The Playstation 5 thread

2 hours ago, CarbonCore said:

The actual magic happens in the I/O complex and the dedicated hardware for streaming/compression/decompression. Something that's also possible on PC if you have $10,000 RAID card or a 64 core Threadripper (according to Linus).

very interesting. Is there any article/video which explains this in detail?

16 minutes ago, Mr. Comingle said:

Yes. The cerny presentation. 

yeah, but if there was another source which explains like iam 5

That Cerny presentation is now my most favorite technical thing about consoles (along with PS3 cell CPU)

1st listen - didn't understand the nuances

Reverted back to the video after a lot of console wars to understand the 36CUs, high frequency GPU theory - "Rising tide lifts all boats" - Mind = Blown

Now this SSD - I/O Complex is another mind blowing aspect!

What else is hidden in there!!!!!! :wOOtjumpy:

PS5 architecture rules :majesty:

Edited by 0verlord
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, 0verlord said:

yeah, but if there was another source which explains like iam 5

That Cerny presentation is now my most favorite technical thing about consoles (along with PS3 cell CPU)

1st listen - didn't understand the nuances

Reverted back to the video after a lot of console wars to understand the 36CUs, high frequency GPU theory - "Rising tide lifts all boats" - Mind = Blown

Now this SSD - I/O Complex is another mind blowing aspect!

What else is hidden in there!!!!!! :wOOtjumpy:

PS5 architecture rules :majesty:

Whatever this  storage tech is, MS also has something called "VelocityArchitecture" for xbawks, and DirectStorage for PC, so hopefully it will become an industry standard in terms of benefits it offers.

Otherwise only use of this tech will be by Sony first party studios and the 3rd party devs that are in timed exclusivity deals with Sony.

1 hour ago, 0verlord said:

very interesting. Is there any article/video which explains this in detail?

Cerny presentation is pretty straightforward and DF has made videos about it. Or the Linus apology video from 4 min onwards.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, CarbonCore said:

Cerny presentation is pretty straightforward and DF has made videos about it. Or the Linus apology video from 4 min onwards.

This video practically made me an avid subscriber of his channel.

16.52 - Kraken + I/O Complex + SSD .  He says they built a custom de-compressor into the I/O unit capable of handling over 5gbps of Kraken format input data. After decompression, it becomes 8-9gbps. The unit is capable of outputting as much as 22gbps!!!!!!!!!!!! if the data is compressed very well. :wOOtjumpy: PS exclusives can't come soon enough!!!!

31.37 - (my favorite) the GPU

just some bookmarks for mental mas*urbation 

50 minutes ago, CarbonCore said:

dayum, it's UNREAL how powerful and amazing the PS5 architecture is :wOOtjumpy:

Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney recently stated that the upcoming Playstation 5 would feature a storage architecture "far ahead of anything you can buy on anything on PC for any amount of money right now". 

ps5.jpg

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/naughty-dog-ready-at-dawn-and-other-developers-react-to-new-ps5-ssd-by-far-the-biggest-leap-in-my-career

More vids for the interested peeps - 

Tonight, I'll probably be swimming in the PS5 I/O pipeline in my dreams :D

More realizations - 

PS5 has

• this amazing and powerful architecture that can't be replicated even on PC without breaking the bank
  • super immersive dualsense haptics (and also triggers - ok ok)
  • 3d tempest audio - amazing 1st hand experience with RnC Rift Apart and Demon's Souls
  • terrific lineup of industry leading devs and studios for PS exclusives

Tremble in fear, mortal Xbox Series and PC owners

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, 0verlord said:

More realizations - 

PS5 has

• this amazing and powerful architecture that can't be replicated even on PC without breaking the bank
  • super immersive dualsense haptics (and also triggers - ok ok)
  • 3d tempest audio - amazing 1st hand experience with RnC Rift Apart and Demon's Souls
  • terrific lineup of industry leading devs and studios for PS exclusives

Tremble in fear, mortal Xbox Series and PC owners

Only for now, similar technologies will be industry standard in coming year, across xbawks sex and PC

Assuming you're talking about the SSD thing only.

8 minutes ago, PhantomShade said:

Assuming you're talking about the SSD thing only.

no no no

as @CarbonCore said, the SSD spec is just meh. The whole ecosystem built around the PS5 SSD is just revolutionary (not to mention the GPU CU vs frequency choice, another very exciting aspect for PS5)

now the important point to think about is that Xbox Series consoles have their architecture fixed in stone now (a significant step below PS5)

PC has many lower tier configs - a low common denominator

which means Xbox Series and PC (and PS5) next gen 3rd party games will be nice - these games will be held back in design by lowest common denominator HDD using PCs and Xbox Series consoles which don't and can't upgrade to PS5 level architecture

BUT!!!

PS5-only exclusives which can leverage the mighty PS5 architecture will be miles beyond the 3rd party next gen games as there's no low tier PC or Xbox Series console to hold it back!!!!! Faaaaaaaaaaaaaccccccccckk!!

PS5 EXCLUSIVES GONNA BLOW PEOPLE AWAY!!

1 minute ago, 0verlord said:

no no no

as @CarbonCore said, the SSD spec is just meh. The whole ecosystem built around the PS5 SSD is just revolutionary (not to mention the GPU CU vs frequency choice, another very exciting aspect for PS5)

now the important point to think about is that Xbox Series consoles have their architecture fixed in stone now (a significant step below PS5)

which means Xbox Series and PC (and PS5) next gen 3rd party games will be nice - these games will be held back in design by lowest common denominator HDD using PCs and Xbox Series consoles which don't and can't upgrade to PS5 level architecture

BUT!!!

PS5-only exclusives which can leverage the mighty PS5 architecture will be miles beyond the 3rd party next gen games as there's no low tier PC or Xbox Series console to hold it back!!!!! Faaaaaaaaaaaaaccccccccckk!!

this is NOT applicable for cross-gen PS4 and PS5 exclusives like Horizon Forbideen West or God of War Ragnorak (or whatever the name will be) 

11 minutes ago, 0verlord said:

no no no

BUT!!!

? 

5 hours ago, CarbonCore said:

The rated speed of external SSD is meaningless if PS5 handles the I/O for it. Only thing that matters is if its gen 4 or not, because gen 3 will chock the speed at 2.5GB/s. Both 7GB/s and 3.9GB/s perform nearly identical, which means the SSD is treated as just a collection of storage chips and PS5 handles the I/O internally.

I said this before but the actual SSD inside PS5 is nothing special, its just a bunch of Toshiba chips. The actual magic happens in the I/O complex and the dedicated hardware for streaming/compression/decompression. Something that's also possible on PC if you have $10,000 RAID card or a 64 core Threadripper (according to Linus).

2 hours ago, PhantomShade said:

The point is not "memory fused on the board" that pretty much most of these 1 lakh plus costing extra thinzz laptop vendors also do, started by Apple.

What PS5 has is a special "I/O Complex" section on the main APU itself, along with some special sauce firmware and a custom sony flash controller.

MS and Xbawks have something called DirectStorage now, which will be out for PCs with "Gen 4" NVME SSDs in the future, it is similar to what sony is doing i think.

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/directstorage-is-coming-to-pc/

Interesting stuff guys. Thanks for sharing. I don't understand it entirely but it sounds very fascinating, will take out some time to understand these better.