The Coronavirus Thread Part 2

Big Boss

16 minutes ago, GunnerY2J said:

So are the around 70% policemen according to you who are on the road the whole day.

Nothing to add further, didn't even compare with the N-95 masks.

If you know hankies are useless, why don't you just buy a N-95 or surgical mask? What use is it to prove how comparably useless a hanky is to a cotton mask?

17 minutes ago, Sach4life said:

If you know hankies are useless, why don't you just buy a N-95 or surgical mask? What use is it to prove how comparably useless a hanky is to a cotton mask?

I didn't mean hankies are useless.

I meant hankies are equally effective as cloth masks (but hankies do have more area of seal but people found it laughable)

You could say they are equally ineffective as well but I found the outrage with hanky stupid.

If i said the same with cloth mask, it wouldn't have been bad.

No point in this discussion let's close it, I already have agreed from the start but didn't like the outrage with hanky as opposed to cloth masks.

In short, hankies are just as effective as cloth masks (if not more i.e. area)

And never said anything about n-95 masks which are more effective but didn't like the outrage with hankies compared to cloth masks.

Edited by GunnerY2J

1 hour ago, GunnerY2J said:

The best mask you can buy is an N-95 mask. Second best option is a triple layer surgical mask (I have this). 
Yes, I already agreed.
From the very start I only compared it to regular cloth masks being worn everywhere.

Of course the real masks are the true thing.
Didn't compare to them.

Also people still saying about the seal area thing.

How is it not better sealed (area wise) than a regular cloth mask ?

And for the last time, I only compared it to regular cloth masks - at least this has two layers of cloth,
yes, you can say both are ineffective (agreeable) but area wise the seal is here better.
If the same I had said that i am wearing regular cloth masks, it won't have been so hyper.

The real masks are way better and effective, never compared to them.7a8e933d2386ef01105e9880522e17ad.jpg

Sent from my ASUS_X01BDA using Tapatalk

:rofl:

39 minutes ago, GunnerY2J said:

And never said anything about n-95 masks which are more effective but didn't like the outrage with hankies compared to cloth masks.

Ok leaving side all comparisons and stuff. Curious why aren't you buying Surgical masks or N95/KN95 masks?

Here is one set 

https://www.amazon.in/Mush-layered-Certified-Reusable-India/dp/B089DPZC96/ref=sr_1_11?dchild=1&keywords=n95&qid=1594030297&sr=8-11

Ok this debate has gone too long.

Simple thing, Masks is not only for you, its also for people you care.

So don't be a cheapo, buy something that protects everyone, even that random deliveryboy to whom you may pass off your corona.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dylanjosh said:

Ok leaving side all comparisons and stuff. Curious why aren't you buying Surgical masks or N95/KN95 masks?

Here is one set 

https://www.amazon.in/Mush-layered-Certified-Reusable-India/dp/B089DPZC96/ref=sr_1_11?dchild=1&keywords=n95&qid=1594030297&sr=8-11

Let's not get into the theory,

The explanation won't be understood and spark some unneeded remarks.

7 minutes ago, GunnerY2J said:

Let's not get into the theory,

The explanation won't be understood and spark some unneeded remarks.

Well ok. Whatever your reasons, you're ultimately putting yourself and others you interact with at great risk and I hope you rethink it. 

2 minutes ago, dylanjosh said:

Well ok. Whatever your reasons, you're ultimately putting yourself and others you interact with at great risk and I hope you rethink it. 

He'd rather risk his and other people's safety than agree that he's wrong.

1 minute ago, GunnerY2J said:

I agreed I am wrong from the very start only.

Awesome... now go buy a N95 mask and ditch the hanky.

1 hour ago, Ne0 said:

Aren't N95 just single use masks ? They're not meant for multiple user afaik.  Maybe someone else can clarify.

The one I bought that came with the filter, the chemist said to dip in water to clean and not to dip in sanitiser and all as it will screw filter up.

I have a slightly different question. Haven't left the society in 4 months, haven't left the house for 15 days. This is because our society had 3 cases of COVID and I deemed it unsafe to step out.

The authorities came 2 days back, declared the households corona-free and removed the blue COVID-19 banner outside the respective homes.

Hence will go down again from today. Concern is whether I should wear my mask, because I cycle (sometimes run). One gets out of breath at some point and I'm not sure if one should be restricting airflow while you're drawing deep heavy breaths? Don't think that outweighs risk of getting COVID from left-over air particles from when someone exhaled a couple minutes back.

Before the cases in my society, I use a cloth filter mask bought from Japan a couple years back as it not a problem if this kind of mask gets wet from sweat, its easy to clean.

9 hours ago, Bhpian Bali said:

My post might sound like a conspiracy theory but i didnt mean to write it that way. my main intention is to pray that a cure or a treatment is found soon.

the only thing i dont agree with you on is that "Big Pharma is NOT controlling the narrative" 

Now scientist are saying that corona virus is Airborne and have asked WHO to revise its guidelines. 

WHO is not the Big Pharma. LOL. 

I do work quite often with drug development. While it's always fun to watch "Big Pharma" in the narrative, the pharma sector is so tightly regulated outside the US & EU (important distinction to make) that even India DCGI does not agree to approvals even if the drug is US FDA approved (in most cases). DCGI does have it's issues, but bad approvals are not one of them (at least in the last 5-6 years - and I would thank the media for that. Long story for another day). 

Like all industries, every industry has bad folks, you would have surely seen multi million dollar fines for such companies. But by and large, pharma companies do a lot of profiteering by price changes/evergreening, not by holding other drugs at ransom. In the current pandemic, it will be EXTREMELY IRRESPONSIBLE to launch a drug without proving efficacy and safety (giving false hope, and potentially triggering higher infections), and thus the need for proper CT. If you look at it, the major vaccine candidates are from Biotech companies hoping to sell their products to "Big Pharma", since that is how to get into large scale manufacturing and distribution (I think Oxford has tied with Abbott, and Abbott has even started manufacturing without waiting for P3 results). It's high competition inside the industry itself. 

I have said this multiple times - don't quote anecdotal evidence. It is USELESS. What works for you might kill me. That is the reason why Fabiflu was launched as a prescription product. There is NO LONG TERM study. There is no LARGE SAMPLE study. We don't know the safety of mentioned doses. We don't know the exact cure rate.

Viruses are notoriously difficult to work with. That's why HIV took years for effective medicines to be found, and even then we don't have the ultimate cure. Same for seasonal flu. You need the shots every year, and even then a different strain can wreak havoc. 

I don't believe an Ayurvedic treatment will work. I am not saying Ayurveda is bad, but in today's evidence based practice world, anything which does not undergo rigorous CT is next to placebo. 

No single MNC is so big that they can control the narrative. Trust me. 

Edited by Bird Bird Bird
  • Like 1

See, there are plenty of categories of people tackling corona virus and every category believes the one below them are wrong.

The uppermost A category don't even go out of the house and think the Bs even with the N-95 mask are wrong. They only eat pulses and rice in these times.

Plenty of people find eating chicken and fruits in these times unacceptable.

The one below them only order online and sanitize everything.

The one below who go to markets to buy vegetables and stuff and are wrong in the eyes of A and B even with the N-95 mask and they don't sanitize stuff.

Also come the people who wear N-95 mask but go to gardens, walks, chats or playing or don't wear anything at all and play cricket and football - plenty of people.

Also, come people with the normal masks/hanky who might be out going or not.

Every category is at its own place and everyone's wrong.

• Haha 2

Unironically the Chinese Virus situation is only in God's hands now.

Earlier the meme was hanky was ok, having cloth mask is ok, now it is N95 only :ko:

I wonder what will happen if we get a sequel to the Bubonic Plague or smth.

Whole planet getting btfo by some generic Chinese flu variant.