The Xbox Series X|S thread

39 minutes ago, -13- said:

I wonder how much GP pays out for different games vs what the developers earn via digital sales on PC. That'll give us a good idea of how good/bad it is.

For GP i think MS pays publishers a set amount to put certain games on GP for a specific time period, like 1-2 months.

On steam volvo gets a 30% cut from each copy sold on steam store, the rest goes to publisher i think.

btw what dylanjosh said is right in a way, most multiplats on Steam will get monies long after their release year is over, meanwhile on PSN XBL i doubt anyone cares for 2-3 year old games, btw on PC also no option for used disc games, on console you can just play used games, which isn't a direct sale for Sony/MS, meanwhile you just have to buy digital on steam, there is no game disc resale on PC as it is on consoles.

7 minutes ago, PhantomShade said:

For GP i think MS pays publishers a set amount to put certain games on GP for a specific time period, like 1-2 months.

On steam volvo gets a 30% cut from each copy sold on steam store, the rest goes to publisher i think.

btw what dylanjosh said is right in a way, most multiplats on Steam will get monies long after their release year is over, meanwhile on PSN XBL i doubt anyone cares for 2-3 year old games, btw on PC also no option for used disc games, on console you can just play used games, which isn't a direct sale for Sony/MS, meanwhile you just have to buy digital on steam, there is no game disc resale on PC as it is on consoles.

?

That seems way too high. I had no idea.

Just now, -13- said:

?

That seems way too high. I had no idea.

It's standard, Google also takes the same for Play store, so does Apple for app store( apple also has $99 developer free to be paid every year if you want to put your app on app store :rofl: )

I think PSN XBL can charge a bigger cut because no competition, atleast steam has to deal with Epic games now.

Hmm. Never knew about this myself. 30% seems too high for just about any platform. Since its 30% of revenue, cost of development etc isn't taken into consideration. Play store bhi mast dalla hai. 

Also I believe reason why console game sales are front loaded is that once can simply buy a cheap used copy after a while. On PC you have to go digital so devs earn for longer periods. 

I really don't want discs to go from the console space but I thinks it's just a matter of time.

14 minutes ago, -13- said:

? That seems way too high. I had no idea.

30% is industry standard. On Steam, for all sales between $10 million and $50 million, the split goes to 25 percent. And for every sale after the initial $50 million, it is 20%. 

GOG, MS, SONY, Nintendo, etc all take 30% cut. Humble takes 25%.

Physical stores take 30% cut too. Gamestop/Amazon/Best Buy/Walmart, etc. 

Only EPIC has this 12% cut. 

19 minutes ago, rAgHaV said:

Hmm. Never knew about this myself. 30% seems too high for just about any platform. Since its 30% of revenue, cost of development etc isn't taken into consideration. Play store bhi mast dalla hai. 

Also I believe reason why console game sales are front loaded is that once can simply buy a cheap used copy after a while. On PC you have to go digital so devs earn for longer periods. 

I really don't want discs to go from the console space but I thinks it's just a matter of time.

That's the f**ked up part. I read Epic charges 5% of revenue for it's engine. I thought that was high. 30% is just murder.

21 minutes ago, HundredProofSam said:

The moment you put the game on the disc, so many middle men come into the picture. If it's a third party console game the first cost is the platform owner royalty. Next is the disc manufacturing cost (even if it is owned by Sony/MS, there is still a cost to it). Then there's the shipping cost of sending it all over the world. Then there's a margin for the game's local distributor(s), and finally there's a margin for the retailer who sells it in stores.

In India, distributor makes about 15-18% commission on each game sold. Retailer gets 5-10%. Add up the other logistical costs and you can imagine how little the publisher actually makes.

21 minutes ago, Joe Cool said:

30% is industry standard. On Steam, for all sales between $10 million and $50 million, the split goes to 25 percent. And for every sale after the initial $50 million, it is 20%. 

GOG, MS, SONY, Nintendo, etc all take 30% cut. Humble takes 25%.

Only EPIC has this 12% cut. 

This is just sad to know. Do the AA game publishers/developers even earn anything seeing how they probably don't sell as much? GP must seem like a good deal to them considering they get their money upfront for some months of exclusively.

1 hour ago, KnackChap said:

20200725_161350.jpg

YCq9LiA.png

And yet epic is the bad guy according to PCMR. 

They are only bad guy because their client is dogshit, EA Origin, Ubisoft Uplay, Steam all are much better.

This 12% cut is not daan dharam, they are doing it like how Mukes/Jio continues to give total value plans for peanuts, all to gain market share, in these 3-4 years like Jio has gained 400 million subscribers you know?

Epic also expects something similar, they want to have large install base, lots of customers who use their store a lot.

24 minutes ago, kmkaks said:

Today I learned why lord Gaben got too lazy to even consider making Half Life 3.

Even without Steam money, they make so much paisa off Dota 2 TI tournaments every year :rofl:

35 minutes ago, -13- said:

This is just sad to know. Do the AA game publishers/developers even earn anything seeing how they probably don't sell as much? GP must seem like a good deal to them considering they get their money upfront for some months of exclusively.

Why do you think todays games have MTX and Lootboxes and cosmetic items for sale then friend?

3 minutes ago, PhantomShade said:

They are only bad guy because their client is dogshit,

And it garners so much frothing-at-the-mouth hate that they act like that client went to thier homes and murdered their family. Just post anything Epic-positive on reddit and you will get -100 downvotes instantly :rofl: 

2 minutes ago, PhantomShade said:

Why do you think todays games have MTX and Lootboxes and cosmetic items for sale then friend?

I understand why they have it. But it's so f**ked up to imagine that a company like MS/Sony earns more from your product than you do. :(

1 hour ago, Joe Cool said:

Physical don't really have cut. They buy copies at something like $35 (could be higher for Nintendo) and sell them at the rate they seem fit. Usually $60 at launch and lower it as it gets old. Publishers lose more money (or get less money) on physical than digital, even without considering the used market.

11 minutes ago, CarbonCore said:

Physical don't really have cut. They buy copies at something like $35 (could be higher for Nintendo) and sell them at the rate they seem fit. Usually $60 at launch and lower it as it gets old. Publishers lose more money (or get less money) on physical than digital, even without considering the used market.

I thought the cut was like $8-$10. :panic:

1 hour ago, dylanjosh said:

And it garners so much frothing-at-the-mouth hate that they act like that client went to thier homes and murdered their family. Just post anything Epic-positive on reddit and you will get -100 downvotes instantly :rofl: 

It's because it looks like all Fortnite paisa is being pissed away at timed exclusivity, Jio tier price cuts etc, rather than hiring a lot of competent devs and getting out a decent client with features

tbh even CDPR puts work into the GOG client, and who in the f**k even buys from that store :lol:

Literally no excuse they have for this sh*t with all the Fortnite bucks AND the cheeni paisa from sugar daddy Tencent

1 minute ago, hope said:

Physical stores will be in trouble if that ps5 digital console is a hit. If the gap is 100$ to the physical console then most will go digital way.

I dont think digital only ps5 is going to dent physical sales. A large chunk of gamers prefer physical discs to buy sell used games. Digital essentially kills that option.

Also 100 bucks difference is nothing whem talking about used games. Will probably recover that much on 2 games itself.