The Playstation 5 thread

1 hour ago, Heaven Angel said:

New PlayStation firmware out today for PS5/4

Open and Closed Parties

UI enhancements on PS5 & accessibility features

Voice Command test for accounts in US/UK

PS App and remote play enhancements

Sony teases VRR finally coming soon to PS5, planned to release "in the coming months"

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/03/23/ps5-and-ps4-system-software-updates-release-globally-today/

FOhd99xXMAsYkQ6?format=jpg&name=large

what does this mean 

“As an added option, you can also choose to apply VRR to PS5 games that don’t support it. This feature may improve video quality for some games. If this results in any unexpected visual effects, you can turn off this option at any time. Both VRR and this secondary option can be turned on or”

Isn’t VRR supposed to work in all games ? 

25 minutes ago, hsk_colossus said:

what does this mean 

“As an added option, you can also choose to apply VRR to PS5 games that don’t support it. This feature may improve video quality for some games. If this results in any unexpected visual effects, you can turn off this option at any time. Both VRR and this secondary option can be turned on or”

Isn’t VRR supposed to work in all games ? 

Doesnt it need to be supported by the devs?

1 hour ago, roun90 said:

Looking at reddit and other sites - seems that the new update has destroyed PS+. No way to get online, and no cloud saves. Only the free games were spared. Such stupidity :doh: Hope Sony fixes this quickly.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2022/03/ps5-online-playstation-plus-update

2 minutes ago, hsk_colossus said:

Yup! Can't go online without the latest patch, and the latest patch destroys your ability to go online. No way to roll-back patch. Also, so many people reporting that it's not a one-off. I wonder - did Sony even test the patch before rolling it out? Horrible performance on Sony's part.

34 minutes ago, roun90 said:

I wonder - did Sony even test the patch before rolling it out? Horrible performance on Sony's part.

My first thought as well. I'm sure this was jn beta for months, and it didn't show up?! Almost like someone did a hotfix in production and made it live without even basic testing.

9 minutes ago, Soultrader92 said:

Is VRR really such a big deal? can someone pls explain?

It’s the only real advantage SX had over PS5 so far. 
(apart from freebies of course) 

It is a boon for games that can’t really lock themselves at a stable Framerate. 

Basically more & more newer performance heavy games that have to showcase a respectable resolution on PS5/SX but also want a buttery smooth performance. 

Deathloop

Dying Light 2 

Elden Ring 

are at the top of my mind which will benefit massively with VRR on PS5. 

Edited by AnK
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, AnK said:

It’s the only real advantage SX had over PS5 so far. 
(apart from freebies of course) 

It is a boon for games that can’t really lock themselves at a stable Framerate. 

Basically more & more newer performance heavy games that have to showcase a respectable resolution on PS5/SX but also want a buttery smooth performance. 

Deathloop

Dying Light 2 

Elden Ring 

are at the top of my mind which will benefit massively with VRR on PS5. 

Did some youtube searching. This is quite the rabbit hole .....
Apparently there is VRR, Vsync, G sync, Freesync ....
I run ps5 on a 60 hz 32" monitor with 1440p resolution so i guess i shouldnt think about this much 

1 minute ago, Soultrader92 said:

Did some youtube searching. This is quite the rabbit hole .....
Apparently there is VRR, Vsync, G sync, Freesync ....
I run ps5 on a 60 hz 32" monitor with 1440p resolution so i guess i shouldnt think about this much 

You will need hdmi 2.1 which means $$$. Basically OLED territory.

Xbox supports Freesync over hdmi which can be had in a monitor even under Rs 10k. 

I myself got a monitor with Freesync premium with extended VRR support even below its limit, 120 fps, HDR etc. It basically supports whole shebang that console offers. With excellent IPS picture quality. All for under 14k. 

2 hours ago, Soultrader92 said:

Is VRR really such a big deal? can someone pls explain?

VRR helps with framepacing (random stutter) and screen tearing by matching the game framerate with display framerate. And screen tearing is usually not an issue with modern games. If however you're sensitive to framerate drops it wont do jack. A 45 fps game will feel like 45 fps game on both VRR and non-VRR displays. Its not a crutch like some people believe if your game wavers between 30-50 fps.