The Xbox Series X|S thread

1 minute ago, HundredProofSam said:

They built Xbox on the strengths of outside studios. Look at games like Bioshock 1, Mass Effect. These were Xbox 369 system sellers. And there’s nothing wrong with that. In fact, after investing in first part is when the downward trend in first party games started.

If Game Pass is their long term strategy, they would have been much better off using that $7.5 billion on timed exclusivity the way Sony and Epic Games do. They would get bragging rights on a lot more games.

Gamepass is Microsofts long term long term strategy. That’s not a if ..

Recent acquisition have been promising.. they didn’t f**k up minecraft .. rare is back after almost shutting down  ... gears 5 was good ... so let’s see what future holds 

18 minutes ago, HundredProofSam said:

They built Xbox on the strengths of outside studios. Look at games like Bioshock 1, Mass Effect. These were Xbox 360 system sellers. And there’s nothing wrong with that. In fact, after investing in first part is when the downward trend in first party games started.

If Game Pass is their long term strategy, they would have been much better off using that $7.5 billion on timed exclusivity the way Sony and Epic Games do. They would get bragging rights on a lot more games.

I think we will know soon during XO20 or the game awards where they will definitely show  off a new unannounced  Bethesda game . 

21 minutes ago, WhiteWolf said:

ES new flagship MS IP..Halo ko bhool jao..  :P

Hope they dont give Doom the Craig infinite visual treatment. On the plus side, they might add Doom elements to Halo which will be awesome, although gameplay wise I found infinite to look pretty fast paced and Doom- ish anyway.

Just now, playstationdude said:

Hope they dont give Doom the Craig infinite visual treatment. On the plus side, they might add Doom elements to Halo which will be awesome, although gameplay wise I found infinite to look pretty fast paced and Doom- ish anyway.

Doom is  with Id and using Id Tech

Chances are Halo end up using Id tech 7 in future

41 minutes ago, WhiteWolf said:

ES new flagship MS IP..Halo ko bhool jao..  :P

Lol. 100Million + active community members. Half of them didn't bother to get an Xbox last gen :rofl:

Let's hope they don't pour another 500Million into Elder scrolls and turn that into Craigville. 

2 hours ago, HundredProofSam said:

They built Xbox on the strengths of outside studios. Look at games like Bioshock 1, Mass Effect. These were Xbox 360 system sellers. And there’s nothing wrong with that. In fact, after investing in first part is when the downward trend in first party games started.

No, they used that strategy with X360 Gen. It went great at first, esp as no 3rd party dev properly coded for PS3. But as soon as Sony got out it's major exclusives, the trend reversed and ultimately MS ended the gen still losing + no value added at all.

Adding studio or new IP = Direct increase to value of company

Buying Timed Exclusive = Bragging Right, but a hope that it improves sales. There is no valuation increase. Not to mention, you do timed exclusives 2+ times, everyone calls you out on your "Full Exclusive" Ad BS

In Gamepass, if they bought Timed Exclusives, they would lose huge upfront money, people might/might not just play on trial account and then it would leave the system anyway. Not to mention, you cannot dictate the type of game you want if it's just a timed exclusives

That said, buying studios - especially huge ones directly, is also risky. MS is now responsible for all their Assets, Liabilities and Debts. IPs are Assets, nothing more - just like offices, employees etc. It's up to MS to turn those Assets into Profits.

MS Marketing has a field day now, because it's free. There is no cost to keep tweeting "We Have Bought Bethesda", "We have 23 Studios" "ES is Exclusive" and all such stuff. But whether they can manage to keep up the quality in-house, that's the question.

After all, changing owner is not just a logo change. It also involves massive changes in work culture (How MS employees work will be different than how Zenimax Employees used to Work), Targets and Goals will be different, there will be massive lay-offs and redundancies (2 people cannot be in same post etc.) and tons more. There are also chances that major old Zenimax key decision-makers will just take the money and leave the business (Like what happened when EA used to take over studios etc.) It will be tons of problems and work, and all of this will have to be sorted out before the 1st game comes out - if it is to be successful. Let's see if MS is able to manage it.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, HundredProofSam said:

They are following the Netflix playbook. The only way Game Pass works and is profitable in the long term is if they have mostly original content. I'm sure they're losing money on all third party content paying rent to the developers. If you actually think of Game Pass as Netflix for games from a business model perspective, the acquisition makes total sense.

Xbox consoles are like reference TVs recommended by Netflix to view their content. Game Pass with a bunch of original and exclusive content is the endgame.

Good point. But a diversity of games and types of games will be key. Apparently there were people who just used to watch Friends on Netflix over and over again. But Netflix continues to spend more on original content every year than the previous. Microsoft will have to do the same. This model has never been done for games so I don't know if this works out in the long run. But it's great to see Microsoft put real dollars behind this strategy. If it works, there's a good chance, Xcloud comes to Playstation.

2 hours ago, Gautam said:

Good point. But a diversity of games and types of games will be key. Apparently there were people who just used to watch Friends on Netflix over and over again. But Netflix continues to spend more on original content every year than the previous. Microsoft will have to do the same. This model has never been done for games so I don't know if this works out in the long run. But it's great to see Microsoft put real dollars behind this strategy. If it works, there's a good chance, Xcloud comes to Playstation.

Gamepass is good enough for casual gamers who just play a few select titles every year like FIFA/madden/halo etc and don't care about the rest.  I have hardly purchased a game this year, and play mostly ps+ titles.  Except for the upcoming cyberpunk game, I don't think there's any game I feel like buying in the coming months. I'm sure many like me would prefer something like gamepass for everyday gaming and buy a game only once in a while.

Edited by Ne0

6 hours ago, Ne0 said:

Gamepass is good enough for casual gamers who just play a few select titles every year like FIFA/madden/halo etc and don't care about the rest.  I have hardly purchased a game this year, and play mostly ps+ titles.  Except for the upcoming cyberpunk game, I don't think there's any game I feel like buying in the coming months. I'm sure many like me would prefer something like gamepass for everyday gaming and buy a game only once in a while.

It's actually a bad deal for people just playing fifa or cod the whole year. Why subscribe and pay monthly fee when you can just buy the game upfront. It comes out a lot cheaper. 

4 minutes ago, KnackChap said:

It's actually a bad deal for people just playing fifa or cod the whole year. Why subscribe and pay monthly fee when you can just buy the game upfront. It comes out a lot cheaper. 

How ? Isn't it just $1 for gamepass ?

You can't play CoD or FIFA on GamePass. Only previous FIFA games you can play.

EA Play is a basic version on GP which gives you 10 hours access for new games. More than that you have to buy the game or wait for the game to enter vault which is unlimited access.

$1 for GamePass is when you sign up. You can get 2 months if you turn on the recurring option. 3 during the sale. After that, you pay a monthly price of $10 or wait for next $1 sale which MS does often or make another profile and buy for a dollar again. 

If you are an Xbox user and pay for XBL service you can stack as much as possible then upgrade to GamePass Ultimate for $1. It will give you 1:1 duration of your XBL. 

Edited by Joe Cool

Finally took the decision ... going for Xbox at launch ... bought gamepass for 7.5k for 3 years with a friend ... so it comes to  3.7k each. That will be enough for 3 years . Will buy ps5 pro in 2023 ?... now just hope that I get xbx console at launch .. 

• Like 1