn out? the writing course i mean

Was supposed to leave for Canada to do the course but then Covid happened. So back to the same old marketing job and no girlfriend. Doing an online course in the same field for now before I can plan for higher studies again.

3 minutes ago, b!T said:

If you are a malayali, I find it very easy to believe this.

yep. Malayali AF.

21 minutes ago, roun90 said:

Forget GPUs, CPUs and consoles. The first thing that tax has to be reduced on (permanently) is petrol/diesel/fuel. Your CPUs/GPUs might affect one industry that may or may not come in the future. I say may/may not - because there is still a very large cultural stigma on video games. Even if govt. allows it, a lot of parents and old people (along with the huge non-gamer population of the current gen), will actively stop any development of gaming or any other such industry in India.

But what does fuel affect - everything. Once logistics are affected, every damn thing has to get more expensive, whether you like it or not. Essential/Non-Essential - all of that is immaterial. Anything you buy will always be cost of good + transport (which includes tax of transport). Govt. seriously has to get it's priorities right. Tax luxuries. But fuel is the very basis of everything. Don't classify that as a luxury. No govt. has ever yet classified fuel as essential till now though, which is sad. All govts. are still in the pre-independence mentality that all cars/trucks etc. are luxuries and only bullock carts are the true means of transport.

Fuel falls under the ambit of state governments though. So we can never have an uniform price of fuel in India. 

Edited by radicaldude

1 minute ago, CtrlAltDev93 said:

Was supposed to leave for Canada to do the course but then Covid happened. So back to the same old marketing job and no girlfriend. Doing an online course in the same field for now before I can plan for higher studies again.

yep. Malayali AF.

Hope it all works out bro. But its a tough industry and especially difficult for brown folks on the non-tech/ non-graphic/art side.

• Thanks 1

Just now, b!T said:

lol, no. Gold diggers are universal bro. What I meant was, even youngsters in Kerala find the idea of gaming as an adult hobby pretty ridiculous. 

Even youngsters eh? I draw quite a lot of reactions from family members when they see my gaming console, or when i talk about the gaming industry. Anecdotally speaking I had many malayali friends growing up but they loved gaming, it was in the Middle east though so maybe thats a factor. Kerala in itself might have more of a stigma. 

4 minutes ago, Soultrader92 said:

Even youngsters eh? I draw quite a lot of reactions from family members when they see my gaming console, or when i talk about the gaming industry. Anecdotally speaking I had many malayali friends growing up but they loved gaming, it was in the Middle east though so maybe thats a factor. Kerala in itself might have more of a stigma. 

Pretty sure it's because of the location. I don't want to generalize too much and it has become much better than say 15 years ago. I am a pretty social guy and only malayali girl I know who plays games is my sister. I know a lot more non malayali girls who play games so my statements are purely based on my own experience.

Edited by b!T

1 minute ago, Soultrader92 said:

it was in the Middle east though

That is the reason many Malayalis have a console - the Middle East connection. My brother and I grew up in UAE so gaming as a hobby wasn’t frowned upon as kids and my cousins would ask us to buy them a console or games and such when we come down for holidays. Same cousins now look at my gaming room and ask me to grow the f**k up because “gAmInG iS fOr kIdS”

2 hours ago, Soultrader92 said:

Yeah see thats the part of my post that wasnt entirely explicit. What I mean is that the traditional thinking and what you are saying here is about gaming as an end commodity in itself, I am trying to argue that it need not be that way. Government should think of gaming equipment as a platform/ A capital good (in economics lingo) and the rest of the gaming products as the end product.

You make the platform cheap and you will have many more people creating content for India, in India. the prices will be low and willingness to pay for India specific content will be high. India has pretty much every ingredient needed to make world class games.

Ummm... Sony did try a lot in making gaming mainstream over here from manufacturing ps2, PS3 games locally which massively reduced prices to making tons of local games like singstar bollywood, hanuman, move cricket  and a few others but none of them worked. NONE. They prolly realised it's easier to sell hardware here & appeal to the core gamer than waste their time and effort convincing the casual pubg/freefire/mobile player. The most you might see from them in the coming years is having one of their AAA games dubbed in hindi. 

even Ross Symons , the owner of bigant studios whoake the cricket games said a couple of days back that cricket 19 was launched at a lower price of steam to see if people give up piracy & sales pick up, it didnt so they're selling cricket 22 at full price again. 

5 minutes ago, KnackChap said:

Ummm... Sony did try a lot in making gaming mainstream over here from manufacturing ps2, PS3 games locally which massively reduced prices to making tons of local games like singstar bollywood, hanuman, move cricket  and a few others but none of them worked. NONE. They prolly realised it's easier to sell hardware here & appeal to the core gamer than waste their time and effort convincing the casual pubg/freefire/mobile player. The most you might see from them in the coming years is having one of their AAA games dubbed in hindi. 

even Ross Symons , the owner of bigant studios whoake the cricket games said a couple of days back that cricket 19 was launched at a lower price of steam to see if people give up piracy & sales pick up, it didnt so they're selling cricket 22 at full price again. 

People have pirate mentality here. Even when games are fairly affordable on PC,  same people dropping upwards of a lakh on gpu hunt for cracks and mods online. Shameless.

PlayStation's ex head is personally working on this afaik & Sounds more like a Nintendo sub type offering. If the highest tier includes a movie sub too then this will be absolutely massive. Expecting to launch after gow Ragnarok when first party software starts drying up. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KnackChap said:

PlayStation's ex head is personally working on this afaik & Sounds more like a Nintendo sub type offering. If the highest tier includes a movie sub too then this will be absolutely massive. Expecting to launch after gow Ragnarok when first party software starts drying up. 

Dick move if they make prev gen games available only via this service and not for purchase like what Nintendo is doing.

1 hour ago, l33tmaniac said:

Dick move if they make prev gen games available only via this service and not for purchase like what Nintendo is doing.

They are merging ps now and ps plus for this, also there has been a new trademark filed that sony will make the console spoof and make the older gen game think it's running on a PS1 for eg. while still running on PS5 or PS4. Thus it makes sense you can't buy it separately.

The question you should be asking is that will they have graphical improvement like xbox back compat. games. If not then i can just imagine the pixelated horror i see trying to play fighting force or motorstorm on an 4k screen. I just want to play motorstorm again :cry: