The Xbox Series X|S thread

32 minutes ago, kmkaks said:

At around 16:50  Richard says that the GPU load from playing sekiro @ 1800p is too taxing for the series X GPU and hence it can't hit 60FPS.

Lol. 8k gaming! PS and his BS.

Consoles cant over power stuff all the time like PC without optimisation from devs. 

Sekiro still runs at solid 60 without any kind of optimisation from devs which is very impressive for console. 

According to DF - MS confirmed that no RDNA 2 architectural boosts are in backcompat games but full speed clocks/cu count works in bc mode.

Edited by WhiteWolf
  • Thanks 1

series_x_load.001-1440x1080.jpeg

series_x_load.002-1440x1080.jpeg

series_x_load.003-1440x1080.jpeg

Grand Theft Auto IV - 12 years and $499 later, we finally have GTA IV with a near-locked 60fps refresh on consoles. This doesn't include any resolution boost beyond 720p.

Final Fantasy XV - lite mode runs at 1080p and locks much more firmly to 60fps. The game's default "high" mode combines a dynamic resolution with a 30fps ceiling, dropping beneath 2160p as needed to maintain a 30fps refresh. That 30fps is much firmer this time around, while resolution is definitely closer to a full 2160p signal on Series X than on XB1X.

Monster Hunter World - frame rate runs at 1080p at 60fps. The not-quite-4K "resolution" mode lands closer to a 55fps average—a tad jumpy. 

Auto HDR

The other bonus applied to nearly every game is a new "auto-HDR" toggle, which can be enabled or disabled on a system level. With this turned on, pretty much every back-compat game on Series X receives an automatic tone-mapping upgrade to the HDR-10 standard, as driven by Microsoft's machine learning model, to find and boost obvious specular highlights (a sun in the sky, flashes of fire, car headlights) to the top of your HDR-compatible set's brightness rating. This is aided by Xbox's new, built-in HDR calibration tool, which asks players to confirm minimum and maximum brightness levels as based on sample images. (The tool will eventually roll out to other HDR-compatible Xbox consoles.)

Auto-HDR works without touching a game's original color depth, so as not to artificially oversaturate any existing color grading. But more impressively, this is built into Xbox Series X's display controller level, thus not touching either the CPU or GPU. It's a free toggle.

2 hours ago, dylanjosh said:

Yes lol the load times are just standard ssd stuff. More interested to see what ps5 load times are like.

It is. But I guess this is big jump for consoles moving from HDD. 

RDR2

unknown.png

Edited by Joe Cool

35 minutes ago, Joe Cool said:

series_x_load.001-1440x1080.jpeg

series_x_load.002-1440x1080.jpeg

series_x_load.003-1440x1080.jpeg

Grand Theft Auto IV - 12 years and $499 later, we finally have GTA IV with a near-locked 60fps refresh on consoles. This doesn't include any resolution boost beyond 720p.

Final Fantasy XV - lite mode runs at 1080p and locks much more firmly to 60fps. The game's default "high" mode combines a dynamic resolution with a 30fps ceiling, dropping beneath 2160p as needed to maintain a 30fps refresh. That 30fps is much firmer this time around, while resolution is definitely closer to a full 2160p signal on Series X than on XB1X.

Monster Hunter World - frame rate runs at 1080p at 60fps. The not-quite-4K "resolution" mode lands closer to a 55fps average—a tad jumpy. 

Ouch! Not so next gen loading times, is it? :thumbdown: When an oldass PS4Pro with SSD can still load a game faster.

Edited by ZooZoo

Yeah, but now you don't have pay extra for SSD. Comes with the console. 

Not surprised by the result. This is standard SSD stuff. All that marketing is just trick to lure people in who have never heard of SSD.

48 minutes ago, WhatsInTheName said:

Basically, now SSDs can use the improved I/O throughput to match their speed.

btw, BC games not using RDNA 2 architecture is troubling news for Series S. All GPU heavy games are gonna suffer in a major way. 

Yeah that explains why XSS runs in 1S mode for BC. Without IPC gains from RDNA2 its a flat 4TF GCN machine, weaker than PS4 Pro GPU when it comes to current gen games. They need to patch these games to run natively on XSS. 

7 hours ago, ZooZoo said:

Ouch! Not so next gen loading times, is it? :thumbdown: When an oldass PS4Pro with SSD can still load a game faster.

RDR2 loads in 38 secs on SX in BC mode. Its not optimised for velocity architecture. In your video it loads in over 1min coz SSD cant fix issue of slower data Throughput and all other  bottlenecks in PS4 Pro systems.

Your comparison is just stupid, doesn't prove anything. Lol. Pro architecture is not designed to take advantage of SSD.

Edited by WhiteWolf

3 hours ago, Joe Cool said:

Yeah, but now you don't have pay extra for SSD. Comes with the console. 

Not surprised by the result. This is standard SSD stuff. All that marketing is just trick to lure people in who have never heard of SSD.

Zozo guy don't know what he talking about. BC mode games doesn't use new velocity  and still loads in 38 secs. 

Pro video still takes over 1min. 

According to Gamespot, load times on the Xbox Series X are down "70-80%" on the Xbox One X. Red Dead Redemption 2, for example, took two minutes and eight seconds to boot up on current-gen hardware, but that was down to less than 40 seconds on the new console

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gamesradar.com/amp/xbox-series-x-reaction-round-up-load-times-are-way-faster-than-the-xbox-one/

SX got way higher data Throughput plus with velocity and all. It should load even faster DF said

Control loads in 10 secs on SX without optimisation in BC mode. DF mentions it

Edited by WhiteWolf

Series X matches PC with NVMe SSDs 

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/21458254/microsoft-xbox-series-x-load-times-performance-gameplay-preview?__twitter_impression=true

In Destiny 2, for example, I can now load into a planet in the game in around 30 seconds, compared to over a minute later on an Xbox One X and nearly two minutes in total on a standard Xbox One.

These improved load times are identical to my custom-built PC that includes a fast NVMe SSD, and they genuinely transform how you play the game — you can get more quests and tasks done instead of sitting and looking at a planet loading.

Edited by WhiteWolf

There is no single Next-Gen,Cross-Gen game even given away for the preview kits 
How the f**k do you expect someone to do friendship with TF just yet 
what a shame really 

chaato baithke BC aur UI :rofl: 

Lol why do you get so worked up ... it’s embargo. cross gen games will be next.
Bc is important even though u may not care for it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, AnK said:

In history of console gaming 

a new generation console is being previewed without a single new generation or even cross-generation game 

it might not be a reason to get worked up for you 

but for me it is 

problem?!? :lol: 

Too bad for you than. 
glad we are getting a next gen console this year with  what that has been happening in the world.

Edited by hsk_colossus

I think this marketing seems working, since MS doesn't have games to show which can show powah of Teraflops, this is their trump card.

And by doing it only on XSX they are kind of creating an impression that load times will be same on XSS too.

Yes, this is significant leap but not something which won't be there on PS5. I believe the games are gonna load even faster on PS5.

I think this marketing seems working, since MS doesn't have games to show which can show powah of Teraflops, this is their trump card.
And by doing it only on XSX they are kind of creating an impression that load times will be same on XSS too.

Yes, this is significant leap but not something which won't be there on PS5. I believe the games are gonna load even faster on PS5.

Yup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, HundredProofSam said:

So this gen we’re going to compare frame rates, resolutions AND load times.

From the time I started gaming, I can’t think of a single game that I enjoyed more or less simply because of its load times. How is this even important?

That said, quick game switching I can appreciate because it lets you enjoy multiple games in the same sitting. And AFAIK even PC gaming for all its “lol peasants are just hearing about SSD now” doesn’t offer this.

Load times are important when you are trying to farm for a weapon in borderlands 3 ?