The Playstation 5 thread

I just hope Mortar shell gets free upgrade to PS5 version even on PSplus.

Otherwise no point & it would be proven once & for all that Sony is chindi & doesn’t even deserve to be up against the almighty GamesPass. 

Lawsuit against PlayStation alleges gender discrimination

A former IT security analyst at Sony PlayStation filed a lawsuit against the company in California on Monday, alleging gender discrimination and wrongful termination after speaking up “about discrimination against females” at the gaming giant.

Why it matters: Video game companies are under increased scrutiny for their treatment of women in an industry long dominated by men.

The Sony suit comes amid high-profile state and federal lawsuits against “Call of Duty” maker Activision over alleged sexual misconduct and gender-based pay disparities.

Game companies ranging from Ubisoft and Riot, to indies such as Fullbright, have faced a reckoning over women’s experiences working for them.

Driving the news: The former IT security analyst, Emma Majo, is seeking court approval to expand her effort into a class action on behalf of women who’ve worked for PlayStation in the past few years.

The suit alleges violations of the United States’ Equal Pay Act, saying: “Sony discriminates against female employees, including those who are female and those who identify as female, in compensation and promotion and subjects them to a work culture predominated by men.”

Majo alleges that she was ignored by a manager who only responded to men, was passed over for promotions, and was terminated this year after submitting a gender bias complaint to the company.

She says other women at PlayStation struggled to get promoted at the same rate as men.

Representatives from PlayStation did not immediately respond to questions about the lawsuit.

Majo notes in her suit that Sony says she was terminated because of the closure of an internal department, though she says she wasn’t in that department.

The big picture: Scrutiny of game companies over their treatment of women has been especially intense in California, where Sony’s U.S. headquarters is based.

In 2018, women from LA-based Riot Games filed a class-action suit alleging gender discrimination. Activision is also based in the state.

California’s regulatory environment affords workers and state agencies many avenues for holding companies accountable.

The plaintiff in the PlayStation suit says she plans to invoke California’s Private Attorney General Act, which lets private citizens sue for breach of state labor laws. (Uber was sued via the same law in 2017.)

----------

Sad, if true. Also, with the whole Activision thing going on, this will get all the media-attention, too.

• Sad 3

44 minutes ago, VelivolusDas said:

A former IT security analyst at Sony PlayStation filed a lawsuit against the company in California on Monday, alleging gender discrimination and wrongful termination after speaking up “about discrimination against females” at the gaming giant.

Why it matters: Video game companies are under increased scrutiny for their treatment of women in an industry long dominated by men.

The Sony suit comes amid high-profile state and federal lawsuits against “Call of Duty” maker Activision over alleged sexual misconduct and gender-based pay disparities.

Game companies ranging from Ubisoft and Riot, to indies such as Fullbright, have faced a reckoning over women’s experiences working for them.

Driving the news: The former IT security analyst, Emma Majo, is seeking court approval to expand her effort into a class action on behalf of women who’ve worked for PlayStation in the past few years.

The suit alleges violations of the United States’ Equal Pay Act, saying: “Sony discriminates against female employees, including those who are female and those who identify as female, in compensation and promotion and subjects them to a work culture predominated by men.”

Majo alleges that she was ignored by a manager who only responded to men, was passed over for promotions, and was terminated this year after submitting a gender bias complaint to the company.

She says other women at PlayStation struggled to get promoted at the same rate as men.

Representatives from PlayStation did not immediately respond to questions about the lawsuit.

Majo notes in her suit that Sony says she was terminated because of the closure of an internal department, though she says she wasn’t in that department.

The big picture: Scrutiny of game companies over their treatment of women has been especially intense in California, where Sony’s U.S. headquarters is based.

In 2018, women from LA-based Riot Games filed a class-action suit alleging gender discrimination. Activision is also based in the state.

California’s regulatory environment affords workers and state agencies many avenues for holding companies accountable.

The plaintiff in the PlayStation suit says she plans to invoke California’s Private Attorney General Act, which lets private citizens sue for breach of state labor laws. (Uber was sued via the same law in 2017.)

----------

Sad, if true. Also, with the whole Activision thing going on, this will get all the media-attention, too.

This seems like a US thing. 

I remember Jennifer Lawrence complain about it on Jimmy Kimmel show.

Women getting paid less for same job.

41 minutes ago, Vaibhavp said:

This seems like a US thing. 

I remember Jennifer Lawrence complain about it on Jimmy Kimmel show.

Women getting paid less for same job.

It is not a US only thing. It is prevalent everywhere and is probably not getting flagged enough in India because the percentage of women in high paying salaried jobs such as IT (my domain) is still extremely low.  

Edited by l33tmaniac

@VelivolusDas I would not be surprised if it's true. But, how many complainants are there actually? In Activision's case - the Govt. itself actually studied it, and after researching over some years - they decided to file the case.

Here, I can see only one woman. She claims to speak for all, but no one else bothered to join her in her complaint? In this case I'm not sure, if there is an actual discrimination, or she's simply filing one because she was passed over for a promotion (which can be due to incompetence/low performance as well). I'm at least happy it's not sexual misconduct that's happening.

Anyway, it's sure to blow up big time in this current Activision environment. Maybe it will drive Sony out of California and back to Japan? Back to becoming the company they were in the PS2 days instead of the pseudo-movie game company they are now? Wait and watch I guess.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, l33tmaniac said:

It is not a US only thing. It is prevalent everywhere and is probably not getting flagged enough in India because the percentage of women in high paying salaried jobs such as IT (my domain) is still extremely low.  

In "my" 15+ years of experience with multiple MNCs, I have not come across any such scenario where women were paid less deliberately just because of gender or any other inequality. Infact, they enjoyed certain privileges such as (fixed shifts, early morning hours, no late night calls/weekend changes). Heck, one of the highest paid member in my team was a female Network/Security Architect (without CCIE or anything like that purely on talent basis). Everyone is a 5*rater when it comes to promotion/raise but not when deadline arrives, sh*t hits the fan or a P1 on a Sunday morning 

Not jumping to the conclusion but I have seen many such cases where a female employee played women card and hurled accusations, alleged stories when asked to follow policies, join a project from being on bench from 6 month etc. 

1 hour ago, VelivolusDas said:

----------

Sounds like another brand trying to ruin sony's image, i don't really like these one sided stories, now since unfairness against women is trending you see such news, well i have news for you, in japanese companies, it's not just women, but even the non japanese persons haven been targeted for years regardless of gender, i have had friends working in japanese companies in india tell me stories of inner circles of only japanese, having lunches among themselves, discussing imortant matters among themselves, non japanese have little say in those matters, kansai japanese using their specific kansai dialect to talk bad behind non japanese people, since we mostly learn tokyo dialect, no one understands kansai dialect.

Japanese people are very reserved, don't go by one or 2 people like kogima, ikumi nakamura seeing chummy with westerners, you can bet that cali HQ has Japanese vs non japanese discrimination but since it's US based it will be lower than one based in japan.

This kind of thing seems to be in tech industry more., I've spoken to family members working in banks, insurance sector here in India and they say pay is same for male and females of the same post in their field.

1 minute ago, R1shabh said:

In "my" 15+ years of experience with multiple MNCs, I have not come across any such scenario where women were paid less deliberately just because of gender or any other inequality. Infact, they enjoyed certain privileges such as (fixed shifts, early morning hours, no late night calls/weekend changes). Heck, one of the highest paid member in my team was a female Network/Security Architect (without CCIE or anything like that purely on talent basis). Everyone is a 5*rater when it comes to promotion/raise but not when deadline arrives, sh*t hits the fan or a P1 on a Sunday morning 

Not jumping to the conclusion but I have seen many such cases where a female employee played women card and hurled accusations, alleged stories when asked to follow policies, join a project from being on bench from 6 month etc. 

Seem like particular companies riot where such shiz happens, and yet women still work there instead of quiting, in multiple cases in japanese companies here women employees less qualified in terms of certification and command over japanese have had a chance to go to japan than the qualified japanese peers, each year i hear at least 2 stories based on such from friends working in the industry.

America has a sue culture where it's citizens scam companies into class action lawsuits, i wouldn't be surprised if women there took to using the tactic. When scarlet johanson demanded a senseless $100Mil from marvel we saw even in covid time how she acted greedy instead of being understanding of situation and understanding why black widow was released on streaming platform.

Blindly putting winds to these fires just because of women cards is not gonna help anyone, this was just one case, hell even if 5 come up still would be nothing like activision and riot things where women really derserve justice, the bethesda sh*t was enough, but i wouldn't be shocked if rivals of sony who can't even create new IPs are trying to bring sony's US presence down so that studios too damn amazing like Sony santa monica would get derailed. Cheap corporate tactic to lower sony image in US is what i feel.

Women in america do not represent whole of women around the world, most of of the americans are on meds, having personality crisis, are not even family oriented, are actively doing substance abuse while making creative content for the likes of kids. America is not a role model of the world neither is UK, both nations are full of intoxicated loons who will fight for anything as soon as hitting puberty.

If such things are common in countries like germany or other EU nations where laws of labor are better enforced then have a real case, all the shiz i always see is from US and UK, and the person who is writing it is a heavily tattoed/peirced, nearly intoxicated kotaku/IGN/Gamespot gossip columnist.

42 minutes ago, roun90 said:

@VelivolusDas

Anyway, it's sure to blow up big time in this current Activision environment. Maybe it will drive Sony out of California and back to Japan? Back to becoming the company they were in the PS2 days instead of the pseudo-movie game company they are now? Wait and watch I guess.

This is just an allegation (for now). Nothing has been proven. 

I'm pretty sure they won't shut their shops in California based on this incident. 

10 minutes ago, radicaldude said:

Motorstorm OMFG Yes yes yes :wOOtjumpy::wOOtjumpy::wOOtjumpy:hope it's pacific rift and then appocalypse, Pacific rift was the GOAT of the series, though i enjoyed playing MSA more. Will it get a graphical update ?

2 minutes ago, NitroNeo said:

Seem like particular companies riot where such shiz happens, and yet women still work there instead of quiting, in multiple cases in japanese companies here women employees less qualified in terms of certification and command over japanese have had a chance to go to japan than the qualified japanese peers, each year i hear at least 2 stories based on such from friends working in the industry.

America has a sue culture where it's citizens scam companies into class action lawsuits, i wouldn't be surprised if women there took to using the tactic. When scarlet johanson demanded a senseless $100Mil from marvel we saw even in covid time how she acted greedy instead of being understanding of situation and understanding why black widow was released on streaming platform.

Blindly putting winds to these fires just because of women cards is not gonna help anyone, this was just one case, hell even if 5 come up still would be nothing like activision and riot things where women really derserve justice, the bethesda sh*t was enough, but i wouldn't be shocked if rivals of sony who can't even create new IPs are trying to bring sony's US presence down so that studios too damn amazing like Sony santa monica would get derailed. Cheap corporate tactic to lower sony image in US is what i feel.

Women in america do not represent whole of women around the world, most of of the americans are on meds, having personality crisis, are not even family oriented, are actively doing substance abuse while making creative content for the likes of kids. America is not a role model of the world neither is UK, both nations are full of intoxicated loons who will fight for anything as soon as hitting puberty.

If such things are common in countries like germany or other EU nations where laws of labor are better enforced then have a real case, all the shiz i always see is from US and UK, and the person who is writing it is a heavily tattoed/peirced, nearly intoxicated kotaku/IGN/Gamespot gossip columnist.

I won't judge someone basd on their looks. 

But yes I agree, till investigation reveals discrimination, we should not pass comments on Sony. 

49 minutes ago, l33tmaniac said:

In the area I work in, it's about 60% or more females. And fat paychecks. I feel males get less than females for the same job. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, NitroNeo said:

Damn! This is the most stereotyped post I have ever read in my life. 

Hell Yeah Yes GIF by Adele Morse - Stoned Fox Official