The Playstation 5 thread

17 hours ago, kmkaks said:

I bought a PS4 second hand off olx for 28,000 in 2014, That too with 10 months warranty. Had to travel around 300 kms from Kerala to Tamil Nadu though.

I always buy hardware from olx. Provided it comes with bill, box and warranty. Keep an eye out and you will be surprised with the kind of deals you get.

Damn dude, I was not willing to go 20 kms for a cheap copy of Persona 5R :lol:

17 hours ago, i_rock098 said:

Buying a PS second hand is actually a good idea in terms of the value proposition. Not only do you get the hardware at a cheaper price but also the games are much cheaper by then.

Also what's the status for backward compatibility of PS4 games? Should I keep them so that I can pop my disc into PS5 and play or would that not work and I can safely sell it now.

Sent from my ASUS_I001DE using Tapatalk

Almost all ps4 games will be supported. 

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/07/ps5_backwards_compatibility_can_you_play_ps4_games_on_playstation_5#ps5-backwards-compatibility-can-you-play-ps4-games-on-playstation-5

btw why is it that all these Americans want $400 and $500 as price for something that they will use for 5-6 years, meanwhile they are ok spending $1000 on iPhone that they will upgrade in 2 years anyway?

33 minutes ago, PhantomShade said:

btw why is it that all these Americans want $400 and $500 as price for something that they will use for 5-6 years, meanwhile they are ok spending $1000 on iPhone that they will upgrade in 2 years anyway?

No American spends $1000 on a phone upfront. And most won't spend total of $60 on phone apps in their entire lives. The Switch doesn't really cost $300, it costs $500 with one Mario, one Zelda, one Pokemon and 1 year NSO sub.

39 minutes ago, PhantomShade said:

I think those are two different sets of people

52 minutes ago, HundredProofSam said:

It would be interesting if they tried copying the smartphone + call/data model. Selling PS5 console + PS Plus + PS Now as a monthly plan.

I recall that there is a smartphone style plan for the Xbox console so it is guaranteed that it will come for nextgen too. But It’s much cheaper if you bought the console. 

In any case, it will never come to India as it is a niche market here. 

1 hour ago, PhantomShade said:

Yeah different products (one is purely entertainment and the other is an all in one, every day use and critical for personal and work use) and different set of target markets. Also there are only 2-3 consoles unlike multiple brands with multi price strategy for phones. 

8 hours ago, Mysteryman said:

I recall that there is a smartphone style plan for the Xbox console so it is guaranteed that it will come for nextgen too. But It’s much cheaper if you bought the console. 

In any case, it will never come to India as it is a niche market here. 

You don't need that plan in India anyway since we have no cost emis here

18 hours ago, PhantomShade said:

UK (and I think EU and US as well) have contract plans. People don't spend $1000 very 2 years. They sign contracts where they spend a very minimum amount (Maybe $100-$200) and get locked in with a phone subscriber (Like say Vodafone/Airtel in India). People have to use only that phone service provider for like 5 years or so and their billing comes at a pre-agreed rate. These Service Providers also have plans that cover phone upgrades, so if a new iphone launches, the service provider foots the bill allowing you to upgrade (again paying only a very minimum amount). The pgones are locked to the service provider at a hardware level and you can't switch the call service provider under these plans.

AFAIK this model was even tested in India when the original Iphone first launched (With Reliance providing the contract I believe). But it was very quickly withdrawn when people started rooting the phones here, allowing them to bypass the hardware lock/contract and taking up other Service Providers. So in India, your only choice, if you want "To Keep Up with the Joneses" is to upgrade at $1000 full price every 2 years. Such Rooting services are available in EU/US as well, but contracts are much more seriously enforced over there I believe, so not many people get away with rooting so easily.

9 minutes ago, roun90 said:

UK (and I think EU and US as well) have contract plans. People don't spend $1000 very 2 years. They sign contracts where they spend a very minimum amount (Maybe $100-$200) and get locked in with a phone subscriber (Like say Vodafone/Airtel in India). People have to use only that phone service provider for like 5 years or so and their billing comes at a pre-agreed rate. These Service Providers also have plans that cover phone upgrades, so if a new iphone launches, the service provider foots the bill allowing you to upgrade (again paying only a very minimum amount). The pgones are locked to the service provider at a hardware level and you can't switch the call service provider under these plans.

AFAIK this model was even tested in India when the original Iphone first launched (With Reliance providing the contract I believe). But it was very quickly withdrawn when people started rooting the phones here, allowing them to bypass the hardware lock/contract and taking up other Service Providers. So in India, your only choice, if you want "To Keep Up with the Joneses" is to upgrade at $1000 full price every 2 years. Such Rooting services are available in EU/US as well, but contracts are much more seriously enforced over there I believe, so not many people get away with rooting so easily.

If i am not wrong, contract plans are largely a thing of the past in US. They are still there, but not as widely used as before.

Welp the presentation was pointless. And what was with the corridor styled  5 seconds loading screen in astrobot LOL

14 minutes ago, KnackChap said:

EdI-oLCU4AEUKfO.jpeg

Looks majestic but would have preferred colored face buttons