The Xbox Series X|S thread

1 hour ago, radicaldude said:

I wonder which thread is appropriate for this nugget of news. 

We encouraged the console wars, not to create division, but to challenge each other," Moore said, speaking on the Front Office Sports podcast (thanks, IGN). "And when I say each other I mean Microsoft and Sony.

This competition has helped the industry, Moore continued, and saw Microsoft continuing to commit to video games despite the Xbox 360's costly "Red Ring of Death" debacle.

"If Microsoft hadn't of stuck the course after the Xbox, after the Red Rings of Death, gaming would be a poorer place for it, you wouldn't have the competition you have today

Point. 

So a member on Reset was able to condense a 81 page letter sent by MS to Commerce Commission in New Zealand explaining why the acquisition of Activision Blizzard should be legally fine

pasted below

I finally had time to read the full notice (81 pages) that Microsoft sent to the Commerce Commission in New Zealand explaining why the acquisition of Activision Blizzard should be legally fine.

Almost all the interesting info is blocked for confidentiality reasons :S For example, there are almost 2 pages of blank space where MS explains the commercial reasons for the acquisition.

Anyway, there are some cool pieces of info beyond the legal reasoning:

- MS says that they have 24 first-party development studios (because they also count Casual Games Suite as one, the developers of Solitaire, Mahjong or Sudoku). So, we have to update the OT :p

- Tencent is constantly mentioned (23 times), as well as Sony and how the new PS Plus offering is a Gamepass competitor.

- Lots of references to new entrants in the video game market (Apple, Netflix, Amazon, Meta, Google, Nvidia, etc), how easy is nowadays to start a studio and create a super successful game even with just one developer (for example, Flappy Bird is mentioned).

- Valve and Epic are also mentioned quite a bit as competitors post-transaction.

- Call of Duty, World of Warcraft and Candy Crushrepresented 82% of Activision Blizzard's 2021 net revenue :o You can bet that those franchises are going to remain multiplatform in the future.

- The only Japanese publishers mentioned as competitors post transaction are Nintendo and Bandai Namco, no mention of SEGA, Capcom, Konami, Square Enix, etc. In fact, they also include Roblox or CD Projeckt RED as competitors. It makes economical and legal sense because CD Projeckt RED was Europe's most valuable game company in 2020 and Roblox had around 190 million average monthly players in 2021. But I find it funny how for MS all those Japanese publishers are just a "long tail of smaller competitors". :p

- Lots of talks about how online display advertising, cloud services and merchandising are also relevant markets for this acquisition, but that they don't believe that the transaction could cause competition problems in those markets. They also say that there is nothing unique about the video games developed and published by Activision Blizzard that is a "must have" for rival PC and console video game distributors. So, that a new competitor could do what they do and be successful (that's true but not everyone has +3000 developers working on a single IP). :p

1 hour ago, Snake said:

- Lots of references to new entrants in the video game market (Apple, Netflix, Amazon, Meta, Google, Nvidia, etc), how easy is nowadays to start a studio and create a super successful game even with just one developer (for example, Flappy Bird is mentioned).

"You can't wake up one day and say, 'Let me build a game studio,'" Nadella said in an interview after the company announced its $7.5 billion cash purchase of ZeniMax Media..." :giggle:

Salsa:

https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/how-microsofts-ceo-xbox-head-say-bethesda-will-bolster-xbox-games-pass-lineup/

Edited by gecko89

On 8/5/2022 at 12:34 AM, VelivolusDas said:

I'm wondering how the hell freeing up a few 'MBs' will help Series S in either resoltion/frame rates.

Looking back Microsoft should have launched the Series S without crippling it's RAM for no fking reason,it is clear that devs are having a hard time optimizing games for this pathetic console.

Just watch,these so called "perfomance boosts" time to time won't help in the long run.Once UE5 games and fully raytraced games become mainstream,the console will be crippled to death with outputting PS2 era resolutions just to get 60FPS,lmao.

Edited by BK__317

Just a heads up.

My Xbox controller developed stick drift so i ended up getting a couple of 3rd party options, 8bitdo Ultimate and PowerA fusion pro 2. Both are excellent worth getting.

Especially surprised by PowerA. Was thinking it's a copy cat brand. The controller is actually amazing. So smooth to operate it feels like a high end product.

IMG20220801220156.jpg

• Like 6

On 8/6/2022 at 9:48 PM, b!T said:

Dafaq are they thinking :blink:

They have realized how stupid that 'nextgen' console is and are now trying to kill it with extra stupid pricing.

Edited by quixote_1989
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, quixote_1989 said:

They have realized how stupid that 'nextgen' console is and are now trying to kill it with extra stupid pricing.

The way it happened is Xbox execs were discussing that we should compete with PS5 digital edition as its 40K, After several discussion they invite hardcore Xbot @El Tigre Chino into the room, he says Hold My Beer and suggests let’s increase the price as close to the PS5 digital edition so we are Neck to Neck in the market… 

• Haha 7