The Playstation 5 thread

1 hour ago, Mr. Comingle said:

They manufactured out of season games which reduced the price by like 20% or so. Not massively. 

The Indian games they made - hanuman, desi adda, etc were complete dogshit. 

Gaming just needs high time and money investment. It's not that expensive though if you optimise (use game pass, digital sharing, selling discs, etc) but the awareness is just not there. It can really explode if something like xcloud launches here. Most people I know are definitely interested in gaming. 

Reading those list of desi games i wonder how can anyone defend sony for trying, what did they try exactly showing indians they are making games on stereotypes. Wonder how they didn't make a racing game with environmental obstacles like cows and elephants, that would really have had the desi crowd eating off their hand.

Seriously they should have applied the same strategy like US or japan, give funds to a top game developer studio or fund a studio like Prana animation and make a separate game development department that way people have a desi poster child making games and sony can make diversity promoting money off of indian products, like how microsoft is making an image for itself by putting Raji on game pass.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, KnackChap said:

Ummm... Sony did try a lot in making gaming mainstream over here from manufacturing ps2, PS3 games locally which massively reduced prices to making tons of local games like singstar bollywood, hanuman, move cricket  and a few others but none of them worked. NONE. They prolly realised it's easier to sell hardware here & appeal to the core gamer than waste their time and effort convincing the casual pubg/freefire/mobile player. The most you might see from them in the coming years is having one of their AAA games dubbed in hindi. 

even Ross Symons , the owner of bigant studios whoake the cricket games said a couple of days back that cricket 19 was launched at a lower price of steam to see if people give up piracy & sales pick up, it didnt so they're selling cricket 22 at full price again. 

i think you are underestimating how much India has changed since the PS2 era. and also how fast it is changing. Many industries and products which once were unthinkable may become super hot at another time simply due to timing. Also many games and initiatives are likely to fail before they start succeeding. My estimation is that what happened in the tech scene is likely to play out in some way in the game dev scene in 5 years or so. People who have worked in big global studios will come back and set up studios making content in India. 
Has happened already in mobile gaming (playsimple being one of many examples), only a matter of time before it also happens for AAA titles. The demand for AAA content is certainly very high here

so to conclude .. 5 years :)

6 minutes ago, Soultrader92 said:

i think you are underestimating how much India has changed since the PS2 era. and also how fast it is changing. Many industries and products which once were unthinkable may become super hot at another time simply due to timing. Also many games and initiatives are likely to fail before they start succeeding. My estimation is that what happened in the tech scene is likely to play out in some way in the game dev scene in 5 years or so. People who have worked in big global studios will come back and set up studios making content in India. 
Has happened already in mobile gaming (playsimple being one of many examples), only a matter of time before it also happens for AAA titles. The demand for AAA content is certainly very high here

so to conclude .. 5 years :)

Ubisoft is making the prince of persia remake here with their desi studio, PoP craze was huge here, i think ubisoft pune might have taken the initiative in telling ubi hq that we want to make the remake,

31 minutes ago, Mysteryman said:

If the new PS service include a tier allowing day one games, it will hasten the end of physical discs. 

Just a matter of a correct pricing. 

Why would it, those like me who want a library want to enjoy the boxart, steelbook, the joy of taking out a new game from it's wrapping shackles there is no other way than physical discs. Call me old school, but fuk digital. Not just me saying though strong number of game sales of physical compared to digital despite the pandemic.

You lose your emotional connection with digital games, it's just another peace of digital fat to add and then sh*t out when you are done with the game, but with physical disc, you may have some free time one afternoon then you go through your game collection, look fondly at a game disc, pop it in and start reminiscing the good ol days. You will never get that from a digital purchase sitting in your library which you might have forgotten it's there.

Long live physical game discs.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NitroNeo said:

Why would it, those like me who want a library want to enjoy the boxart, steelbook, the joy of taking out a new game from it's wrapping shackles there is no other way than physical discs. Call me old school, but fuk digital. Not just me saying though strong number of game sales of physical compared to digital despite the pandemic.

You lose your emotional connection with digital games, it's just another peace of digital fat to add and then sh*t out when you are done with the game, but with physical disc, you may have some free time one afternoon then you go through your game collection, look fondly at a game disc, pop it in and start reminiscing the good ol days. You will never get that from a digital purchase sitting in your library which you might have forgotten it's there.

Long live physical game discs.

You do know that a majority of the sales is digital so disappearance of physical discs is inevitable much like the PC games, movies and music discs. Console games are probably the only major software that still exist in physical form.  

As for me, I buy physical discs mainly for resale. if it is a cheap, out of stock or only available abroad then digital. 

Collector/special editions will just gather dust over time and have little or no value here. 

Edited by Mysteryman

7 hours ago, Mysteryman said:

If the new PS service include a tier allowing day one games, it will hasten the end of physical discs. 

Just a matter of a correct pricing. 

Will never happen. 

It’ll essentially just be PS Plus + PS Now, with support for more PS2 games and PS3 games via cloud. 

At best, they will include demos to their first party games 

10 hours ago, playstationdude said:

People have pirate mentality here. Even when games are fairly affordable on PC,  same people dropping upwards of a lakh on gpu hunt for cracks and mods online. Shameless.

Yeah, with a digital only future, the piracy concerns could be resolved at least for locked hardware such as consoles (similarly to Apple). 

PC is a harder nut to crack due to mods. 

34 minutes ago, Vamos said:

Will never happen. 

It’ll essentially just be PS Plus + PS Now, with support for more PS2 games and PS3 games via cloud. 

Maybe not in launch. But could happen one day if Xbox is performing better and threatens PS position. 

28 minutes ago, Mysteryman said:

Maybe not in launch. But could happen one day if Xbox is performing better and threatens PS position. 

It can only happen if roles are reversed & it’s Sony that’s on the loosing end with hardly any exclusive content in comparison.

Let’s be realistic here…with the amount of content Sony has even if they give two year old content on subscription,ppl will prefer that over things like Outriders,B4B,Dirt etc.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WhiteWolf said:

Waste if no dayone game 

Lmao 

Let M$ roll out their own “every quarter AAA” regime to see how it sustains quality. 

Right now it’s like 2 in 2 years & that too has games like Flight Simulator & the other PC only RTS. 
Which don’t really cater to core demographic.

Expecting something unrealistic based on just a ‘road map’ is quite frankly stupid & imaginary.

• Like 2

Sony doesnt need to serve their games, day 1, on a platter. Their games sell in millions any which ways.

This service is akin to the Online service by Nintendo, to allow gamers to experience legacy franchises that are not playable on present gen system.

Edited by radicaldude
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Vamos said:

Will never happen. 

Never say never. It may happen if Sony starts releasing flops after flops like MS did last gen. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, CarbonCore said:

Never say never. It may happen if Sony starts releasing flops after flops like MS did last gen. 

& then stopped realising stuff altogether. 

Even PSplus was born out of Sony’s attempt to cater the non day1 buyers & that’s exactly what GamesPass is.

A much more juiced up version. 

1 day1 game like Gears,Halo or Starfield a year & then stuff like Outriders,Dirt,MLB(big only in US),B4B & gunk AA hardly makes it the most lucrative deal in gaming. 

It’s stuff like RDR2,DoomE,Hades,ScarletN & many other 6-12 month old titles that truly bring value into GP. 

& we all know that by now.

Imagine Sony offering all of their 2020-2021 line up at the Spring 2022 launch of this integrated service. 

Edited by AnK

If they release their streaming service in India before Microsoft does then I'd be really surprised. I'm also keen to see how they'd merge the existing subscriber base with this new addition. Probably something similar to what Game Pass Ultimate did in terms of its conversion ratio and price. They really need to look at including more PS5 titles now. Game Pass is already doing a stellar job with that. PS Now hasn't even started that yet.

8 minutes ago, AnK said:

& then stopped realising stuff altogether. 

Even PSplus was born out of Sony’s attempt to cater the non day1 buyers & that’s exactly what GamesPass is.

A much more juiced up version. 

1 day1 game like Gears,Halo or Starfield a year & then stuff like Outriders,Dirt,MLB(big only in US),B4B & gunk AA hardly makes it the most lucrative deal in gaming. 

It’s stuff like RDR2,DoomE,Hades,ScarletN & many other 6-12 month old titles that truly bring value into GP. 

& we all know that by now.

Imagine Sony offering all of their 2020-2021 line up at the Spring 2022 launch of this integrated service. 

I think the picture would get clearer post December 8th 2021. 

15 minutes ago, Ethan_Hunt said:

If they release their streaming service in India before Microsoft does then I'd be really surprised.

I don’t think either is bothered about the Indian market right now. 
I just hope PSnow makes it’s way to India for this integration to even happen. 

& First Party once added should not leave the service like it has been happening all along. 

They need to complete with GamesPass in a calculative way & the sooner they realise it the better.

Anyone expecting Sony to through away money like M$ have been doing with Xbox since it’s existence is just being unrealistic.

I don’t think anyone would want Playstation to loose the charm of what it’s good at. 

Edited by AnK

13 minutes ago, Vaibhavp said:

People treating Sony games such as Horizon FW, Ghost of Tsushima, Uncharted etc somehow better than Gears, Halo, Forza etc makes me laugh.

MS games follow GAAS model and over time improve so much, without charging a penny for updates.

Because they are. Waiting for December 8th.