The Playstation 5 thread

10 minutes ago, radicaldude said:

This is just an allegation (for now). Nothing has been proven. 

I'm pretty sure they won't shut their shops in California based on this incident. 

Seems to me like american right wingers trying their pants of to get sony out of US, some really annoying xbots on twitter who badmouth sony all the time, including a god knows why xbot woman who shits on sony all the time, and i don't know why i got her notifications until i blocked her.

America since trump days is heavily pushing american products and now the right heat is so much they can't handle sony users growing in US.

This is not MS fault, the right radicals there are just as loony as gun owners there. See the poor kid in news today who got ganged for being a man of color. Both US and UK are f'ed up so much their first world problems are like something we will 99% never see here, the problem is they are being a diva about it and whining to the rest of the world saying it's our problem as well.

Gender based pay issues are a 1st world thing that i constantly read about only in stories based on US/UK and japan.

Edited by NitroNeo
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, R1shabh said:

"my" 15+ years of experience with multiple MNCs, I have not come across any such scenario where women were paid less deliberately just because of gender or any other inequality

I second this. Been with MNCs all my life, and I have not seen gender being a barrier for payment or career growth. People with negotiation skills will negotiate and do better, regardless of gender. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, NitroNeo said:

When scarlet johanson demanded a senseless $100Mil from marvel we saw even in covid time how she acted greedy instead of being understanding of situation and understanding why black widow was released on streaming platform.

Did you even bother to read about the case at all or did you get that from clickbait twitter headline? ScarJo's contract with Marvel was to get revenue based on theatrical release. That's how she was going to get partly paid for her work. When COVID, Marvel started doing digital releases so she asked Marvel to re-negotiate the contract to include digital release but they didn't get back to her. It was not her "being greedy". It was her asking for what she was owed. 

32 minutes ago, NitroNeo said:

Women in america do not represent whole of women around the world, most of of the americans are on meds, having personality crisis, are not even family oriented, are actively doing substance abuse while making creative content for the likes of kids. America is not a role model of the world neither is UK, both nations are full of intoxicated loons who will fight for anything as soon as hitting puberty.

If such things are common in countries like germany or other EU nations where laws of labor are better enforced then have a real case, all the shiz i always see is from US and UK, and the person who is writing it is a heavily tattoed/peirced, nearly intoxicated kotaku/IGN/Gamespot gossip columnist.

incel-wojak.gif

Edited by dylanjosh
  • Like 7

13 minutes ago, Walker said:

Holy sh*t, some of the half arsed comments :wallbash:

It's just the world we are living in today . You will find loads of 'educated' people around you judging and passing out character certificates to individuals or members of particular sex/caste/locality/religion based on what they heard from few people or something they read on social media . 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Krazyniks said:

It's just the world we are living in today . You will find loads of so-called 'educated' people around you judging and passing out character certificates to individuals or members of particular sex/caste/locality/religion based on what they heard from few people or something they read on social media . 

Fixed 

3 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

In the area I work in, it's about 60% or more females. And fat paychecks. I feel males get less than females for the same job. 

Same for the industry I work in. Its dominated by females, they get promoted more and quicker than the guys. So its other way around as well in certain industries but you don't see guys making a fuss about it.

In the area I work in, it's about 60% or more females. And fat paychecks. I feel males get less than females for the same job. 

I second this. Been with MNCs all my life, and I have not seen gender being a barrier for payment or career growth. People with negotiation skills will negotiate and do better, regardless of gender. 

The gap may not be very evident in your firm, but the gender gap very much exists. My company that has equality as one of it's core values only has 1/3rd of female employees in leadership roles.

You can find more details here: https://www.salesforce.com/company/equality/

There are a lot of factors that contribute to the gender gap including the choice of stream for higher studies, what roles/jobs the society deems as fit for women etc. Even in extremely progressive countries like UK where the government takes a proactive role in addressing this, the gap very much exists even today.

According to an analysis by the Financial Times of official data submitted by employers, the disparity between what men and women earn in the same companies is getting worse in many sectors in the UK. Women were paid 87p for every £1 paid to men in April 2020 — when the government compiled the latest figures. 

Source: https://www.ft.com/content/239c95cc-d34f-43e9-a61e-faa7954277b6

We are probably oblivious to this being men, as it never even occurs to us. I did my bachelors from one of the tier 1 institutes and we had a boy/girl ratio of 10:1 and my stream was one of the better ones. In the team of 10 odd engineers I lead in my company, there is but a single woman. With such low representation, it would not be surprising if they are paid lower than their peers. 

Edited by l33tmaniac
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, l33tmaniac said:

The gap may not be very evident in your firm, but the gender gap very much exists. My company has equality has one of it's core values only has 1/3rd of female employees in leadership roles.

Yes I wanted to say, lots of AnecdoteAndy's in this thread. Lots of studies say it exists, across a wide spectrum of industries. Even after accounting for women going for different jobs and all. 

Edited by dylanjosh
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, l33tmaniac said:

The gap may not be very evident in your firm, but the gender gap very much exists. My company that has equality as one of it's core values only has 1/3rd of female employees in leadership roles.

You can find more details here: https://www.salesforce.com/company/equality/

There are a lot of factors that contribute to the gender gap including the choice of stream for higher studies, what roles/jobs the society deems as fit for women etc. Even in extremely progressive countries like UK where the government takes a proactive role in addressing this, the gap very much exists even today.

We are probably oblivious to this being men, as it never even occurs to us. I did my bachelors from one of the tier 1 institutes and we had a boy/girl ratio of 10:1 and my stream was one of the better ones. In the team of 10 odd engineers I lead in my company, there is but a single woman. With such low representation, it would not be surprising if they are paid lower than their peers. 

7 minutes ago, dylanjosh said:

Yes I wanted to say, lots of AnecdoteAndy's in this thread. Lots of studies say it exists, across a wide spectrum of industries. Even after accounting for women going for different jobs and all. 

I guess it's a sectoral thing. Some sectors will have a higher number vs other. But I've seen a lot of females in leadership positions in the sector I work in - call it anecdote (but all we're posting are anecdotes anyway). 

Our senior leadership positions are dominated by females to the tune of more than 60%. SVPs, Presidents, Directors, Senior Directors etc. 

On any given day, I talk to more females than males internally and externally. 

The company has built a platform for female leaders, and has regular webcasts around it - not just with internal leaders, but external female leaders too. 

I've done and seen a LOT of promotions for both male and female colleagues, and I do sit with regional leadership in Asia, Japan, ANZ etc, and do know for fact that (at least where I work), leaders are exceptionally conscious about maintaining healthy gender diversity. They look for talent, and as long as they find talent, they'll pay the appropriate amount to retain skills. Gender does not play a role. 

Guess I'm lucky that I personally haven't seen such a dramatic difference between genders as I keep on hearing. 

Places where you have mass level of hiring and firing will definitely have issues. Of course, intent, leadership and priorities matter. 

Not saying issues don't exist, but irrespective of gender, the young generation has to be smart enough to get specialized in areas where you can stand out - gender be damned. Try to be a linchpin. 

• Like 3

Gender gap exists, but what's the solution?!

You can't employ a woman just because she's a woman. If they did, it would be reservation and we all know how great that is in India. /s

More women need to choose to get into stem fields by their own volition, which could be encouraged from a young age. 

Meanwhile, and this is only from my personal viewpoint, I had more girls than guys in IT engineering. Yet after getting a job, they either left it for marriage or got married and chose to leave their jobs. I feel the problem is for men in India, being in a job and earning is a necessity whereas for women it's a choice, the ones who break this and proceed do extremely well. 

• Like 1

When it comes to women, I reckon a majority get blindsided due to Simpsons Paradox

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simpson's_paradox

Not saying gender discrimination does not exist. But it's not as prevalent as many assume it to be. There are strict laws enforcing equality all over the world. 

Ps- kindly do read about the paradox posted above and then evaluate. 

6 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

I guess it's a sectoral thing. Some sectors will have a higher number vs other. But I've seen a lot of females in leadership positions in the sector I work in - call it anecdote (but all we're posting are anecdotes anyway). 

Our senior leadership positions are dominated by females to the tune of more than 60%. SVPs, Presidents, Directors, Senior Directors etc. 

On any given day, I talk to more females than males internally and externally. 

The company has built a platform for female leaders, and has regular webcasts around it - not just with internal leaders, but external female leaders too. 

I've done and seen a LOT of promotions for both male and female colleagues, and I do sit with regional leadership in Asia, Japan, ANZ etc, and do know for fact that (at least where I work), leaders are exceptionally conscious about maintaining healthy gender diversity. They look for talent, and as long as they find talent, they'll pay the appropriate amount to retain skills. Gender does not play a role. 

Guess I'm lucky that I personally haven't seen such a dramatic difference between genders as I keep on hearing. 

Places where you have mass level of hiring and firing will definitely have issues. Of course, intent, leadership and priorities matter. 

Not saying issues don't exist, but irrespective of gender, the young generation has to be smart enough to get specialized in areas where you can stand out - gender be damned. Try to be a linchpin. 

I work at a similar firm that takes conscious decision to be more inclusive. It's great that your employer is doing the same. My point was that we cannot generalize our personal experience and assume all sectors operate this way. That's pretty much what I was trying to get to especially since data suggests otherwise.

If we were to check the list of richest folks in the world/CEOs of fortune 500 companies, we will know the reality. It's difficult for the current generation that we have grown up in to even imagine that women had to fight for their right to work/vote all but 50-60 years back in even the so called developed nations.

• Like 1

Just now, l33tmaniac said:

I work at a similar firm that takes conscious decision to be more inclusive. It's great that your employer is doing the same. My point was that we cannot generalize our personal experience and assume all sectors operate this way. That's pretty much what I was trying to get to especially since data suggests otherwise.

If we were to check the list of richest folks in the world/CEOs of fortune 500 companies, we will know the reality. It's difficult for the current generation that we have grown up in to even imagine that women had to fight for their right to work/vote all but 50-60 years back in even the so called developed nations.

Read about Simpsons Paradox. 

Talent/ability also matters. There are many companies with women CEOs as well (the mindset is changing fast.). 

Some women might play the gender card when things don't go their way. It doesn't mean the organisation discriminates against them.