The Xbox Series X|S thread

23 hours ago, HundredProofSam said:

Sony support

It’s all Sony India, which probably doesn’t have anyone on their team who can gauge interest for stuff like this. Microsoft doesn’t either by the way, which is why they just being in any random limited edition that no one will buy (like Sea of Thieves). Probably just a directive from regional HQ. 

Any idea if both the divisions are now being managed out of the Singapore or Dubai hub?

22 hours ago, AnK said:

360 Launch :- 1999-2249 

Ps3 Launch:- 2499-2799

PS4/XBone Launch:- 3499

PS4Pro Launch:- 3999

PS5 Launch:- 4999

(Didn’t count OneX or SeriesX cos they have no games & the old trio Gears/Halo/Forza are on GP now) 

anyone who is cribbing about price rise in AAA now!!! at this time ignoring the trend over the generation is obviously ignorant to the obvious 

(or is an Xbot promoting GamesPass)

This has more to do with the USD-INR conversion rate yes? Game prices have been $60 for a couple of generation now, if I'm not wrong. 

14 minutes ago, Ethan_Hunt said:

Absolutely. 

17 minutes ago, hsk_colossus said:

Yup

17 minutes ago, adity said:

Yes

:thumbsup: have been loading up on 300-500 rs games since past 2 days now. btw. if someone doesnt have Witcher 3 yet, its on sale - Rs 750 for the GOTY edition. And it will get upgraded to next gen in (hopefully) 2021 for free. 

Look, the hardware is incredibly complex now. I am sure no one wants to play 2.5D sidescrollers all the time on the PS5, right.

To utilize the power of the hardware fully, games need to be sophisticated, and for this reason, they are extremely expensive (to produce). So the price rise is totally justified. Though I feel they should bring in regional pricing, but hey that's a decision best left to them.

If someone feels 5k price is too steep, he/she has two choices

1) Dont get the game at launch

2) Stick to indie titles. They are cheaper and some of them are extremely engrossing.

3 minutes ago, WhatsInTheName said:

:thumbsup: have been loading up on 300-500 rs games since past 2 days now. btw. if someone doesnt have Witcher 3 yet, its on sale - Rs 750 for the GOTY edition. And it will get upgraded to next gen in (hopefully) 2021 for free. 

Yep, if you haven't played any of those games, it's a steal deal in that price range. Extremely atmospheric and just the overall entertainment value of both the titles are great. Heck, I loved Exodus too; the ending was absolutely amazing. 

1 minute ago, adity said:

The game expensive reasoning is pretty bullshit. The industry keeps growing at a phenomenal rate and so do game companies' profits. It's only a matter of increasing profits even more. Which isn't wrong but let's not try and justify game companies fleecing more money out of our pockets. 

Well, even Cory Barlog has given a similar reasoning...

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/god-of-war-director-cory-barlog-says-games-need-to-go-up-in-price/

Making sophisticated games on sophisticated hardware will be expensive, is pretty logical. These days games cost as much as (if not more) a big budget hollywood movie.

5 minutes ago, radicaldude said:

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/god-of-war-director-cory-barlog-says-games-need-to-go-up-in-price/

Making sophisticated games on sophisticated hardware will be expensive, is pretty logical. These days games cost as much as (if not more) a big budget hollywood movie.

All these people can BS with words but numbers don't lie!

Look at all these Gaming companies Financials, especially Sony's.

Edited by kmkaks
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, kmkaks said:

They have given you more than $1000 worth of hardware performance in a $500 device. So I guess they want to earn via software sales.

Edited by radicaldude

28 minutes ago, radicaldude said:

"We believe game software’s price should be determined by how much money consumers are willing to pay for the quality, not by how much money we spend to make that game"

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-11-09/game-prices-go-up-to-70-the-first-increase-in-15-years

Thats just how free market works. They will say or do anything to justify price increase if customers continue to pay. We don't know how they're using the money so can't whether its actually going to making the games or to large executive bonuses. 

Edited by dylanjosh

42 minutes ago, kmkaks said:

That's mostly from 3rd parties and 30% cut from MTX. First parties only make like 15-20% of the software money, and yet they continue to not put MTX in SP games like Ubisoft. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AnK said:

Common dude, no one in their right minds would go to 'reliance' to buy games. This game is higlighted on big screens as a gamepass included game. Do you consider a 7 or 8 out of 10 game and a turn based strategy game as a crap? 

But yea, crap games will also get gold rates:- 

https://www.playstation.com/en-in/games/godfall/

On the subject of pricing, this is apparently a flyer from Toy 'R' Us from the 90's for an SNES catalogue:

CIF9vLfUz2geoCKabr-Tc7VqJ3vdU3KD6s-zl7Zb

Now imagine a title like NBA Hang Time costing $70 back in those days, adjusting it for inflation now mount to a ludicrous amount. Now an NBA title with modern day visuals & gameplay still costs $60. Mind you, $60/70 was by no means a small amount even for the 80's & 90's. In India, I don't think we even had most of these major consoles being officially released back then, leave alone these games at these prices. I remember those knock off Famicom models being sold with 500 in 1 or  some other variation of the game combination cartridges at around Rs.300-500/- (per cartridge) if memory serves. 

That's a trip down memory lane. Personally, I would get my arse whooped if I would have asked my parents for one single game priced at $70 equivalent here in India in the 90's. This was a luxury item, but I was able to play these games from thanks to those arcade machines and knock off models of NES. 

We should be thankful that we now have a global presence enough to get these larger consoles in India and with the amount of production values, effort, time, budget etc. being put into games these days, $60-$70 should feel like a fair price. I'm not saying every title would justify it, but it's up to the consumer to decide that and value their purchase. For instance, some people would buy a game like The Order: 1886 at full retail price tag, enjoy it and feel like it was worth the price they paid for and on the flipside, others won't. Our income might have gone up, but there are still a good bunch of people in India who wouldn't want to pay upwards of 4k for a single game, no matter how good it is. That's where these subscription models are filling that void. It's just another avenue for people to explore their options to try out a host of games. 

Bottom line, you need to make that informed decision on buying the game at the price being claimed and if you had fun, great, if not, move on. You can vent on why it failed to meet your expectations (if the purchase didn't work out), but please do not mock others that bought it and are enjoying it. 

• Like 6

For all the price talk going on here - As consumers games worth and prices are decided by you personally, based on your experience. Companies will charge whatever maximum they can. It's their job to do, when they have nothing to fall back on like MTX, MP only games, having no exclusives but only 3rd party deals for old games etc.

What is a game worth to you? It's quite personal. Is the experience provided by God of War worth 5k to you? If so, buy at launch. If not, buy in a sale or later down the line. Don't expect companies to drastically reduce their prices day 1, just because it's not worth it to you. If enough people don't feel the price is worth it - prices will come down automatically. If it's only you and 5 others, you have the option of buying it on sale, 2nd hand, later down the line etc. For me, some games are absolutely worth it even at 5k. For example, if Persona 6 comes tomorrow, or a new yakuza or Ghost of Tsushima 2 - I'm willing to spend 5k for it. Because it gives me that enjoyment worth 5k (100s of hours of absolute fun. In fact I did spend 5.5k for Yakuza 7 Legendary Edition). I also purchased Ni No Kuni 2 Prince's Edition at launch for 6.5k, because it was worth it to me. At the same time, I would not spend 5k for TLOU3, Horizon 2 or heck even GTA 6 etc., despite it's stellar reviews. Because that is not that enjoyable for me that I will pay full launch price. Though, I recognize that it would be worth it for some people. At the current lot of exclusives, if PS5 comes here, I'm willing to spend 5k for Demon's Souls Remake. Because, for me, it's looking awesome and is the best launch title.

So all this talk of prices is moot. Because worth of every game is personal.

It's also why I will go with PS5 this gen (unless for some reason I have to buy multiple consoles) - because games that are worth it to me personally, will come to PS5. This despite no Gamepass. And I'm willing to give full price (Up to what I feel is worth it) for those particular games.

In a way, it's also why I'm not impressed with sub services as the only option. It takes away your sense of value and replaces it with whatever the sub holder decides. Ultimately, this will lead to less or even no highly grand, very expensive SP games or even SP focused games with no MTX being made. It's the MMO model again, keep shoving content that takes a long time to do (Here: keep making games that take a long time to achieve anything) so the play-time is high and sub money keeps on flowing, with maybe some 3rd party deals here and there to act as differentiators.

Edited by roun90
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, radicaldude said:

That's why I feel companies should price games region wise. 

Steam has successfully implemented this model. 

PS- not all titles but atleast some titles are regionally priced 

It is possible in digital, but not in retail.
They did it in 360ps3 gen & the demand/outcome didn't justify the effort.

I think it will be prudent if they stop selling disk based games altogether in the markets like ours and let ppl buy only digital, which can have more dynamic pricing while respecting PPP.

4 minutes ago, AnK said:

& your logic is?!? 

yes,just like always 

a big nothing!!!! 

Dil pe mat le fan boy.. 

5 minutes ago, AnK said:

keep crapping on Sony passionately till you get their games on PC 

there’s little I or anyone else can do to sooth that itch 

Nope, sony FP games will stay as they were on either platforms. 

that inch i'm finding here is from your side. 

7 minutes ago, AnK said:

Every publisher will increase their games this gen 

there’s hardly Sony alone could have done anything about it 

Sony is the publisher right? how sony 'alone' couldn't have done nothing here? 

Other publishers like take two interactive kept 70$ as standard rate,  others including Activision, Sony followed. 

5 minutes ago, Right said:

It is possible in digital, but not in retail.
They did it in 360ps3 gen & the demand/outcome didn't justify the effort.

I think it will be prudent if they stop selling disk based games altogether in the markets like ours and let ppl buy only digital, which can have more dynamic pricing while respecting PPP.

Some devs did that for the PC though, through local publishers like Milestone Interactive, World Wide CD Roms etc.

Going 100% digital wont work in India at this present moment. But yes no frills cardboard packaging, Indian publishing houses, strict restrictions on selling beyond the subcontinent with cheaper rates might work. (Just like they market expensive books from foreign authors in India).

I mean both Microsoft and Sony are big players in India. They can easily pull this off.

Edited by radicaldude

4 minutes ago, roun90 said:

So all this talk of prices is moot. Because worth of every game is personal.

It’s not only that, it’s about affordability too...

price is the major deciding factor while buying... I would buy games day one if that’s affordably...

it’s not like someone wants to wait for it to become affordable..