Rumor thread and discussion

3 hours ago, Mr. Comingle said:

I'm 99% sure they're just speculating. 

Why would TCL know about Sony and Microsoft's plans? 

There is a chance they got those specs in advance so they can plan for and get ready their new line-up of TVs (8k Capable and what-not).

That said - generally all of this would come under strict NDA. And companies would be the last ones to break NDAs, considering their entire partnership with other supply chain members are at stake. TCL's Legal Teams should have been combing through the full presentation first.

So, there is a chance you are right and this is just them speculating what is safe to say. 

1 hour ago, Mysteryman said:

June is coming and rarely any hype. 

Greatly miss the good old E3 hype days. 

All major Studios & Publishing houses of the past are in trouble. 

Actiblizzard 

EA

Bethesda 

WB 

SquareEnix

All are either sold or about to be

Ubisoft 

Capcom

are eying their options. 

Sega is well still Sega.

M$ has probably had the worst few years in terms of content creation & have had to pour in money on content like water to give for free & stay relevant. 

Sony is still in banger mode but struggling to contemplate how to go about in the future with another great Gaming slump just around the corner.

Nintendo is eying handheld market & no longer needs E3 like events. 

12 minutes ago, AnK said:

Actiblizzard 

EA

Bethesda 

WB 

SquareEnix

Agree with the list except SE. They are most likely fine. They got rid of their Western Studios, which IMO was not their strong point in management anyway. But FF14 is easily keeping them happy. Not to mention, interest in their Japanese Games is going strong with FF7 Remake, Kingdom Hearts, Dragon Quest, Nier etc. EA would also have been absolutely fine - but they lost their FIFA license. It's to be seen how that would impact them.

15 minutes ago, AnK said:

Ubisoft 

Capcom

All 3 are fine IMO, and will only be sold if there is an offer on the table "That They Can't Refuse" - like what MS did with Bethesda or Acti-Blizz. Unfortunately, MS can't do these things again because of Anti-Trust Laws and all 3 are big enough and have amazing IPs that are on the rise. Other than MS, no other console makers can afford them. If they are brought out - it will most likely be from Tencent or something at this point.

17 minutes ago, AnK said:

Sega is well still Sega.

SEGA is doing very well in gaming + has gambling to fall back on

18 minutes ago, AnK said:

M$ has probably had the worst few years in terms of content creation & have had to pour in money on content like water to give for free & stay relevant. 

MS is also doing pretty well, and if they keep GamePass up, there is a chance they might capture a large portion of the gaming industry. I never thought I would say this - but right now MS is the most consumer friendly company among the gaming platform makers

19 minutes ago, AnK said:

Sony is still in banger mode but struggling to contemplate how to go about in the future with another great Gaming slump just around the corner.

Sony is getting arrogant as heck. They are going pretty much on a consumer-unfriendly way. They have exclusives, but those are also starting to fit into a mold. Last experiment was Ratchet, but they need a lot more of those. The PS3/Early to mid PS4 mind blowing experimental exclusives are gone.

21 minutes ago, AnK said:

Nintendo is doing what they do best. They have the most innovative HW and games. They are king of handhelds, and they keep up that title. Now in an even better way - because those Handhelds can also be played on TVs and still look awesome.

17 minutes ago, AnK said:

Actiblizzard 

EA

Bethesda 

WB 

SquareEnix

Ubisoft 

Capcom

are eying their options. 

Sega is well still Sega.

Agreed. The traditional gaming market has greatly changed since the Xbox 360 / PS3 era in favor of live service and cheap indie games.

New AAA IPs carry a lot of risks hence these studios/publishers would rather sell off or merge. 

In addition, making games now take 4-5 years of development and management of manpower is much harder with multiple reports of resignations in some studios. 

CoVid has hit the traditional gaming industry much harder than thought. 

44 minutes ago, AnK said:

Sony/PS will turn into a game publisher in the future I think like Sega

26 minutes ago, PhantomShade said:

Sony/PS will turn into a game publisher in the future I think like Sega

Not unless the traditional living room boxes die in favour of streaming. 
It’s still a long way to go by the looks of things. 

M$ might abandon traditional Xbox in favour of streaming much earlier as it wants to push things in that direction as early as possible. 

53 minutes ago, roun90 said:

The PS3/Early to mid PS4 mind blowing experimental exclusives are gone.

Their investment in games like Returnal,Deathloop,Sifu,Ghostwire pretty much tells a lot about their intentions in investing in experimental & risky IPs. 

Who knows they might have bought further rights to Deathloop IP if M$ hadn’t acquired the parent company.

Just like they bought Housmarque after Returnal’s success. 

Their further investments in Haven,Deviation & Bungie also tells that they do want a strong footing in other genres other than Action Adventure. 

1 hour ago, roun90 said:

They have exclusives, but those are also starting to fit into a mold. Last experiment was Ratchet, but they need a lot more of those. The PS3/Early to mid PS4 mind blowing experimental exclusives are gone.

You should name the experimental games so we can compare directly. 

I agree they should've kept Japan studio to add some variety with games like Gravity Rush 2, Last Guardian, Bloodborne etc.

Dunno how Ratchet is an experiment though.

2 hours ago, Vaibhavp said:

You should name the experimental games so we can compare directly. 

I agree they should've kept Japan studio to add some variety with games like Gravity Rush 2, Last Guardian, Bloodborne etc.

Dunno how Ratchet is an experiment though.

Naming some "Experimental" games. Some are utter flops, but they are experiments nonetheless (Failed Experiments)

Resistance (Weapons System), Infamous (Morality system + Superhero Game that actually worked - for the time), Folklore (Very unique Story, Atmosphere and Gameplay), Lair (1st 1080p game on PS3/360 gen + Motion Controls), Siren (Very unique horror games), Little Big Planet (Creative ofc), Gravity Rush Series, Unchartedf (Unique when launched - not anymore), TLOU (Unique when launched - not anymore), Journey, Flower, Dreams etc.

Nowadays, it's just that Sony is only taking what previously succeded and making more of them or remaking them (Horizon 2, GoW 2, GT7, DeS etc.). They are not "experimenting". Last one was Ratchet, and they released it only because of (I suspect) to put up something exclusive to next gen. If Sony had known how PS5s would sell, they would mostly have removed the "Portals" aspect (Which made it unique) and made it a game that would run on both PS4 and PS5 (With extra charge for PS5 version of course)  

Latest Ratchet is unique and an experiment because of how it uses the Hardware. It is literally the only single "Next Gen" game available in the entire Gaming Industry. Rest all other games can be done on last gen systems. Ratchet: Rift Apart is the only game that is just not possible on any of the previous generation systems. 

13 minutes ago, roun90 said:

Naming some "Experimental" games. Some are utter flops, but they are experiments nonetheless (Failed Experiments)

Resistance (Weapons System)

Explain pls.

You mean like because of the ample amount and variety of guns available?

It's a pity insomniac is now a full superhero game studio rather than a shooter making studio

1 hour ago, PhantomShade said:

Explain pls.

You mean like because of the ample amount and variety of guns available?

It's a pity insomniac is now a full superhero game studio rather than a shooter making studio

Variety + Chimera Weapons (Which were unique at the time I feel).

Yup, truly a pity Insomniac went full super-hero. And not just super-hero, but full Marvel at that. I kind of miss the unique powers of Infamous + The Morality system, that allowed you to go full on villain, and get different endings for it. Second Son also had a very unique concept (Delsin had no powers of his own, but could take powers of all he comes in contact with, and develop them - but the original user does not lose the power). I wish they could have developed the concept more.

Edited by roun90

34 minutes ago, roun90 said:

Variety + Chimera Weapons (Which were unique at the time I feel).

Yup, truly a pity Insomniac went full super-hero. And not just super-hero, but full Marvel at that. I kind of miss the unique powers of Infamous + The Morality system, that allowed you to go full on villain, and get different endings for it. Second Son also had a very unique concept (Delsin had no powers of his own, but could take powers of all he comes in contact with, and develop them - but the original user does not lose the power). I wish they could have developed the concept more.

Infamous made by Sucker Punch :P

but even I get confused nowadays

TBH I liked the PS3 era IPs more even though i've not played them wish the sony walas would atleast put out a resistance remaster and kz remaster

PS3 era IPs were special coz Sony went full out with their first party creativity coz it was basically abandoned by almost all third party studios. 

Initially everyone started making exclusives for 360 coz of its inherent similarities to PC architecture & PS3 dev kits being largely unavailable. 

Even the ones which were announced as PS3 exclusives started developing for 360 coz of the same reason. 

Sony had to look after itself big time. 

• Like 1