The Xbox Series X|S thread

38 minutes ago, Krazyniks said:

Like it has been explained in Versus thread - this layoff has more to do with recession in the west and not with MS acquiring Bethesda or planning to acquire Activision.

Although yeah things can and should have been managed better ( goes for all big tech companies in general ) .

BGS has been through multiple recessions bigger than this, this is nothing new. When you have SIE studios hiring more and more devs and sending Bat signal to laid off people, you start to wonder wtf is going at big tech that you have to let go important people like the producer at BGS main office. 

Can someone explain how how these things work?

which XSX mode is equivalent to rest mode and turn off respectively in PS5?

what does XSX do when you shut down via holding the X button and when you shut down by going into the settings? Does auto game updates work when shutting down in both ways, and in which mode - saving energy or other one? Also, if I want to turn off the power supply or electricity goes away, which mode is safe and which way to shut down is safe?

Edited by 0verlord

58 minutes ago, 0verlord said:

Can someone explain how how these things work?

which XSX mode is equivalent to rest mode and turn off respectively in PS5?

what does XSX do when you shut down via holding the X button and when you shut down by going into the settings? Does auto game updates work when shutting down in both ways, and in which mode - saving energy or other one? Also, if I want to turn off the power supply or electricity goes away, which mode is safe and which way to shut down is safe?

You get the below menu for Power options that you can set. 'Sleep' is essentially Rest mode equivalent and as you can see from the description it supports those respective features while in that mode.

'Energy saving' is basically a normal shutdown. I just stick to this as I normally switch all my electronics off from the main power socket when I'm done.  

FfEG_6QXEAU7bWR?format=jpg&name=900x900

8 hours ago, b!T said:

Only thing I am interested is Forza and it doesn't have a date :ranting:

Most likely its a FALL release, between September to November.. still good enough.. the game looks mindblowing..

Just watched the whole presentation in 4K.. Super Crisp, No bullshite, No getting Execs in.. Gameplay, Game Release date Dang !

Forza and RedFall were show stoppper for me...proper AAA stuff 

1 hour ago, Assassins Creed said:

Most likely its a FALL release, between September to November.. still good enough.. the game looks mindblowing..

Just watched the whole presentation in 4K.. Super Crisp, No bullshite, No getting Execs in.. Gameplay, Game Release date Dang !

If they manage to pull off Starfield, RedFall and Forza in the same year, it’d be unbelievable. 

2023 will be Xbox’s year. 

11 hours ago, Assassins Creed said:

Yeah, Forza looks stunning and I believe the lighting and physics improved a lot. Even though i was a bit disappointed not to get the release date for Forza the presentation was pretty straightforward and on point. No BS executives.

10 hours ago, Vamos said:

If they manage to pull off Starfield, RedFall and Forza in the same year, it’d be unbelievable. 

2023 will be Xbox’s year. 

Starfield is what I look forward to the most after Forza.

1 minute ago, b!T said:

Yeah, Forza looks stunning and I believe the lighting and physics improved a lot. Even though i was a bit disappointed not to get the release date for Forza the presentation was pretty straightforward and on point. No BS executives.

• Like 1

Forza Rebuilt
1 point of contact at 60hz up to 8 points at 360.
Soft, medium, hard and f1 tires supported.
New suspension and weight modeling. Which includes fuel and bounce adjustments. 
Completely redone breaking.
Rebuilt AI. It is now as fast as their fastest drivers without any boosts or cheats.
Forzatech updated to support 4k60 with ray tracing and RTGI (probably in replay)
Full day cycle with weather
Track rubbering, drying lines
24 hour endurance race in 24 minutes is now possible. 

• Like 2

https://www.ign.com/articles/phil-spencer-interview-2023

Hi-fi Rush shadowdrop:

Yeah, the shadow drop, it seems like it worked really well this time. It's not a thing we've done a ton of. This was an idea from the team. They'd been playing the game, felt good about their launch date and some of the early signals on quality, and said, "Hey, it would just be fun. It would just be fun to be able to launch this during the Developer Direct and say, 'Play it now.'" So we rolled with that. We're always learning, always listening, and it seems like the community's responding well, which I think is a good signal.

Forza delay:

I know there were some questions on the date on Forza Motorsport, because we just revealed the year. Everybody should know just the quality that Turn 10 puts into Motorsport, if you look historically, is going to be there in this game. That's the thing that, first and foremost, is most important, and we will come out with a date, no doubt when we're a little bit closer. But we just wanted to reaffirm to people that this is a 2023 game.

under peformance of xbox/ slowing gamepass growth:

Well, one thing with Game Pass is we're kind of in unchartered territory in doing what we're doing with Game Pass in the industry. So it's harder for us to go out there and look at examples to help us gauge how fast we should be growing. We're at an all-time high for paid subscribers, and Game Pass, it continues to grow. I'm happy with the growth. We set high internal targets, and people see sometimes we miss those targets, sometimes we hit them, but I'll always be ambitious about what we're trying to do.

I'd say the quarter numbers that you're talking about with software and services...one of the things to remember is that's a year-over-year comparison. Last year in that quarter, we had Age of Empires, we had Forza Horizon 5, we had Halo Infinite. All of those did really well for us, and as we pointed out, we didn't have that big release in that same quarter of this year.

layoffs:

As somebody who's been on Xbox for an awful long time, it's always a challenge whenever a coworker...a team member is not going to be on the journey with us going forward. I take to heart the impact on individuals. I see my commitment and my responsibility as the person who heads the business to create a safe place where people can do their best work. And obviously, we have reductions for certain people there. I haven't succeeded at that.

My commitment is to the business, to the customers, to the teams. I think running a successful business is part of creating a stable place for our team members. The long-term vision that we have on Xbox of building our experience around the player, allowing creators to build games that can reach players on any screen that they want to go play, giving players different ways to build their library, whether it's buying their games, subscribing to their games, looking at access like xCloud and the work that we do on PC. I'm a strong believer in that vision.

Right now, there's some business that we're having to work through, and part of that is making sure that we have the right resources in the right places to do the best work. Sometimes, that means we have to make some allocations, in this case, some reductions, and I don't take that lightly, because the impact on the individuals is real. But it is, I think, important for us, for the larger organization that's here, that I put this business in the best stable position I can for what we need to go forward, which in the end should create a better place for the great team members that are here building the things that they're building.

343 situation:

At the same time, when we launched that game, we know we needed to make some commitments to people about the content updates and our timing on those and the quality, and we didn't hit our own bar for doing that. I believe in the team that's there, Pierre and the leadership team, and the plan that they have. Obviously, [343 studio head Pierre Hintze], he's the studio head now, has been on Halo for a long time. He's worked on [Halo: The Master Chief Collection, he's done some great work there. The team has a very good plan.

What we're doing now is we want to make sure that leadership team is set up with the flexibility to build the plan that they need to go build. And Halo will remain critically important to what Xbox is doing, and 343 is critically important to the success of Halo.

In terms of support studios and other things, that's just part of development and having other partners help us. But the heart and soul of Halo is with 343 and the team that's there, and I have the utmost confidence in the team that's there and leading and the plan that they have going forward.

Activision:

Given a year ago, for me, I didn't know anything about the process of doing an acquisition like this. The fact that I have more insight, more knowledge about what it means to work with the different regulatory boards, I'm more confident now than I was a year ago, simply based on the information I have and the discussions that we've been having.
So my confidence remains high. We're actively working with the regulatory boards around the world that need to approve for this, and it's been a learning experience for me. A lot of time spent, a lot of travel, a lot of conversations, but they're conversations where I get to talk about our industry and the work that we do and why we do it. I think the more regulators are informed about what gaming is, how the business runs, who the players are, and what our aspiration is as Team Xbox is just a good thing for the industry itself.

• Like 5

Xbox's Phil Spencer | IGN Interview

Acknowledges light 2022 for Xbox, "that's on me"

Stresses quality for Forza Motorsport; reiterates it's a 2023 game

343 "critically important to the success of Halo"

Confident in Activision deal closing

https://www.ign.com/articles/phil-spencer-interview-2023