The Xbox Series X|S thread

Guess nobody reads articles anymore. Just headlines.

We’ll have more than 60 brand-new game demos for upcoming, unreleased Xbox games available to check out for free. Look for the special Game Fest Demo tile on the Xbox One Dashboard that week to find the collection of available demos.

Many of these demos are early, and some are for games that won’t be out for quite some time.

In other words, think of these as akin to “show floor demos” and not necessarily indicative of the final product. 

These demos will only be up on the Xbox Dashboard for a week. 

We’ll have a lot of games – somewhere between 75 and 100 when the dust settles. We’ll announce the full list closer to July 21 but here are some highlights:

1. Cris Tales
  2. Destroy All Humans!
  3. Haven
  4. Hellpoint
  5. Skatebird
  6. The Vale: Shadow of the Crown
  7. Raji: An Ancient Epic
  8. Welcome to Elk

If you like this program and would like to see us do it again hit us up on Twitter: @ID_Xbox (not all the games in the program are ID@Xbox, but many are). 

Developer Speaks About Lockhart "Holding Back Next Gen." And PS5 VS XSX Dev Kits

Decided to ask a buddy of mine in the industry about the Lockhart and Series X vs PS5 and what he thinks so far. He is working on Borderlands 3 for Next Gen right now.

When I asked about Lockhart "holding back next gen." He had this to say:

"I really hate this term as it doesn't make any sense in terms of how games are actually made but I understand what people are trying to say. But if you have ever designed a game there isn't much you can and can not do. Its all a matter of what you are willing to put time/resources into to get working correctly. Whenever a new generation of consoles happens it allows creators to get things working faster and easier. Lockhart when we/my team was first briefed on it sounded really bad on paper.

Microsoft failed on providing real dev kits and details on the project. We didn't get any type of Lockhart hardware until very recently. Before we actually had the hardware we were given a profile on Anaconda dev kits that would mimic what Lockhart would be. But Microsoft never mentioned that it would have the same CPU and an SSD or how much RAM they intended Lockhart to have. I suspect this was because they themselves hadn't decided. To put it bluntly, they released these profiles far too early. The tools they provided made us hate Lockhart.

That changed once we got Lockhart Dev kits. It is indeed the same CPU and SSD and getting up and running on this device was super easy compared to Anaconda running in the Lockhart profile. We have been able to do the work we want on Anaconda and get it running on Lockhart with not a ton of work but it has required a bit more time to make sure the code runs on both machines in the same fashion. Its not something we are really worried about anymore. As the generation goes on I feel like this will be the approach for many studios. You start on Anaconda and then optimize for Lockhart. There is nothing the Lockhart can't do that the Anaconda can.

The one thing I have heard thats concerning is that Lockhart dev kits are not common. It seems like Microsoft really wants to be able to use Anaconda to accurately portray Lockhart performance and that has not been the experience my team has had. The profiles and tools are getting better on Anaconda in terms of mimicking Lockhart, but if you don't have a Lockhart dev kit, I feel like you are not going to be able to see how it accurately runs on Lockhart. Maybe this will change, but as of right now you really need a Lockhart Dev kit to understand it. For smaller teams I could see the optimization process being more time consuming but the tools provided by Microsoft have come a long way. They make it very easy to jump from one kit to another and the Lockhart kit is equipped with a lot of tools that help you see exactly where code needs to be looked at. Ray Tracing is one area that they seemed to have focused on and have made it very easy to adjust the levels."

I asked about PS5 Dev kits vs Series X dev kits and which console has the upper hand?

"PS5 dev kit is a bit easier to work with. Its well thought out and designed in ways that make it a bit easier to tweak and change things vs Anaconda. To say I prefer one over the other isn't' really fair because both are very good, but its just a bit easier to work with PS5. But Anaconda has the upper hand in terms of us being able to really push effects. The difference will come down to effects over resolution for us. We have both dev kits pushing 4K/60 on Borderlands 3 and we have almost zero loading times on both kits. Looking at them side by side the image is very similar.

Edited by -13-

3 hours ago, -13- said:

This sounds promising. If it can do 1440p 60, I'd happily considering picking up a ps5 and series s. 

Use the series s for backwards compat games and use it with the monitor ? PS5 wouls go with the TV

Edited by l33tmaniac

43 minutes ago, l33tmaniac said:

This sounds promising. If it can do 1440p 60, I'd happily considering picking up a ps5 and series s. 

Use the series s for backwards compat games and use it with the monitor ? PS5 wouls go with the TV

It'll most likely target 1080p or 1440p but with effects turned down.

1 hour ago, -13- said:

It'll most likely target 1080p or 1440p but with effects turned down.

I am fine with that. More interested in ps5 for exclusives and I already have a PC. This might be a decent option as a secondary console. I still gotta play some xbox and x360 titles that arent on PC.

On 7/2/2020 at 11:19 PM, Right said:

Lockhart could be a coup.

But leaks says its quite weak.

$249 is possible.

So its a 1080p60fps/1440p 30fps machine with same seriesX cpu and ssd but with weaker gpu in terms of tera flops but faster than One X gpu performance wise as it will be part of new Series X RDNA2 architecture, system ram will be around 10GB with 7gb for games. So you will not see major compromise as CPU and SSD are same as Series X. Only difference will be graphics details which is same as you playing on gtx 280ti and im playing on gtx 260ti.

Edited by WhiteWolf

8 minutes ago, WhiteWolf said:

500 for seriesX

399 for Lockhart

My prediction. Cpu and ssd could increase cost.

399 for lockhart will be a failure if PS5 digital edition is priced the same or 449$.

The difference in price should be at least 100$

39 minutes ago, WhiteWolf said:

So its a 1080p60fps/1440p 30fps machine with same seriesX cpu and ssd but with weaker gpu in terms of tera flops but faster than One X gpu performance wise as it will be part of new Series X RDNA2 architecture, system ram will be around 10GB with 7gb for games. So you will not see major compromise as CPU and SSD are same as Series X. Only difference will be graphics details which is same as you playing on gtx 280ti and im playing on gtx 260ti.

Lel.

It will be 1080p 30fps machine, as rumours J have read. Which os not bad at all if it comes for 249$.

Second, an insider has mentioned that Lockhart can be priced half that of XSX.

So 249/299 look very legit if they sell XSX for 499$

But I’m convinced that Sony will take a short term hit and go with 399$,, they have done it last two gens and while PS3 couldn’t win PS4 did.

PS5 at 399$ will kill both Lockhart and XSX. Market has shrunk a lot, spending is down due to corona, 20m Americans are unemployed, pricing matters more than ever.

56 minutes ago, WhiteWolf said:

lol they could have continued to sell Xbone x instead of making new SKU.

During their July conference they could have announced it Don Mattrick style.

"Don't have 500 dollars? we have a product for you, it's called Xbox One X"

:rofl:

1 hour ago, WhiteWolf said:

IIRC , the worlds most powerful console aka one X already does native 4k at 60fps. What is the need of lockhart then?