The Coronavirus Thread Part 2

Big Boss

9 minutes ago, GunnerY2J said:

See, there are plenty of categories of people tackling corona virus and every category believes the one below them are wrong.

The uppermost A category don't even go out of the house and think the Bs even with the N-95 mask are wrong. They only eat pulses and rice in these times.

Plenty of people find eating chicken and fruits in these times unacceptable.

The one below them only order online and sanitize everything.

The one below who go to markets to buy vegetables and stuff and are wrong in the eyes of A and B even with the N-95 mask and they don't sanitize stuff.

Also come the people who wear N-95 mask but go to gardens, walks, chats or playing or don't wear anything at all and play cricket and football - plenty of people.

Also, come people with the normal masks/hanky who might be out going or not.

Every category is at its own place and everyone's wrong.

• Haha 3

Ok, I didn't want to give an explanation but this what I do believe.

And I knew it won't be taken well as well, nothing about acting smart.

I'm a category C or D  person maybe who is wrong here within plenty of B s here.

And cloth/hanky does protect somewhat to a certain degree (not as good as n-95 but it does)

Edited by GunnerY2J

1 minute ago, GunnerY2J said:

I'm a category C or D  person maybe who is wrong here within plenty of B s here.

And cloth/hanky does protect somewhat to a certain degree (not as good as n-95 but it does)

Your're a category I person.

49 minutes ago, GunnerY2J said:

Hmm, it's fine.

Let's not get into it more.

Yes we are lucky that Tukaram Mundhe was controlling Nagpur else the Cs and Ds living there might have caused outbreak like in Pune and Mumbai currently.

1 hour ago, GunnerY2J said:

And I knew it won't be taken well as well, nothing about acting smart.

Why don't you just get a mask and call it a day? I know breathing is difficult in that but you seem to be a fit n fine adult, just wear it, if not for you then for the others you spend your time with. 

Ladies and gents. This insane discussion has gone on for long enough.

N95, N99 or P99 are the most effective at mitigating the possibility of getting infected by aerosol particles carrying any virus or bacteria. If you wear an N95 or similar particulated mask, but do not follow proper procedures whilst wearing (creating a proper seal, not touching the mask, etc. ) or removing the mask; follow proper disinfection procedures before wearing and after removing the mask, then, you increase the possibility of infection by cross-contamination.

An N95 mask is not a silver bullet, it only helps in mitigating the risk of infection for the person wearing it.

An N95 or similar masks are only a part of the proper bio-security protocol.

Please do not use N95 masks unless you are an essential worker. Let us prioritise N95 masks or their equivalent for healthcare workers.

Use triple layer or double layer surgical masks with a density of 90 GSM per layer. If you do not have access to good surgical masks ( there are many spurious surgical masks being sold currently ), then try to purchase a 100% cotton mask with a 150-200 GSM.

Please use masks and follow proper bio-security protocols.

@Bird Bird Bird please correct me any mistakes I may have posted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, icestrok said:

Why don't you just get a mask and call it a day? I know breathing is difficult in that but you seem to be a fit n fine adult, just wear it, if not for you then for the others you spend your time with. 

If I'm c then others living with are also in the same.

I'm definitely very fine by that though.

So not a question of not caring for ones I live with.

Edited by GunnerY2J

16 minutes ago, GunnerY2J said:

If I'm c then others living with are also in the same.

I'm definitely very fine by that though.

So not a question of not caring for ones I live with.

Virus doesn't attack by looking at some hypothetical categories created by you.

It doesn't operate like below:

Coronavirus: Oooh look at these bunch of people wearing hanky instead of masks, let's attack them, so easy to penetrate. But wait a minute, these all belong to C category created by GunnerY2J on Indianvideogamer.com forums. So I JUST CANNOT infect them. Sigh. On to others now. Have fun C category hanky wearing dudes.

No it doesn't work like this.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Big Boss said:

Virus doesn't attack by looking at some hypothetical categories created by you.

It doesn't operate like below:

No it doesn't work like this.

When did I say I'm less susceptible to the virus ?

Edit : I m feeling that the thread is getting spoilt because of me.

Edited by GunnerY2J

5 hours ago, Ne0 said:

Aren't N95 just single use masks ? They're not meant for multiple user afaik.  Maybe someone else can clarify.

Well, AIIMS, CDC and many other institutions have made guidelines on reusage of N95 by healthcare professionals in case of shortage, and considering the common man is not exposed to so many virus particles, they can work in our normal schedule too. 

If you have to go out for 5 days a week, buy 6 N95 masks - 1 extra for contingency. Use 1 mask on Day 1 for the full time you are out, keep it in a brown paper bag once you take it off (away from the sun). Repeat the same for a new mask for D2/3/4/5. Reuse Mask 1 again on Day 8. 

Some studies have shown that via this method, it takes about 72 hours for the mask to get disinfected. Considering you are using 1 mask in 7 days, you are allowing twice the time for disinfection, which should be adequate. 

Most guidelines agree that via this method, you can reuse the masks about 4 times. So that's a month of usage with 5/6 masks considering you are using them for most of the week. Not bad, eh ?!

I personally use this at home. We have labelled masks for mom, dad, wife, kid, myself, and the day we started wearing it. 

P.S: There is nothing like a washable N95 mask. There is no NIOSH approved washable mask AFAIK. If looking at EU standards, buy FFP2 or beyond. Last would be KN95 since that's China standard, and well..China. Enough said. 

58 minutes ago, silica said:

Ladies and gents. This insane discussion has gone on for long enough.

N95, N99 or P99 are the most effective at mitigating the possibility of getting infected by aerosol particles carrying any virus or bacteria. If you wear an N95 or similar particulated mask, but do not follow proper procedures whilst wearing (creating a proper seal, not touching the mask, etc. ) or removing the mask; follow proper disinfection procedures before wearing and after removing the mask, then, you increase the possibility of infection by cross-contamination.

An N95 mask is not a silver bullet, it only helps in mitigating the risk of infection for the person wearing it.

An N95 or similar masks are only a part of the proper bio-security protocol.

Please do not use N95 masks unless you are an essential worker. Let us prioritise N95 masks or their equivalent for healthcare workers.

Use triple layer or double layer surgical masks with a density of 90 GSM per layer. If you do not have access to good surgical masks ( there are many spurious surgical masks being sold currently ), then try to purchase a 100% cotton mask with a 150-200 GSM.

Please use masks and follow proper bio-security protocols.

@Bird Bird Bird please correct me any mistakes I may have posted.

I would say most of it is correct, except I think that N95 should also be used by individuals (non-medical personnel) if you are venturing to a high risk zone (crowded place, no social distancing, hospital, clinic etc.)

For those who would love to read and reason, some links:

1) https://www.researchgate.net/publication/340603522_Face_Masks_Against_COVID-19_An_Evidence_Review

2) https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/5/4/e006577

3) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7191274/

4) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7108646/

5) https://science.thewire.in/the-sciences/novel-coronavirus-transmission-face-masks-goggles-protection-statistical-effect-studies/ (keeping biases of the site aside, it's a pretty good digest)

Bottom line is that the jury is still out on the value of cloth masks. It depends on a lot - fit, layers, whether we are looking at ingress or egress etc. And these are not easy parameters to study since they will vary by individuals. N95 is definitely the current standard. Any mask is better than no mask, then you gradually move to surgical mask (which have zero fitting, and hence are not so useful in my personal opinion), and finally N95 masks. 

Edited by Bird Bird Bird
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

If the virus is truly airborne then we're f**ked, but I doubt it is. Luckily very few viruses actually survive dry particles they need to sit on to be airborne and travel long distances. Most just die out as soon as the water droplet evaporates (like Covid-19).

35 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Forgot to mention: DON'T use a respirator. They are single use, and you have to discard them after every use. The respirator portion itself can get highly contaminated with bacilli, viruses etc

Is respirator of this kind? 

venus-4200-n95-respirator-n95-mask-500x5

I and my mother have been using ones like this for around a month now :fear:

14 minutes ago, PhantomShade said:

Is respirator of this kind? 

venus-4200-n95-respirator-n95-mask-500x5

I and my mother have been using ones like this for around a month now :fear:

Yup. Strictly one time use. 

Local hospital does not even allow patients wearing this to go inside. They have to purchase another mask first. 

38 minutes ago, Big Boss said:

What about F95 or P95 masks @Bird Bird Bird?

I don't know about F rating (not to be confused with FFP). 

P rating is used for oil based particles, and thus are not rated by CDC (rather different work environments). So I don't think we have evidence in medical literature.