The Xbox Series X|S thread

23 minutes ago, radicaldude said:

Right now, they are busy in Redmond, trying to figure out why.... 20201128_103236.jpg

Wow, and I almost bought the 'dev tools aren't ready' reasoning by some people.

Now I'm starting to think maybe they just slapped everything to a beasty GPU and called it a next gen console. Meanwhile Sony went behind the efficiency approach with tons of custom stuff.

P. S. I'm just speculating here.

7 minutes ago, WhiteWolf said:

Damn. He seriously needs to stay away from internet dammit.

His colleagues at DF have also told him to take time off Twitter when it started affecting him severely. He came back when he felt better eventually but I feel he has this habit of trying to engage with everyone, including trolls and dicks not just genuine questions from fans and gamers. 

Edited by gecko89

3 minutes ago, gecko89 said:

Now I'm starting to think maybe they just slapped everything to a beasty GPU and called it a next gen console. Meanwhile Sony went behind the efficiency approach with tons of custom stuff.

Yeap. This explains the lack of "exclusives" as well. 

12 minutes ago, gecko89 said:

I am sure Microsoft just bought the parts from bestbuy while Sony did custom stuff?.. lols 

1 minute ago, gecko89 said:

He posted image of headline not article :P

Microsoft only allowed developers to submit games for Xbox Series X certification in June, after delivering an update to its Game Developers Kit (GDK). That followed the company’s rather tight schedule for dev kit allocations, all while I’ve been consistently hearing that many developers had access to PS5 dev kits far in advance of Xbox versions.

It always takes time for developers to get used to the new software and tools involved in creating games for next-gen consoles. One developer tells me Microsoft’s switch to the GDK has been troublesome for basic things like user profile switching or gamepad linking

There is a reason you are seeing Dirt 5 devs admitting that they fuked up 120hz mode and promising a fix. If it was hardware issue they would have just ignored the issue.But ultimately its MS fault for creating such situations for devs and they must fix it asap.   All you are seeing right now early launch issues which are temporary and it will not be the case in future. 

Also one of the main reason people are talking about this so much is due to lack of new  1st party showcase title.  If they had new exclusives showing the power of hardware this year then story would have been different. But it is what is.

MS should stop relying on third party to showcase their hardware. Third party will never showcase your hardware, they will go for parity 90% of time.

55 minutes ago, radicaldude said:

Right now, they are busy in Redmond, trying to figure out why.... 20201128_103236.jpg

I agree and the XSX under-performance case makes it quite interesting. Further if it had been like X1X vs Pro, PS fanboys would only have a refuge in exclusives. Ponies should be thankful that current games are performing better on PS5 and that may be a limited time situation only - we are less than a month into the next gen.

4 minutes ago, 0verlord said:

I agree and the XSX under-performance case makes it quite interesting. Further if it had been like X1X vs Pro, PS fanboys would only have a refuge in exclusives. Ponies should be thankful that current games are performing better on PS5 and that may be a limited time situation only - we are less than a month into the next gen.

Ps is like the "apple" of the console world. They spend a lot of time working on/optimising their software to get the max out of their hardware. 

29 minutes ago, radicaldude said:

Yeap. This explains the lack of "exclusives" as well. 

No it doesn't unless you are a game dev and/or a console hardware/software dev and you understand what's the actual reason. Right now we are just outsiders who can only look at things as they stand today - any comment about future performance and exclusive games including mine is pure speculation but it's fun to discuss all these things - and if it's anything different for you then your comments should be avoided

3 minutes ago, AnK said:

What's coming out next month?!

I said we are less than a month into the next gen. What has "What's coming out next month?!" got to do with what I said? I don't know when the so-called "Tools" will be ready or whatever.

4 minutes ago, radicaldude said:

Cyberpunk 2077

That will run BC on next gen as someone pointed out - likely that no conclusion can be drawn on XSX vs PS5

Also as wolf says, only "1st party" exclusives can actually tell the real story of graphics power of a console - I am starting to appreciate his point.

Edited by 0verlord

Just now, 0verlord said:

No it doesn't unless you are a game dev and/or a console hardware/software dev and you understand what's the actual reason. Right now we are just outsiders who can only look at things as they stand today - any comment about future performance and exclusive games including mine is pure speculation but it's fun to discuss all these things - and if it's anything different for you then your comments should be avoided

What explains the lack of platform exclusives then? Why a new hardware to play older titles? 

I have one more query. Cross gen gaming is understandable, but cross gen controller is something I'm not able to wrap my head around. The controller is the same. 

6 minutes ago, radicaldude said:

Ps is like the "apple" of the console world. They spend a lot of time working on/optimising their software to get the max out of their hardware. 

Exactly what I was thinking. Minus the outrageous cost of course. Sonys custom APIs and stuff tends to only PS5, whereas this 'dev kits' and APIs of MS have to support XSS, XSX and PC. That's a lot of fragmentation, just like android. 

Edited by gecko89