Returnal

GeraltOfRivia

9 minutes ago, Mr. Comingle said:

:fear1:

I watched most of it. Better than CarryMinati's annoying rants for sure :D It was fun to watch and I'll try Returnal too once the price comes down. Looked interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Have been running around Biome 1 to test the malignant items. After 20 or so runs, I feel that the malignancy is very unbalanced. Picking malignant item is harmful most of the time and even the items that you get after cleansing are usually worthless. It never feels like a risk reward mechanics rather a punishing mechanics. 

Another thing I noticed was that the game is adaptive. if you do well then you will face tougher enemies and higher number of lockdowns. I played very well in 4-5 of my runs and in those runs every second room (main or side doesn't matter) was a lockdown with overwhelming number of enemies. While in runs where I didn't do well, lockdowns were fewer and even the number of enemies in the lockdowns were not overwhelming. Another interesting observation was that if you pickup astronaut from the fabricator you will certainly face a lockdown in next 2-3 rooms. 

• 2 weeks later...

Man, I'm having a blast so far.

Reached the boss of biome 1 in the second run. Died in his last phase but then managed to kill him in my second run. Continued in the same run to the boss of biome 2 and died.

Played a couple of rounds  and then I managed to get the perfect RNG in biome 1.  Fully clear it and then just take the shortcut to the boss in biome 2. Kill him in the second attempt. Proceed on the same run to go into biome 3 and get the rocket launcher weapon. It absolutely shreds everything but jesus, the enemies in this round are annoying. Manage to reach the boss and this time instead of going in blind I decide to first google and see what the boss fight is going to look like. Made a huge difference and I basically just got it off in the first try. [Good stuff because screw doing the third biome again, it's so annoying]

So here's where I'm kinda pissed I had an excellent run at this point. 300 percent health. Parasites that are giving me cheat death + protection and damage buffs... Then I lose it all immediately when I reach biome 4 for the first time. Wtf? I get that you get better weapons but f**k man; that run was killer. Really solid RNG. Manage to reach hyperion in the same run and then proceed to die in his third phase. I get why they do it thematically but I'm pretty sure he dies if I had my biome 3 loadout.

Anyway, the game is still amazing. I love the gameplay loop. Hopefully I'll finish it up by next week since I found biome 4 is kinda easier than 3 for sure [even with just an upgraded pistol].

Edited by Alice

8 hours ago, Alice said:

So hears where I'm kinda pissed I had an excellent run at this point. 300 percent health. Parasites that are giving me cheat death + protection and damage buffs... Then I lose it all immediately when I reach biome 4 for the first time. Wtf? I get that you get better weapons but f**k man; that run was killer. Really solid RNG. Manage to reach hyperion in the same run and then proceed to die in his third phase. I get why they do it thematically but I'm pretty sure he dies if I had my biome 3 loadout.

Great going !!

Biome 3 end is like an end of Act 1, even story wise if you noticed so it’s basically a reset. Don’t worry about Act 2 if you finished Act 1 swiftly, you can finish in 2 sittings..

Hyperion is super easy, you should get him in next round.. 

24 minutes ago, Assassins Creed said:

Great going !!

Biome 3 end is like an end of Act 1, even story wise if you noticed so it’s basically a reset. Don’t worry about Act 2 if you finished Act 1 swiftly, you can finish in 2 sittings..

Hyperion is super easy, you should get him in next round.. 

Yeah, I noticed biome 4 was definitely easier than biome 3. Even with just a base pistol. 

I've visited the house 3 times so far. First time you get the astronaut figure. Second time, I saw an octopus plushie; but I didn't interact with the tiny cube thing in the house. When I got booted out of the house, the artifact was not there. After reaching biome 4, I got into the house again and this time I interacted with the cube and outside I got the spaceship artifact. Does that mean; I've lost the octopus plushie related artifact? Or I have to just unlock it with RNG now?

Edited by Alice
spelling error

2 hours ago, Alice said:

Yeah, I noticed biome 4 was definitely easier than biome 3. Even with just a base pistol. 

I've visited the house 3 times so far. First time you get the astronaut figure. Second time, I saw an octopus plushie; but I didn't interact with the tiny cube thing in the house. When I got booted out of the house, the artifact was not there. After reaching biome 4, I got into the house again and this time I interacted with the cube and outside I got the spaceship artifact. Does that mean; I've lost the octopus plushie related artifact? Or I have to just unlock it with RNG now?

Nope, that's not really an Artifact. Housing sequences are all automatic. I didn't the visit the house after 4th and visited directly after 5th and it triggered two cut scenes.. Any artefact from the house only pops up outside, if it didn't its fine.. And u will also start finding Astro figurine, Spaceship model in the Fabrication and in the world as well.. A large vial is anyday better than the second chance Astro figurine as it only heals half of the health..

Finally got time this weekend and just finished game.  Agree with the general consensus that Act 2 is easier than Act 1.  Weapons are more fun as well. Since I was so lucky in my initial runs, I basically had no weapon traits unlocked. I spent a bit of time unlocking the portal gun + portal turret + serrated edges for the hollowseeker. Once that was done, I finished the game off of an entire run where I found that in the start of biome 4

I've seen some gameplay and I know there are more insane weapons but it's kinda tedious to unlock them using their base version which is basically a*s [to compensate for how broken they become with all their weapon traits]

Spoiler

For the story: Mixed feelings. Wish it was not a hallucination, etc and a proper sci-fi game instead of this PTSD angle they took. But at the same time, it's kinda nice how they tied her car crash together. Driving through the woods -> the ruins.
The crash and the car going underwater -> the final level being underwater. The fact that hyperion is her kid and every start of a cycle it keeps repeating that "hyperion has been abandoned " takes on a different meaning.

Controls, gameplay, sound design, even vfx were all tight. Truly phenomenal game. Wish this comes out on PC in a few years so that I can play it at 1440p 144Hz. 

Now I know there's more to do in this game and there's a secret ending etc, but I've already seen it on youtube. I wish there was more of a NG+ where you can do Biome 1-3 with all the upgraded weapons. Because atmosphere wise, I love 1-3. Boss battles are better too. But I like the crazy guns and traits you get in 4-6. 

Edited by Snake
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Alice said:

Finally got time this weekend and just finished game.  Agree with the general consensus that Act 2 is easier than Act 1.  Weapons are more fun as well. Since I was so lucky in my initial runs, I basically had no weapon traits unlocked. I spent a bit of time unlocking the portal gun + portal turret + serrated edges for the hollowseeker. Once that was done, I finished the game off of an entire run where I found that in the start of biome 4

I've seen some gameplay and I know there are more insane weapons but it's kinda tedious to unlock them using their base version which is basically a*s [to compensate for how broken they become with all their weapon traits]

Spoiler

For the story: Mixed feelings. Wish it was not a hallucination, etc and a proper sci-fi game instead of this PTSD angle they took. But at the same time, it's kinda nice how they tied her car crash together. Driving through the woods -> the ruins.
The crash and the car going underwater -> the final level being underwater. The fact that hyperion is her kid and every start of a cycle it keeps repeating that "hyperion has been abandoned " takes on a different meaning.

Controls, gameplay, sound design, even vfx were all tight. Truly phenomenal game. Wish this comes out on PC in a few years so that I can play it at 1440p 144Hz. 

Now I know there's more to do in this game and there's a secret ending etc, but I've already seen it on youtube. I wish there was more of a NG+ where you can do Biome 1-3 with all the upgraded weapons. Because atmosphere wise, I love 1-3. Boss battles are better too. But I like the crazy guns and traits you get in 4-6. 

spoilers? Use tag atleast 

Edited by Snake

5 hours ago, Mr. Comingle said:

I'm anticipating a big update for this game to add modes and replayability. The game has a lot of potential for arcade mode and sh*t. 

I thought they're pretty much just done with it. Is there any confirmation of an arcade mode or at least a mode to play seamlessly between act 1+2?

2 minutes ago, Mr. Comingle said:

No I'm anticipating it. Pure speculation. Really hoping for a surprise update like Got legends. 

:( That sucks.

I've seen vids on youtube where people have the mega busted weapon traits unlocked which just makes the game a cakewalk. Don't really feel like grinding if the entire point is that once the guns become that imba you can just sort of casually destroy everything. I think hollowseeker is a good example. The weapon by itself was fine. But once it unlocks portal gun/portal turret traits it shreds. I've seen a fully automatic rocket launcher too [haven't seen the trait for it yet].

Some of the other weapons also seem busted. Can someone who's plat'd the game confirm that basically once you've unlocked the best weapon traits you can sort of just casually destroy everything with any gun?

I am near the final boss and love this game to death. 

This game is very difficult, but I find the experience similar to playing Sekiro for the first time. It's a new type of gameplay and a completely fresh learning curve that feels insurmountable at first, but soon enough you learn the enemy patterns and are sweeping the floor with enemies you previously struggled with. 

17 hours ago, Alice said:

Don't really feel like grinding if the entire point is that once the guns become that imba you can just sort of casually destroy everything.

What else would you want to grind for though?

17 hours ago, Alice said:

Can someone who's plat'd the game confirm that basically once you've unlocked the best weapon traits you can sort of just casually destroy everything with any gun?

Yeah, kind of. But I guess it also depends on how good you are with certain guns. There was this run where I was using a Coilspine Shredder and was getting fairly cocky with it until I got locked in a small room with two severed and what felt like 30 drones. Those drones kamikaze'd the sh*t out of me :lol:

But personally, it was actually really fun to see how crazy some of the weapon traits can get. In fact, this was what made the game so replayable for me. Would've probably given up on the plat otherwise.

• 4 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Assassins Creed said:

:ko: what did I miss.. Is it the door inside House 

The area where you spawn, right side of Helios in Biome 1 and 4. It's inaccessible.

Edited by Heaven Angel