The Playstation 5 thread

13 hours ago, Mr. Comingle said:

They've been pretty successful at culling the weak segments. They've reduced budgets for the underperforming business where they are making minimal profits. So, most of their money goes to their camera sensor, gaming, movies and insurance all of which are doing pretty well afaik. 

And music 

Because PS5 games are designed to take advantage of the console’s ultra high-speed SSD, PS5 titles can’t be played from USB extended storage. PS5 titles also cannot be directly downloaded to USB extended storage. However, games that you transfer or copy back to internal storage will automatically update when applicable. In addition, you can select which game modes you want to install (such as campaign or multiplayer) for select titles that support the option.

As previously announced, the PS5 console will support storage expansion via M.2 drives in the future. We’re currently working on this feature and will keep you posted with any updates on PlayStation Blog.

Thoughts? I dunno why its taking so long for M.2 Support? Something fishy?

Edited by rushaboswal
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, rushaboswal said:

My best guess - they are trying to resolve some heating issues and it’s still possibly in testing stages. 

This update further proves they are not ready yet and we may not see it anytime soon. 

30 minutes ago, rushaboswal said:

Still testing currently available SSDs, I suppose. Nothing fishy

20 minutes ago, VamosReva said:

My best guess - they are trying to resolve some heating issues and it’s still possibly in testing stages. 

This update further proves they are not ready yet and we may not see it anytime soon. 

Isn't part of the heat sink already covering the SSD slot as well? 

9 minutes ago, WhatsInTheName said:

Isn't part of the heat sink already covering the SSD slot as well? 

No but the airflow profile is such that it passes over the slot. You'll still need to use your own SSD heatsink, which most PCIE 4.0 nvme sticks come with.

37 minutes ago, Snake said:

Still testing currently available SSDs, I suppose. Nothing fishy

Guess too much negativity around sony ?

16 minutes ago, KnackChap said:

Expecting forbidden west gameplay reveal soon. 

Seems like it. Free for ps plus now with Fortnite. Looks like they are creating talk around it and then will come with a reveal. I'm still wondering what would they improve over the already good looking combat ?

21 minutes ago, CarbonCore said:

No but the airflow profile is such that it passes over the slot. You'll still need to use your own SSD heatsink, which most PCIE 4.0 nvme sticks come with.

but then that adds to the size of the SSD. Is the groove in the PS5 deep enough for the SSD + heatsink cover? 

1 hour ago, WhatsInTheName said:

but then that adds to the size of the SSD. Is the groove in the PS5 deep enough for the SSD + heatsink cover? 

There is space in it. Not enough for the thickest ones out there but most should fit, like the Aorus ones..

Gigabyte-Aorus-NVMe-Gen-4-SSD-angle.jpg

7 minutes ago, CarbonCore said:

There is space in it. Not enough for the thickest ones out there but most should fit, like the Aorus ones..

that's a relief. maybe, they are finalizing design of custom heatsink covers which would gel with the PS5 airflow. All SSDs would be coming in standard sizes, I suppose. So, its just a matter of the proper cover.