The Playstation 5 thread

8 minutes ago, Legacy Gamer said:

Just two^2 words: smaller heatsink, more heat.

Sony has increased the price and reduced the quality. 

Xbox is becoming more of an attractive proposition right now. 

Well, not necessarily the only reason for reduction in weight. They moved from 6nm process from 7nm in this revision which alone will reduce the size of silicon. This change in fabrication might be one of the reasons behind the increased price but it will result in better availability of chips and supply will improve. Beyond this, we cant assume that reduction in heatsink will cause more heat because this is 3rd revision, they have revised the model already last year where people were again quick to jump the gun and were calling for Sony's head but an exhaustive test from Gamernexus showed that sony reduced the weight and actually improved the thermals. 

So I would wait for the review of new model by Gamernexus before jumping the gun again based on just hearing few things here and there. 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Legacy Gamer said:

Just two^2 words: smaller heatsink, more heat.

Sony has increased the price and reduced the quality. 

Xbox is becoming more of an attractive proposition right now. 

first off that's 4 words :P

Secondly what @ZooZoo said. 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, ZooZoo said:

Well, not necessarily the only reason for reduction in weight. They moved from 6nm process from 7nm in this revision which alone will reduce the size of silicon. This change in fabrication might be one of the reasons behind the increased price but it will result in better availability of chips and supply will improve. Beyond this, we cant assume that reduction in heatsink will cause more heat because this is 3rd revision, they have revised the model already last year where people were again quick to jump the gun and were calling for Sony's head but an exhaustive test from Gamernexus showed that sony reduced the weight and actually improved the thermals. 

So I would wait for the review of new model by Gamernexus before jumping the gun again based on just hearing few things here and there. 

If they moved to 6nm then weight reduction makes sense. They might even ditch liquid metal.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ZooZoo said:

Did they move to 6nm?

That should result in PS5 slim. Not a 500gm lighter machine.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ZooZoo said:

Agreed, however such videos take a lot of time to make even for nexus. By then we get experts like Austin pointing a heat gun at the exhaust and coming to conclusions ?

8 hours ago, Kumar123 said:

So apparently, the new PS5 model weighs 500g less than the launch model? 

The new model Disc PS5 now weights what the Digital PS5 did at launch. 

Launch: Disc: 4.5kg / Digital: 3.9kg

2021 Revision: Disc: 4.2kg / Digital: 3.6kg

2022 Revision: Disc: 3.9kg / Digital: 3.4kg

Less material with a price bump. 

• Like 1

You are right. I take my words back. 

I had wrongly assumed the lower weight was due to a smaller heatsink.

But tech sites indeed say Sony has moved to a 6nm processor, which is most likely the reason for the reduced weight for the newer versions- CFI-1202A for the disc version and CFI-1202B for the digital version 

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2022/08/sony-launches-lighter-ps5-model-for-second-straight-year/

Edited by Legacy Gamer
Corrected words

13 minutes ago, Walker said:

I think the introduction of the 6nm processor will also lead to less power consumption.

A more attractive proposition for energy conscious people like me.

Edited by Legacy Gamer
Corrected words

19 minutes ago, roun90 said:

Is there a PlayStation Showcase going to happen soon? If so, when? I keep hearing about it in Facebook.

Nothing official yet. There are rumours and reports of one happening in September.

I'm sure there'll be a State Of Play before GoW: R releases, but a full-blown showcase, my guess is it'll happen in December, around TGA.