The Xbox Series X|S thread

1 minute ago, Right said:

Yeah they can do that. 

But it will not be cheap, MS have to compensate them for their full projected sales on x1 & sx, and some, who will buy it off retail when you get it for 1$ with GP or (even for free).

Just because they can doesn't mean that it's a good business decision though.

I want them to release footage of games running on XSX now. Halo infinite was running on pc and it got delayed. They need to release xsx games footage so that we know it's capable of running games properly. So far everything pointed to xsx launch delay too but now even the release date is confirmed. Months before release their biggest launch title, which was headline their "gameplay" showcase was running on PC, got delayed to next year, and they didn't show any game actually running on XSX. Just shows how lame is the launch.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Right said:

Yeah they can do that. 

But it will not be cheap, MS have to compensate them for their full projected sales on x1 & sx, and some, who will buy it off retail when you get it for 1$ with GP or (even for free).

No Cyberpunk won’t go gamepass for 2 years at least. I believe CDPR is a company that is valued and takes pride in the numbers it sells.

8 hours ago, -13- said:

Where did you read this? I don't think that's correct. 343 has themselves said that they were planning to create a new engine since they formed the studio because the engine at that time was already too old. They had to make do with that engine for 2 more games. Due to time crunch they postponed Slipspace till after Halo 4 but then had to postpone it further till after Halo 5. They always regretted this decision and decided to work on the new engine first so that they could use it for Infinite. That was always their target.

There were series of post on twitter and era posted by Jason or some other insider, and people connected the dots. I'll try to find them but it basically went like this.

1. Halo 4 engine was co-developed with ND veteran who left ND to work on Halo 4. She later left 343 after game came out.

2. They used same engine for MCC and Halo 5, but it turned out to be not good for network play so they started working on Slipspace for Halo 6.

3. The project got rebooted and they decided to make a GaaS game for next gen.

4. It got rebooted again in 2018 when they got the mandate to make Slipspace work on last gen.

5. 2018 trailer was running on high end PC with Slipspace (not CG), it was not possible to scale it back to base Xbone at that time.

So the game really has been in development for about 3 years and the engine development and requirement to make it work across multiple generations fked them over.

Just now, playstationdude said:

Ori , cuphead, Gears 4 mainly :P The exclusives front isnt great tbh,  but in general they have really upped the stakes with Gamepass.

Only Ori will of was released in last 2 years. You said they improved a lot w.r.t games. Gamepass has nothing to do with their games in last two years. It's all 3rd party. And gamepass gets like 10 good 3rd party games in a year, i.e. the games you actually want to play. Rest all is fodder material.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Big Boss said:

Only Ori will of was released in last 2 years. You said they improved a lot w.r.t games. Gamepass has nothing to do with their games in last two years. It's all 3rd party. And gamepass gets like 10 good 3rd party games in a year, i.e. the games you actually want to play. Rest all is fodder material.

Ori and 2 both released. Gears 4 and 5. 

Cuphead. State of decay 2. 

See my point is Sony couldnt do anything much with PS now even though it has existed longer.

MS has been able to create a lot of hype with gamepass by roping in a lot of 3rd party publishers. Whether or not this is a viable model is secondary, but for now it will attract a lot of gamers to their platform.

4 minutes ago, playstationdude said:

Ori and 2 both released. Gears 4 and 5. 

Cuphead. State of decay 2. 

Dude you said "they have done a lot w.r.t games in last 2 years. I asked you what games and you mentioned Ori 1 and 2, Gears 4. Now you googled and mentioned Gears 5 and State of Decay 2. So releasing 3-4 games in 2 years, out of which State of Decay 2 was sh*t, ori was a side scroller is "doing a lot w.r.t games"?

4 minutes ago, CarbonCore said:

There were series of post on twitter and era posted by Jason or some other insider, and people connected the dots. I'll try to find them but it basically went like this.

1. Halo 4 engine was co-developed with ND veteran who left ND to work on Halo 4. She later left 343 after game came out.

2. They used same engine for MCC and Halo 5, but it turned out to be not good for network play so they started working on Slipspace for Halo 6.

3. The project got rebooted and they decided to make a GaaS game for next gen.

4. It got rebooted again in 2018 when they got the mandate to make Slipspace work on last gen.

5. 2018 trailer was running on high end PC with Slipspace (not CG), it was not possible to scale it back to base Xbone at that time.

So the game really has been in development for about 3 years and the engine development and requirement to make it work across multiple generations fked them over.

So, let's put a timeline to some those things...

1. Halo 5 came out in 2015

2. 343 started work on Splispace in 2015/2016

3. X1X came out in 2017

4. XSX work began around X1X around 2016/2017

5. XSX design was finalised in (let's give them 2 years) in 2018.

6. "Infinite got rebooted again in 2018 when they got the mandate to make Slipspace work on last gen"

So, we're saying that work on Slipspace started even before XSX and even though it takes quite a while to lock the feature set (for both the engine and console) they somehow managed to build an engine for nextgen? I'm not saying you're wrong but insiders are wrong A LOT of times.

Here's what I think happened; it's much simpler to understand. They started work on Slipspace after Halo 5. That gives them 5 years to work on the engine and the game. They wanted to target the nextgen launch but they couldn't meet it since 5 years is too short a time for those 2 gigantic tasks.

1 minute ago, Big Boss said:

Dude you said "they have done a lot w.r.t games in last 2 years. I asked you what games and you mentioned Ori 1 and 2, Gears 4. Now you googled and mentioned Gears 5 and State of Decay 2. So releasing 3-4 games in 2 years, out of which State of Decay 2 was sh*t, ori was a side scroller is "doing a lot w.r.t games"?

What is your concern with my post? Are you just pissed because I appreciated xbox? :rofl:

Also please read my post properly before jumping. Ive said they have Improved a lot in the last 2 years. And I stand by my statement that they have compared to the last 2 gens. Gamepass is also a part of their xbox gaming ecosystem.

25 minutes ago, CarbonCore said:

Corrinne yu?

She didn't leave ND to join 343 but she left 343 to join ND. 

The whole story around her is so fascinating. often touted as a female John carmack she was 343's most high profile signing to work of the engine on halo 4 and gave them great results with halo 4.

She left to join ND during halo 5 development and was quickly fired with some naughty dog employees leaking out her as incompetent, overrated and no up to their high standards. Think she left the industry after that. 

4 minutes ago, playstationdude said:

What is your concern with my post? Are you just pissed because I appreciated xbox? :rofl:

Also please read my post properly before jumping. Ive said they have Improved a lot in the last 2 years. And I stand by my statement that they have compared to the last 2 gens. Gamepass is also a part of their xbox gaming ecosystem.

No I just pointed out the bullshit narrative that they have done a lot w.r.t games in last 2 years when all they did was release 3-4 games out of which the only 2 good games were sequels of 360 franchises.

Gamepass has nothing to do with their games as they haven't released much games in last 2 years. And even good 3rd party AAA content has dried out in last year. We only got Yakuza, A plagues tale and RDR2. It is good for new subscribers.