The Xbox Series X|S thread

13 hours ago, Keyofx said:

A lot of it is management debt. Mattrick had a different vision for the division than Spencer does, but it takes time to course correct in large organizations. Any executive will get 3 to 5 years to show results, which Spencer seems to be doing.

This is true. I only got one a couple of years ago when I picked up on how good a deal Game Pass was. I was PS4-only till then.

also, the direction of the company is way different than it was when x360 launched.  MS now makes most of its revenue from office subs and azure subs, of course there's windows as well but the revenue is just not the same as it was before.  The world is moving away from desktop/laptop computing to mobile/cloud computing and xbox is kind of like a legacy device in the new "cloud-first/mobile-first" world.  I think its a long term bet that MS is hedging in gaming, they're building a gaming platform for the future, where MS would only be the platform provider (like azure), the content creators would be the third party devs and the consumption could be via any device like mobile phone/desktop/laptop/console etc.  

Of course, just my personal views.  I could be massively wrong :P

• Like 1

14 hours ago, gecko89 said:

MS spent a lot on Halo Infinite, apparently the budget is 500Million USD, that's half a billion dollars for one game, we all witnessed how that turned out.

Hopefully when it resurfaces, it looks and plays like the game with the biggest budget of all time.

They should move Halo series to some other developer from Bethesda, that will be a nice change also.

Lets see what happens.

• Like 1

We also expect Xbox Series X to be available again soon. For more details on availability in your market, please contact your local retailers directly.

However there’s more to the Xbox Series X’s lack of availability in India. Offline retailers, which make up the majority of Indian game stores, only got 10 percent of launch day Xbox Series X and S stock and roughly the same allocation of fresh shipments for restock that have landed earlier this week sources in the supply chain tell us. Some retailers allege that Microsoft hasn’t even given them what was committed for launch either.

https://themakoreactor.com/news/xbox-series-x-restock-india-sold-out-amazon-flipkart-price-release-date-microsoft-2021/19366/

57 minutes ago, HundredProofSam said:

A lot of people may not know, but IVG began as an Xbox only forum and then grew to other platforms.

The preference for PlayStation here over Xbox is just a general reflection of the way Indian consumers generally perceive and prefer game consoles. To this day, people in India who don’t know gaming refer to a console as a playstation. Like how all portable cassette players were called Walkman. Our country has a fascination with Sony. And so there is already an advantage that PlayStation has. On top of that, PS has been in india longer, and while MS has done a great job with XSX|S, you can bet that in the long term, Sony will support PS5 in India way better and way more comprehensively than Microsoft will the XSX|S (unless something dramatic changes on the Microsoft front or if Game Pass/xCloud adoption skyrockets)

But even if you look at the numbers, PlayStation does sell a LOT more than Xbox in India, and the software numbers are even more skewed than the hardware numbers. Distributors who bring in major third party games here (Ubi, Activision, etc) bring them in a ratio of 100:1 (PS4:X1).

So if PS4 games are outselling Xbox One games by 100:1, it’s only obvious that this disparity will be reflected online in communities like IVG.

STFU SONY PONY!!!!

• Haha 2

anyone looking to buy XSS it is available at sony mony in mumbai.

when asked the sales guy about XSX he said its the same as XSS and only does not have a disc drive!!. I said right! and left.

Edited by armaan
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, HundredProofSam said:

The preference for PlayStation here over Xbox is just a general reflection of the way Indian consumers generally perceive and prefer game consoles. To this day, people in India who don’t know gaming refer to a console as a playstation. Like how all portable cassette players were called Walkman. Our country has a fascination with Sony. 

I would say a great deal of this has to do with the legacy of the PS2. I don't think the Original Xbox was ever here at all. Meanwhile after the clone NES/SNES times, the only console I've ever seen in the country is the PS2. People who came from abroad brought PS2, which was a huge attraction. All console cybercafes, even in interior places and villages had PS2. PS2 was modded pretty fast, so tons of people just got it and brought pirated games at 50 Rs/100 Rs from railway station areas. First Mover Advantage + Widespread availability + Ability to play stuff at cheap cost (literally free or very less due to piracy = consoles meaning Playstation here)

Over time, the meaning of console here changed to simply Console = Playstation. Just like Mineral Water = Bisleri. The fact that the PSP continued this trend helped a lot as well. AFAIK people started hearing about Xboxes here only during the time of 360, but by then the glamor of PS had already long set in.

It's changed now though. Now, people know about both Playstation and Xbox, and that means MS is doing it's job here.

1 hour ago, roun90 said:

I would say a great deal of this has to do with the legacy of the PS2. I don't think the Original Xbox was ever here at all. Meanwhile after the clone NES/SNES times, the only console I've ever seen in the country is the PS2. People who came from abroad brought PS2, which was a huge attraction. All console cybercafes, even in interior places and villages had PS2. PS2 was modded pretty fast, so tons of people just got it and brought pirated games at 50 Rs/100 Rs from railway station areas. First Mover Advantage + Widespread availability + Ability to play stuff at cheap cost (literally free or very less due to piracy = consoles meaning Playstation here)

Over time, the meaning of console here changed to simply Console = Playstation. Just like Mineral Water = Bisleri. The fact that the PSP continued this trend helped a lot as well. AFAIK people started hearing about Xboxes here only during the time of 360, but by then the glamor of PS had already long set in.

It's changed now though. Now, people know about both Playstation and Xbox, and that means MS is doing it's job here.

yeah but MS did a decent job of launching x360.  My first console was x360 and my first console game was Gears Of War.  Both will always have a special place in my heart.  X360/PS3 generation had some really good games going for it.  It was also the generation where I played the maximum games.  

Do agree that xbox is now gaining ground in India, especially amongst the next generation born on or after 2k, (maybe coz they've grown up watching all western tv shows and stuff), for them gaming = xbox.

1 hour ago, CarbonCore said:

The forum was extremely flipped in favor of Xbox from 2006 to 2008 I think. Only when KZ2 came out and PS3 started to turn things around with Slim, UC2 etc did it flip in favor of Sony.

That's when I joined IVG and it was just beginning of PS comeback.  Xbots started disappearing yearly. So many legends just quit ivg and joined GAF. Then complained even GAF is biased. Then complained resetera is biased. Now must be enjoying the empty forum of xbox era :lol: