The Xbox Series X|S thread

2 minutes ago, Joe Cool said:

This is actually terrible when you think Ori and Titanfall aren't even MS games. :lol:

They basically ran entire generation on...Forza. With Gears snooze and Halo looking worse, Forza might just run for another generation. Oof. 

When this idiot thinks like this, no wonder the brand is down in the dumps. 

20200815_002308.jpg

• Haha 3

I thought after the Xbox One launch mess, MS would never ever want to be in the same situation again. And yet here we are with Spencer actively trying to ensure they can cross and run away with the XSX launch. If there's a race to the bottom at the moment MS is leagues ahead. 

It's a shame when you have a capable device but have glorious f**kall to back it up with. I'd like to walk up to Spencer and smack him right now and hope he comes to his senses. 

9 minutes ago, Walker said:

I thought after the Xbox One launch mess, MS would never ever want to be in the same situation again. And yet here we are with Spencer actively trying to ensure they can cross and run away with the XSX launch. If there's a race to the bottom at the moment MS is leagues ahead. 

It's a shame when you have a capable device but have glorious f**kall to back it up with. I'd like to walk up to Spencer and smack him right now and hope he comes to his senses. 

It's almost as if in the last 2 years, someone at MS decided to dump their earlier plan of big-dick 12 TFLOPs console with photorealistic Halo, and instead decided to go for Game Pass install base boosting instead :scratchchin:

Almost as if the Series X costed a lot to produce :scratchchin:

and it would have costed $600 at retail :scratchchin:

which would just not sell as much as they'd like :dance:

3 minutes ago, KnackChap said:

Microsoft need to be "Spencer mukht Xbox" to compete this gen. 

They need to be console hardware mukt and stop competing at all.

It's literally beta tujhse na ho payega for them now.

Someone quote this jhumla and put in in sig

By 2025 Xbox will be out of the console hardware business and will only be a gamepass brand on PC and 3rd party games publisher

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PhantomShade said:

By 2025 Xbox will be out of the console hardware business and will only be a gamepass brand on PC and 3rd party games publisher

I agree

this is the last hardware generation for them with gamepass everywhere on all devices . Once the xbox hardware goes away ,i think sony and nintendo will also allow gamepass on its consoles . 

Edited by triggr happy ss

I think ninty would still continue with consoles as it clearly has a loyal fan base , but by next gen, I think maybe xbox/ps will combine to have some arrangement for cloud gaming .... i think in general, most gaming will move to cloud slowly.  Like how the regular software moved to cloud (when was the last time you installed an app on your PC which wasn't a game ?) , movies/music moved to cloud based streaming, gaming would too.  Only thing causing the delay is the dependency on physical disc sales (which as I know is still a significant source of revenue) and network issues like latency and stuff, i mean, even now I don't think anyone can properly play a game on a wireless network (irrespective of the country), you still need a good enough broadband connection, which is out of reach of many (which translates to a whole lot of customer base lost) !

5 hours ago, PhantomShade said:
20 minutes ago, triggr happy ss said:

I agree

this is the last hardware generation for them with gamepass everywhere on all devices . Once the xbox hardware goes away ,i think sony and nintendo will also allow gamepass on its consoles . 

Haha. Gamepass is not a sustainable business model.

It will be super-easy to top for anyone who has spent a few years in Publishing or someone who runs a content delivery platform.

Epic/Steam can have their Gamepass while maintaining regular storefront.

Sony can make PSNow a Gamepass service by allowing Downloadable games and adding newer titles after a point of time to keep things fresh.

The only thing which makes Gamepass unique is day-0 delivery of MS FP games, because they are very few, and that can be topped too.  

9 minutes ago, Ne0 said:

I think ninty would still continue with consoles as it clearly has a loyal fan base , but by next gen, I think maybe xbox/ps will combine to have some arrangement for cloud gaming .... i think in general, most gaming will move to cloud slowly.  Like how the regular software moved to cloud (when was the last time you installed an app on your PC which wasn't a game ?) , movies/music moved to cloud based streaming, gaming would too.  Only thing causing the delay is the dependency on physical disc sales (which as I know is still a significant source of revenue) and network issues like latency and stuff, i mean, even now I don't think anyone can properly play a game on a wireless network (irrespective of the country), you still need a good enough broadband connection, which is out of reach of many (which translates to a whole lot of customer base lost) !

Yep games will move to cloud eventually. We will be playing games like we watch shows on netflix / amazon / hotstar etc. 

6 minutes ago, Right said:

Haha. Gamepass is not a sustainable business model.

It will be super-easy to top for anyone who has spent a few years in Publishing or someone who runs a content delivery platform.

Epic/Steam can have their Gamepass while maintaining regular storefront.

Sony can make PSNow a Gamepass service by allowing Downloadable games and adding newer titles after a point of time to keep things fresh.

The only thing which makes Gamepass unique is day-0 delivery of MS FP games, because they are very few, and that can be topped too.  

It's not sustainable, but it is the prevailing zeitgeist meme, subscription service + cloud + mtx lootbox loaded GaaS === lots of $$$ is what most of these corps seem to think now.

Like Adobe and MS Office rolling in money after they made their products subscription only, although muh cloud is still in nascent stage,  even the le Cloud version of MS Office is gimped so bad :rofl:

Cloud will take time to become desktop replacement tier in quality, like 10 years, but everyone is going all in with these subscription memes.

Like i have some VPSes on AWS, AWS still has the memetic billed by hour or pay per month, rather than allowing you to pay a discounted yearly fee, because per month paisa brings them MOAR paisa, this seems to be industry standard with Azure and GCP also doing this.

People saying Gold and GP is going to be combined, but it think this is the reason they took out 12 month gold sub, because per month and 3 months brings more money to them, and the customer is helpless

Cloud gaming is still a pipedream. Before coming to consoles it will have to prove itself on mobile phones and by that I don't mean console games on mobile but Mobile games and apps on mobile. The day you can stream all apps and games without downloading bis when we can look forward to streaming on consoles. 

Another argument I see thrown out regularly is if movies and songs can do it why not games. the big difference here is going to be development time for a AAA title. A good budget TV show can be done within a year, a song within a week or two but games take years and years to develop. sure games offer a lot more than a 6-8 hour experience but how many games have the same engagement as say cod/fortnite/sports titles. It might work for some but not sustainable for others and sadly if it becomes the norm we may see games designed around it. 

• Like 1

It might not happen immediately , but "might" happen by next gen (5-7 years?).  The business model around games might change as well once they take the streaming route, it may not be exactly like how we've it today.  Games might switch formats to episodic model or wow subscription based model to bring down years of development times and drive sales.  For example, before Netflix , who thought having TV shows without ads and launching all the episodes back to back would actually work ? Now almost every major TV network has an online presence and follows this model.

another reason i think for the imminent cloud based gaming is the cost of developing hardware required to boost the graphics.  I mean, so far, we haven't seen any leap in visual fidelity in the next gen consoles compared to this gen.   We've been hearing about all the 4k/60fps stuff, but yet to see it working in reality.  Even the ray tracing that's being touted on consoles in the next gen is a gimped down version of the actual thing (some hybrid model from what I read, instead of the actual real time ray tracing which would need much more computational power).  The cost of manufacturing the consoles with the expected hardware bump while keeping the price down, would be a much bigger challenge going forward, and I feel companies "might"  find it more cost effective to invest in the cloud route.  Of-course purely speculation from my end.  No idea which way the tide is gonna turn !

4 minutes ago, Ne0 said:

another reason i think for the imminent cloud based gaming is the cost of developing hardware required to boost the graphics.  I mean, so far, we haven't seen any leap in visual fidelity in the next gen consoles compared to this gen.   We've been hearing about all the 4k/60fps stuff, but yet to see it working in reality.  Even the ray tracing that's being touted on consoles in the next gen is a gimped down version of the actual thing (some hybrid model from what I read, instead of the actual real time ray tracing which would need much more computational power).  The cost of manufacturing the consoles with the expected hardware bump while keeping the price down, would be a much bigger challenge going forward, and I feel companies "might"  find it more cost effective to invest in the cloud route.  Of-course purely speculation from my end.  No idea which way the tide is gonna turn !

You still need that hardware in cloud. 100M people playing on console will require cloud power equivalent of 100M consoles. You can stream RTX graphics with 4k/60 from GF Now, but that server feeding you those graphics is running a 2080ti just for your instance.

10 minutes ago, CarbonCore said:

You still need that hardware in cloud. 100M people playing on console will require cloud power equivalent of 100M consoles. You can stream RTX graphics with 4k/60 from GF Now, but that server feeding you those graphics is running a 2080ti just for your instance.

agreed, but in the cloud the other challenges like heat sinks & power consumption are taken care of.  The challenge currently in developing a really powerful graphics card is to fit it in a form factor that goes inside your console keeping in mind the heat sink / power consumption challenges on consumer electronic devices.  In the cloud these challenges don't exist at the same level.  To give you an ex, many of the cloud based VMs that run on AWS / Azure run Operating Systems in FPGA's  to increase speed / load times and save space,  unlike your laptop/desktop where they are installed & run from hdd/ssd.  There are many such optimizations possible in cloud which you cannot do in a consumer electronics device. 

Edited by Ne0

Phil Spencer: Our Approach Isn't About Selling More Consoles Than PS5

I want to have a great experience on the television and I think Xbox Series X is absolutely going to deliver that and I'm incredibly excited by the lineup of games that we're building, but it is a fundamental difference than the traditional console war as people talk about.

'How many consoles do I sell versus how many consoles does another company sell' - Sony or Nintendo or other companies back in the day - we're just not...that's not our approach."

https://www.purexbox.com/news/2020/08/xbox_boss_our_approach_isnt_about_selling_more_consoles_than_ps5

images (69).jpeg

• Haha 7

"Hehe looks like we're not going to sell that many Xsex boxes anyway so lets spin it "

Phil Spencer: Our Approach Isn't About Selling More Consoles Than PS5

"Hehe looks like we will not be able to recover even the development costs if we make the next Halol Exclusive to Series X, guess we gotta put it on the Xbone and PC too, so let's spin it "

"As a player you are the center of our strategy," Spencer said. "Our device is not the center of our strategy, our game is not the center of the strategy. We want to enable you to play the games you want to play, with the friends you want to play with, on any device.

"Gaming is about entertainment and community and diversion and learning new stories and new perspectives, and I find it completely counter to what gaming is about to say that part of that is to lock people away from being able to experience those games."