The Playstation 5 thread

4 minutes ago, hsk_colossus said:

Seagate confirms first PS5 compatible SSD - Firecuda 530 (500GB - $140, 1TB - $240, 2TB - $490, 4TB - $950)

https://www.finder.com.au/seagate-firecuda-530-playstation-5

Fantastic. 

Nearly $60 cheaper than MS proprietary card for 1 TB... 

Oh, it's 500 GB..  Same price :thumbdown:

Very expensive. 

Edited by Vamos

15 minutes ago, hsk_colossus said:

Seagate confirms first PS5 compatible SSD - Firecuda 530 (500GB - $140, 1TB - $240, 2TB - $490, 4TB - $950)

10 minutes ago, Vamos said:

Fantastic. 

Very expensive. 

And with heat sink is extra 20$ for 500GB and 1TB model, 50$ for 2TB and 5TB model. 

That said, maybe other manufacturers can keep the price somewhat lower, thankfully Seagate isn't the only vendor for SSD in PS's case. 

Edited by gecko89
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, hsk_colossus said:

Bigger scam than MS :rofl: Half console price :doh:

14 minutes ago, Assassins Creed said:

Gen 4 drive, 3x faster than the popat drive in SX. But considering its a standard drive, it'll come down in price. Heck the one I have in my PC already costs around 11k for 1TB.

• Like 1

Thank god we have kraken on our side. Else these third parties would have ridden the popularity of the console and raked in millions. 

Just imagine their sales with 10 m systems sold, and the console touted to overthrow the mighty ps2. 

Looks like a lot of thought was put in behind designing this beast of a machine. 

Ps- we still have 650+ gigs free on the system. Thank heavens they didn't launch a 512 gigs version 

Edited by radicaldude

1 minute ago, radicaldude said:

Thank god we have kraken on our side. Else these third parties would have ridden the popularity of the console and raked in millions. 

Just imagine their sales with 10 m systems sold, and the console touted to overthrow the mighty ps2. 

Looks like a lot of thought was put in behind designing this beast of a machine. 

Ps- we still have 800+ gigs free on the system. Thank heavens they didn't launch a 512 gigs version 

PS5 only has approximately 670 gigs free.

3 minutes ago, koolkunz said:

The previous version of this drive sells for 17.5k on Amazon for 1 TB:

Seagate FireCuda 520 1TB Performance Internal Solid State Drive SSD PCIe Gen4 x4 NVMe 1.3 for Gaming PC Gaming Laptop Desktop (ZP1000GM3A002) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07ZZLPJTX/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_Y74KM5NXBET8S1SM9KG4?psc=1

Firecuda is expensive brand anyway. You can get Corsair or Aorus drives for 14k (11k during sale) for same speed.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, koolkunz said:

PS5 only has approximately 670 gigs free.

Avg ps5 game size is around 40 gigs. Still a lot of space would remain even after installing 10 full sized titles. 

I don't think less storage would be an issue. 

Edited by radicaldude

Best and most practical solution (like Mark Cerny suggested) is to buy a 2 TB HDD and use it for PS4 games. There’s barely any difference in load times (unless optimized). 

And if needed, PS5 games can be stored in that. 

There is no need to waste the expensive SSD space for PS4 games. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, radicaldude said:

Avg ps5 game size is around 40 gigs. Still a lot of space would remain even after installing 10 full sized titles. 

I don't think how less storage would be an issue. 

Agreed. And with the PS5 I'm making it a point to buy physical, at least the single player ones. 95% of my games were digital last gen. I'll only buy games like Fifa/BF/indies digitally. Available space should be more than sufficient in my case

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CarbonCore said:

Gen 4 drive, 3x faster than the popat drive in SX. But considering its a standard drive, it'll come down in price. Heck the one I have in my PC already costs around 11k for 1TB.

Ohh then its fine ,its cheaper infact .

If anyone from sony is reading this please increase the price .

8 minutes ago, CarbonCore said:

Firecuda is expensive brand anyway. You can get Corsair or Aorus drives for 14k (11k during sale) for same speed.

But its not confirmed if it will support Gen 4 or Gen 3 ? Last year had bought the Samsung NVMe I think it was Gen 3 for 11K and cancelled it..

Do you guys actually ever fall short on space ? 

I have a min. of 4-5 games installed at any given point in time with screenshots, recordings, other apps etc. but never felt the need to expand the storage. 

I usually switch between 2-3 games at max. With fiber wifi connections available almost everywhere with unlimited usage redownloading is also not an issue. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Vamos said:

Fantastic. 

Very expensive. 

39 minutes ago, Assassins Creed said:

Isn't the Xbox External SSD similarly priced? $220? Plus, non-proprietary drives serve a dual purpose. That and the fact that these drives are faster than the Xbox ones easily justifies the price.

1 minute ago, SuperT said:

Do you guys actually ever fall short on space ? 

I have a min. of 4-5 games installed at any given point in time with screenshots, recordings, other apps etc. but never felt the need to expand the storage. 

I usually switch between 2-3 games at max. With fiber wifi connections available almost everywhere with unlimited usage redownloading is also not an issue. 

Even third party titles are lesser in size compared to other systems. 

People won't run out of space unless they load *something* they watch on other devices on the ps5 to experience it at 4k 120fps. 

• Like 1