The Playstation 5 thread

6 hours ago, playstationdude said:

Amazon ships the box directly, without any cardboard box. Did the same for the series X and ps5 i ordered with them

Flipkart used a carton

My PS5 from Amazon arrived with an outer cardboard box. XSX arrived without cardboard box, and the consoles box itself was damaged. Luckily the console was fine. 

16 hours ago, CarbonCore said:

I just like to hide the fact that its a PS5 just so it doesn't get nicked while on the way. I'd be uncomfortable with naked white box with giant PS5 photo on it being transported like this.

This. This is my main concern as well.

8 minutes ago, Rey said:

Just received mine, without the outer cardboard box.

Everything is fine though. :wOOtjumpy:

Congratulations! Mine got dispatched today and will arrive tomorrow. Can't wait - even got Ragnarok used copy in advance :wOOtjumpy:

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, gecko89 said:

TIME names its best games of 2022.

GoWR takes top spot, GOTY. 

5 out of 10 are console exclusive to Playstation.

https://time.com/6235588/best-video-games-2022/

GoWR is still top for me but

Quarry beating Elden Ring :rofl:

• Haha 3

Sony is lying when it says that hdmi 2.1 is a must for HFR and VRR on PS5 

I have older LG oled with hdmi 2.0 with 120hz panel. In GoWR, when I turn on HFR, framerate jumps up into 80-90fps level smoothness but colors are odd. Then, I turned off HDR in TV settings and all looks great. 

So, 144hz monitors with hdmi 2.0 should work with PS5 HFR right?

On 11/28/2022 at 5:09 PM, bippukt said:

Congratulations! Mine got dispatched today and will arrive tomorrow. Can't wait - even got Ragnarok used copy in advance :wOOtjumpy:

My PS5 arrived today. It came inside an Amazon box, and even the box wasn't dented. My XSX had also come in a box.

Thanks to @rushab oswalfor the stock tip and for the Ragnarok disc:hi2:

• Like 3

4 hours ago, 0verlord said:

Sony is lying when it says that hdmi 2.1 is a must for HFR and VRR on PS5 

I have older LG oled with hdmi 2.0 with 120hz panel. In GoWR, when I turn on HFR, framerate jumps up into 80-90fps level smoothness but colors are odd. Then, I turned off HDR in TV settings and all looks great. 

So, 144hz monitors with hdmi 2.0 should work with PS5 HFR right?

HDMI 2.1 is needed for 4k with VRR to work correctly. Afaik - if you are running at 1440p with a monitor (which is what I am assuming you are referring to), it shouldnt really matter.

When you force run a game at 4k with HDMI 2.0, its likely to be bandwidth constrained resulting the in color degradation that you are seeing.

4 hours ago, 0verlord said:

Then, I turned off HDR in TV settings and all looks great. 

18 minutes ago, l33tmaniac said:

When you force run a game at 4k with HDMI 2.0, its likely to be bandwidth constrained resulting the in color degradation that you are seeing.

Correct. 
Since day 1, PS5 has had this bandwidth limitation and it’s likely not something that can be fixed with a software patch. 

The HDR looks bad in 120hz mode 

because of this limitation, and is defaulted to 4:2:2 instead of 4:4:4 (RGB). 

This Rtings article on chroma subsampling is a great read and it explains how this affects PCs the most and TVs the least. 

Edited by Vamos

2 hours ago, l33tmaniac said:

HDMI 2.1 is needed for 4k with VRR to work correctly. Afaik - if you are running at 1440p with a monitor (which is what I am assuming you are referring to), it shouldnt really matter.

2 hours ago, Vamos said:

Correct. 
Since day 1, PS5 has had this bandwidth limitation and it’s likely not something that can be fixed with a software patch. 

The HDR looks bad in 120hz mode 

because of this limitation, and is defaulted to 4:2:2 instead of 4:4:4 (RGB). 

This Rtings article on chroma subsampling is a great read and it explains how this affects PCs the most and TVs the least. 

I found that VRR won’t work on my TV but 120hz HFR option will work if games support it even if my TV is hdmi 2.0. 

which means many 120hz HFR mode in games should technically work with hdmi 2.0 albeit without VRR which is the main thing gated behind hdmi 2.1 right?

output of my ps5 is set to 4k

XSX supports 1080p120hz and with VRR in many games with hdmi 2.0 without any issues

Edited by 0verlord

42 minutes ago, 0verlord said:

I found that VRR won’t work on my TV but 120hz HFR option will work if games support it even if my TV is hdmi 2.0. 

which means many 120hz HFR mode in games should technically work with hdmi 2.0 albeit without VRR which is the main thing gated behind hdmi 2.1 right?

output of my ps5 is set to 4k

XSX supports 1080p120hz and with VRR in many games with hdmi 2.0 without any issues

Basically what @Vamos said. High frame rate at low res takes lesser bandwidth. 120Hz for 1080p can be done on HDMI 2.0 easily.

The HDMI 2.1 spec is for high frame rate high res output. Tbh - the high frame rate mode on Ragnarok seems like a bug cos the output is compromised. So Sony is not actually locking anything by mandating HDMI 2.1 requirement - merely preventing a subpar experience.

• 3 weeks later...