Jump to content

The Playstation 5 thread


Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, Panopticon said:

 

a few (or lot??) dropped frames in a few chaotic scenes vs noticeable improvement in sharpness for the full length of the game - which is better? Last time you said XSX, now PS5. What's the right answer?

 

14 hours ago, AnK said:

I have seen the videos now which I mentioned last time I hadn’t 

 

SX drops frames consistently even outside chaotic scenes 

Like normal stealth action & water intense areas 

 

Though if you have a VRR display these sections will play smoother & you’ll notice drops only in chaotic areas 

 

Otherwise PS5 version should be preferred,softer resolution but no hiccups 

 


 

Just as I said 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, AnK said:

 

 


 

Just as I said 

 

yes. Some consolation for Xbox is that it's brighter. Worst part is that it falls into the 40s in very very few cases. But as you said, people who are sticklers for 'native' pristine 4k (for mental satisfaction) over locked 60 fps would like to go for Xbox. For example, RnC Rift Apart has Fidelity gfx mode with 30-40fps - something which a majority of players preferred due to sheer good looks. Also, I think with higher native resolution, textures scale up and do look much clearer. 

 

Edited by Panopticon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Panopticon said:

 

yes. Some consolation for Xbox is that it's brighter. Worst part is that it falls into the 40s in very very few cases. But as you said, people who are sticklers for 'native' pristine 4k (for mental satisfaction) over locked 60 fps would like to go for Xbox. For example, RnC Rift Apart has Fidelity gfx mode with 30-40fps - something which a majority of players preferred due to sheer good looks. Also, I think with higher native resolution, textures scale up and do look much clearer. 

 

 

They're not comparable scenarios.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well technically speaking you can’t compare an inconsistent frame rate with RnC’s locked 30 or 40 or 60 framerate 

 

See higher framerate is important but the biggest problem than even a lower framerate is inconsistent frame time graph 

 

When a game consistently has an uneven frame time graph jumping up & down it leads to a lot judder & janky screens even in comparison to a locked lower framerate 

 

So the RnC reference isn’t right here coz all it’s modes have a somewhat consistently locked framerate & hence frame time graph 

Edited by AnK
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, AnK said:

Well technically speaking you can’t compare an inconsistent frame rate with RnC’s locked 30 or 40 or 60 framerate 

 

See higher framerate is important but the biggest problem than even a lower framerate is inconsistent frame time graph 

 

When a game consistently has an uneven frame time graph jumping up & down it leads to a lot judder & janky screens even in comparison to a locked lower framerate 

 

So the RnC reference isn’t right here coz all it’s modes have a somewhat consistently locked framerate & hence frame time graph 

 

That and the fact that R&C is 40fps on 120Hz which is not the same as 40fps on 60Hz.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, TRMNTR said:

 

They're not comparable scenarios.

 

10 minutes ago, AnK said:

Well technically speaking you can’t compare an inconsistent frame rate with RnC’s locked 30 or 40 or 60 framerate 

 

See higher framerate is important but the biggest problem than even a lower framerate is inconsistent frame time graph 

 

When a game consistently has an uneven frame time graph jumping up & down it leads to a lot judder & janky screens even in comparison to a locked lower framerate 

 

So the RnC reference isn’t right here coz all it’s modes have a somewhat consistently locked framerate & hence frame time graph 


I am not comparing them on technical grounds

 

I am comparing them on the grounds of ‘mental satisfaction’ that you get from knowing that you are playing the highest fidelity, most ‘native’ 4k pristine image quality, irrespective of framerate

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Panopticon said:

I am not comparing them on technical grounds

 

I am comparing them on the grounds of ‘mental satisfaction’ that you get from knowing that you are playing the highest fidelity, most ‘native’ 4k pristine image quality, irrespective of framerate

 

I don't care much for resolution since I play on a 1440p monitor but to each his own. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, TRMNTR said:

 

I don't care much for resolution since I play on a 1440p monitor but to each his own. :)

I don't even know how people would know if dynamic res was in action in motion. Not like we're gonna pause, zoom 400% and check for artifacts. Especially when upscale tech is so good now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, gecko89 said:

I don't even know how people would know if dynamic res was in action in motion. Not like we're gonna pause, zoom 400% and check for artifacts. Especially when upscale tech is so good now. 


on TVs of 65 inch size or bigger, screen is very large and softness is noticeable 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, gecko89 said:

I don't even know how people would know if dynamic res was in action in motion. Not like we're gonna pause, zoom 400% and check for artifacts. Especially when upscale tech is so good now. 


Checkerboard resolution is not same as Dynamic resolution 

it will be consistently blurrier than Native resolution even when you are marvelling the beauty of a scene 

 

But alas the reviewer up states that it’s a very good implementation of checkerboarding on par with Sony games & SX is a tad lighter than native 4k anyway,standing at 2016p 

 

So it’s not exactly unmatchable quality to begin with 

ppl who own both systems should definitely opt for PS5 version unless you want that Native 4K mental satisfaction 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, TRMNTR said:

 

That and the fact that R&C is 40fps on 120Hz which is not the same as 40fps on 60Hz.

 

Yeah. Initially, I was playing RnC with Performance RT settings but ever since the 40 fps update came, Fidelity mode is my preferred mode because 40 fps at 120 Hz feels incredibly smooth. Perfect balance of both aesthetics and performance

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, iam said:

Not if you have VRR. VRR takes care of fluctuations between 40 and 120 fps. 

Very uncommon spec in the market right now 

Though I still mentioned that in my previous posts

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Panopticon said:

 


I am not comparing them on technical grounds

 

I am comparing them on the grounds of ‘mental satisfaction’ that you get from knowing that you are playing the highest fidelity, most ‘native’ 4k pristine image quality, irrespective of framerate

 

That mental satisfaction is there only if the performance is not getting hampered. I fail to see how can people get that "mental satisfaction" if the actual playing/gameplay part is laggy/not optimum

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Sach4life said:

actual playing/gameplay part is laggy/not optimum


it’s not laggy. Average framerate is around 58.something which means that drops occur during a few seconds and likely to be missed by average people 

 

if you told me that frame drops occur for hours on I’d change my mind

 

anyway this discussion concerns only those with both consoles and dilemma of which version to buy. Others may not bother

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, iam said:

People shouldn't opt for either because both ROTR and Sotr are just mediocre as sh*t. 

But, if you have to play i imagine most would go for ps since it was free on ps plus. 


Should play sotr for ‘mental satisfaction’ of having completed the trilogy 

 

otherwise, one would be on one’s deathbed and regretting that - dammit, why didn’t I complete the trilogy!!

 

people are seriously underestimating the ‘mental satisfaction’ factor. It’s a real thing 

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Panopticon said:


it’s not laggy. Average framerate is around 58.something which means that drops occur during a few seconds and likely to be missed by average people 

 

if you told me that frame drops occur for hours on I’d change my mind

 

anyway this discussion concerns only those with both consoles and dilemma of which version to buy. Others may not bother

 

Wasn't talking specifically about this game. Just commenting on how scenarios can be different and its not a just a simple option between performance vs resolution always.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, gecko89 said:

I don't even know how people would know if dynamic res was in action in motion. Not like we're gonna pause, zoom 400% and check for artifacts. Especially when upscale tech is so good now. 

 

Change in res for dynamic resolution are tough to spot unless there are huge drops in res. However, if the max res is low to begin with, it would be pretty evident.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...