Joe Cool

The Xbox Series X & S thread

XSX polls.   

167 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, adity said:

This is a very simple equation tbh. Games obviously cost money to make so you'll have to pay as much. Now MS is literally throwing 200+ games at you at throwaway prices (Live gold trick) plus with a number of decent acquisitions, you'll have to get it sooner or later. 

I got an XSX considering how great a deal it is. There are around 35 games on GPU which I really wanna play. They're last gen but that doesn't matter a whole lot considering last gen was pretty good. I can also play some old favorites like Fight Night Champion and RDR which I can't on PS5. 

However I'm in no delusion about the fact that I'll have to get a PS5 sooner or later (probably sooner). It also can't be denied that gaming is sh*t expensive especially these days with reduced incomes. Sure, you can play and resell discs but I'm not very keen on it since 

1. I like to see my collection grow and

2. Reselling is a f**king pain in the a*s. 

With all that said, the notion that media doesn't have to paid for is misguided because you can see anywhere streaming took over that it fundamentally changed the landscape. 

Album sales used to be the main money maker for musicians and touring was just a way of getting fans. Now they have to rely of touring revenue to make money and peddling shitty merch. This takes a lot of control away from them since most of money is being pocketed by labels and streaming services since most venues are owned by a couple of behemoths. 

Same is true for gaming. If we're moving to a sub only scenario for games, devs lose a lot of power to create what they want with the platform holder dictating what they want. So, either we keep buying games we like or say goodbye to gaming as we know it. 

Last two lines totally resonate my sentiment.

1 minute ago, hsk_colossus said:

3) provide good variety of content to keep increasing the subscriber number, each paying a monthly fee, reaching a critical mass to make it profitable.

i think to be succesfull you will need all types of games to keep different type of players happy..

lets see how it works out.. too early to say

Yup this is how Netflix works too. You need differentiators to drive subscription. And once they have a solid number of studios, they can be in a position where they're pumping out games every few months. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, HundredProofSam said:

Sony support

It’s all Sony India, which probably doesn’t have anyone on their team who can gauge interest for stuff like this. Microsoft doesn’t either by the way, which is why they just being in any random limited edition that no one will buy (like Sea of Thieves). Probably just a directive from regional HQ. 

Any idea if both the divisions are now being managed out of the Singapore or Dubai hub?

22 hours ago, AnK said:

360 Launch :- 1999-2249 

Ps3 Launch:- 2499-2799

PS4/XBone Launch:- 3499

PS4Pro Launch:- 3999

PS5 Launch:- 4999

(Didn’t count OneX or SeriesX cos they have no games & the old trio Gears/Halo/Forza are on GP now) 

anyone who is cribbing about price rise in AAA now!!! at this time ignoring the trend over the generation is obviously ignorant to the obvious 

(or is an Xbot promoting GamesPass)

This has more to do with the USD-INR conversion rate yes? Game prices have been $60 for a couple of generation now, if I'm not wrong. 

14 minutes ago, Ethan_Hunt said:

Absolutely. 

17 minutes ago, hsk_colossus said:

Yup

17 minutes ago, adity said:

Yes

:thumbsup: have been loading up on 300-500 rs games since past 2 days now. btw. if someone doesnt have Witcher 3 yet, its on sale - Rs 750 for the GOTY edition. And it will get upgraded to next gen in (hopefully) 2021 for free. 

Look, the hardware is incredibly complex now. I am sure no one wants to play 2.5D sidescrollers all the time on the PS5, right.

To utilize the power of the hardware fully, games need to be sophisticated, and for this reason, they are extremely expensive (to produce). So the price rise is totally justified. Though I feel they should bring in regional pricing, but hey that's a decision best left to them.

If someone feels 5k price is too steep, he/she has two choices

1) Dont get the game at launch

2) Stick to indie titles. They are cheaper and some of them are extremely engrossing.

3 minutes ago, WhatsInTheName said:

:thumbsup: have been loading up on 300-500 rs games since past 2 days now. btw. if someone doesnt have Witcher 3 yet, its on sale - Rs 750 for the GOTY edition. And it will get upgraded to next gen in (hopefully) 2021 for free. 

Yep, if you haven't played any of those games, it's a steal deal in that price range. Extremely atmospheric and just the overall entertainment value of both the titles are great. Heck, I loved Exodus too; the ending was absolutely amazing. 

Just now, radicaldude said:

Look, the hardware is incredibly complex now. I am sure no one wants to play 2.5D sidescrollers all the time on the PS5, right.

To utilize the power of the hardware fully, games need to be sophisticated, and for this reason, they are extremely expensive (to produce). So the price rise is totally justified. Though I feel they should bring in regional pricing, but hey that's a decision best left to them.

If someone feels 5k price is too steep, he/she has two choices

1) Dont get the game at launch

2) Stick to indie titles. They are cheaper and some of them are extremely engrossing.

The game expensive reasoning is pretty bullshit. The industry keeps growing at a phenomenal rate and so do game companies' profits. It's only a matter of increasing profits even more. Which isn't wrong but let's not try and justify game companies fleecing more money out of our pockets. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, adity said:

The game expensive reasoning is pretty bullshit. The industry keeps growing at a phenomenal rate and so do game companies' profits. It's only a matter of increasing profits even more. Which isn't wrong but let's not try and justify game companies fleecing more money out of our pockets. 

Well, even Cory Barlog has given a similar reasoning...

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/god-of-war-director-cory-barlog-says-games-need-to-go-up-in-price/

Making sophisticated games on sophisticated hardware will be expensive, is pretty logical. These days games cost as much as (if not more) a big budget hollywood movie.

5 minutes ago, radicaldude said:

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/god-of-war-director-cory-barlog-says-games-need-to-go-up-in-price/

Making sophisticated games on sophisticated hardware will be expensive, is pretty logical. These days games cost as much as (if not more) a big budget hollywood movie.

All these people can BS with words but numbers don't lie!

Look at all these Gaming companies Financials, especially Sony's.

Edited by kmkaks
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, kmkaks said:

They have given you more than $1000 worth of hardware performance in a $500 device. So I guess they want to earn via software sales.

Edited by radicaldude

22 minutes ago, El Tigre Chino said:

This has more to do with the USD-INR conversion rate yes? Game prices have been $60 for a couple of generation now, if I'm not wrong. 

What’s that got to do with we as Indians 

we have seen a steep increase irrespective 

also PS2 era had games for $50 

Last two generations it was $60 

this time it has jumped to $70 

it was sometimes inevitable

21 minutes ago, radicaldude said:

Games earn a lot more than a Hollywood movie too. Just look at the industry size, man. With around 200 million+ console players and even more on PC, even at a dev cost of USD 200 million which is definitely on the higher side, you need to sell 5 million copies at an average realisation of $40 to break even. Which really doesn't seem very difficult for blockbuster titles. 

I have said this a million times before but costs have nothing to do with pricing and everything to do with what people are willing to pay. Gaming companies have these inflated valuations precisely because gamers are willing to pay whatever the f**k. 

While I am personally opposed to the price increase, I am not saying its right or wrong. My point is that the justification for a price increase is that people are willing to pay it and not rising dev costs or whatever. That's just bullshit optics. 

28 minutes ago, radicaldude said:

"We believe game software’s price should be determined by how much money consumers are willing to pay for the quality, not by how much money we spend to make that game"

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-11-09/game-prices-go-up-to-70-the-first-increase-in-15-years

Thats just how free market works. They will say or do anything to justify price increase if customers continue to pay. We don't know how they're using the money so can't whether its actually going to making the games or to large executive bonuses. 

Edited by dylanjosh

9 minutes ago, Heaven Angel said:

If some people are happy to pay these increased price then companies will be happier to recieve it, won't they? :D

Not really sometimes even crap get to gold rates irrespective of someone even looks at it or not:- 

https://www.reliancedigital.in/microsoft-gears-tactics-for-xbox-series-x-and-xbox-one/p/491936078?gclid=CjwKCAiA-_L9BRBQEiwA-bm5ficmIdJD6pw7T0NTT1T7hrph3TZi2ZylSL7pKWkQJf4zA9HEAdXikxoCQwYQAvD_BwE

42 minutes ago, kmkaks said:

That's mostly from 3rd parties and 30% cut from MTX. First parties only make like 15-20% of the software money, and yet they continue to not put MTX in SP games like Ubisoft. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AnK said:

Common dude, no one in their right minds would go to 'reliance' to buy games. This game is higlighted on big screens as a gamepass included game. Do you consider a 7 or 8 out of 10 game and a turn based strategy game as a crap? 

But yea, crap games will also get gold rates:- 

https://www.playstation.com/en-in/games/godfall/

Well the good thing is Sony games last generation weren’t MO focused 

you can pick these games whenever 

TLOU2-GoT are 5-6 months old & going for 35%-40% discount in Black Friday deals 

effectively making them sub -3k within months 

As long as games like these keep their engine rolling & keep winning GOTY awards one shouldn’t worry if they play them at launch or months or years down the line(according to pocket allowance) 

2 minutes ago, Heaven Angel said:

Common dude, no one in their right minds would go to 'reliance' to buy games. This game is higlighted on big screens as a gamepass included game. Do you consider a 7 or 8 out of 10 game and a turn based strategy game as a crap? 

But yea, crap games will also get gold rates:- 

https://www.playstation.com/en-in/games/godfall/

& your logic is?!? 

yes,just like always 

a big nothing!!!! 

keep crapping on Sony passionately till you get their games on PC 

there’s little I or anyone else can do to sooth that itch 

Every publisher will increase their games this gen 

there’s hardly Sony alone could have done anything about it 

it’s just that they were ready with Next gen. Games early (unlike others) 

they are taking a flack